March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2017 was the 68th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1009First known mention of Lithuania, in the annals of the monastery of Quedlinburg.
- 1841The U.S. Supreme Court rules that captive Africans who had seized control of the ship carrying them had been taken into slavery illegally.
- 1842The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- 1933Great Depression: President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress, the first of his New Deal policies.
- 1956Soviet military suppresses a mass demonstrations in the Georgian SSR, reacting to Nikita Khrushchev’s de-Stalinization policy.
- 1976Forty-two people die in the 1976 Cavalese cable-car disaster, the worst cable-car accident to date.
- 1977The Hanafi Muslim Siege: In a thirty-nine hour standoff, armed Hanafi Muslims seize three Washington, D.C., buildings, killing two and taking 149 hostage.
- 1990Dr. Antonia Novello is sworn in as Surgeon General of the United States, becoming the first female and Hispanic American to serve in that position.
- 1991Massive demonstrations are held against Slobodan Milošević in Belgrade.
- 1997Comet Hale-Bopp: Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia are treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits Hale-Bopp to be seen during the day.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1627John Bowne, English-born American Quaker (d. 1695)
- 1892Vita Sackville-West, English writer and gardener (d. 1962)
- 1934Joyce Van Patten, American actress
- 1934Marlene Streit, Canadian golfer
- 1955Ornella Muti, Italian actress
- 1956Mark Dantonio, American football coach
- 1968Brian Heidik, American reality-show contestant
- 1972Spencer Howson, Australian broadcaster
- 1973Aaron Boone, American baseball player
- 1979Melina Perez, American professional wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.