March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2017 is the 68th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1500The fleet of Pedro Alvares Cabral leaves Lisbon for the Indies. The fleet will discover Brazil which lies within boundaries granted to Portugal in the Treaty of Tordesillas.
- 1796Napoléon Bonaparte marries his first wife, Joséphine de Beauharnais.
- 1841The U.S. Supreme Court rules that captive Africans who had seized control of the ship carrying them had been taken into slavery illegally.
- 1842Giuseppe Verdi’s third opera, Nabucco, receives its première performance in Milan; its success establishes Verdi as one of Italy’s foremost opera writers.
- 1842The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- 1933Great Depression: President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress, the first of his New Deal policies.
- 1944The Soviet Air Forces conduct heavy bombing on Tallinn, Estonia, killing up to 800 people, mostly civilians.
- 1954McCarthyism: CBS television broadcasts the See It Now episode, “A Report on Senator Joseph McCarthy”, produced by Fred Friendly.
- 1960Dr. Belding Hibbard Scribner implants for the first time a shunt he invented into a patient, which allows the patient to receive hemodialysis on a regular basis.
- 1977The Hanafi Muslim Siege: In a thirty-nine hour standoff, armed Hanafi Muslims seize three Washington, D.C., buildings, killing two and taking 149 hostage.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1213Hugh IV, Duke of Burgundy, French crusader (d. 1271)
- 1934Yuri Gagarin, Soviet cosmonaut and the first human in space (d. 1968)
- 1935Andrew Viterbi, American scientist and businessman
- 1944Lee Irvine, South African cricketer
- 1950Danny Sullivan, American race car driver
- 1961Rick Steiner, American wrestler
- 1966Michael Patrick MacDonald, American memorist
- 1977Yamila Diaz-Rahi, Argentine supermodel
- 1985Parthiv Patel, Indian cricket player
- 1996Darsheel Safary, Indian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.