March 4: Day of the Week
March 4, 2016 was the 64th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 302 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 4 Historical Event(s)
- 306Martyrdom of Saint Adrian of Nicomedia.
- 1665English King Charles II declares war on the Netherlands marking the start of the Second Anglo-Dutch War.
- 1675John Flamsteed is appointed the first Astronomer Royal of England.
- 1791A Constitutional Act is introduced by the British House of Commons in London which envisages the separation of Canada into Lower Canada (Quebec) and Upper Canada (Ontario).
- 1890The longest bridge in Great Britain, the Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland, measuring 1710 ft long, is opened by the Prince of Wales, who later becomes King Edward VII.
- 1909U.S. President William Taft used what became known as a Saxbe fix, a mechanism to avoid the restriction of the U.S. Constitution’s Ineligibility Clause, to appoint Philander C. Knox as U.S. Secretary of State
- 1977The 1977 Bucharest Earthquake in southern and eastern Europe kills more than 1,500.
- 1998Gay rights: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services: The Supreme Court of the United States rules that federal laws banning on-the-job sexual harassment also apply when both parties are the same sex.
- 20014 March 2001 BBC bombing: a massive car bomb explodes in front of the BBC Television Centre in London, seriously injuring 1 person. The attack was attributed to the Real IRA.
- 2007Estonian parliamentary election, 2007: Approximately 30,000 voters take advantage of electronic voting in Estonia, the world’s first nationwide voting where part of the votecasting is allowed in the form of remote electronic voting via the Internet.
Who were born on March 4?
- 1793Karl Lachmann, German philologist (d. 1851)
- 1886Paul Bazelaire, French cellist (d. 1958)
- 1921Dinny Pails, Australian tennis player (d. 1986)
- 1938Roy Hazelwood, former FBI profiler of sex crimes
- 1941Adrian Lyne, English film director
- 1957Jim Dwyer, American journalist
- 1967Andrew Osmond, English writer
- 1970Caroline Vis, Dutch professional tennis player
- 1976Vic Wunderle, American archer
- 1979Ariel Carreño, Argentine football striker
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.