March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2017 is the 68th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1009First known mention of Lithuania, in the annals of the monastery of Quedlinburg.
- 1842Giuseppe Verdi’s third opera, Nabucco, receives its première performance in Milan; its success establishes Verdi as one of Italy’s foremost opera writers.
- 1916Pancho Villa leads nearly 500 Mexican raiders in an attack against Columbus, New Mexico.
- 1954McCarthyism: CBS television broadcasts the See It Now episode, “A Report on Senator Joseph McCarthy”, produced by Fred Friendly.
- 1957A magnitude 8.3 earthquake in the Andreanof Islands, Alaska triggers a Pacific-wide tsunami causing extensive damage to Hawaii and Oahu.
- 1961Sputnik 9 successfully launches, carrying a human dummy nicknamed Ivan Ivanovich, and demonstrating that Soviet Union was ready to begin human spaceflight.
- 1976Forty-two people die in the 1976 Cavalese cable-car disaster, the worst cable-car accident to date.
- 1977The Hanafi Muslim Siege: In a thirty-nine hour standoff, armed Hanafi Muslims seize three Washington, D.C., buildings, killing two and taking 149 hostage.
- 1989Financially-troubled Eastern Air Lines filed for bankruptcy.
- 1991Massive demonstrations are held against Slobodan Milošević in Belgrade.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1806Edwin Forrest, American actor and philanthropist (d. 1872)
- 1943Bobby Fischer, American chess player (d. 2008)
- 1956David Willetts, UK Minister of State for Universities and Science (Conservative)
- 1964Juliette Binoche, French actress
- 1970Shannon Leto, American drummer and actor (30 Seconds to Mars)
- 1972Spencer Howson, Australian broadcaster
- 1981Antonio Bryant, American football player
- 1983Wayne Simien, American basketball player
- 1985Jesse Litsch, American baseball player
- 1987Bow Wow, American rapper and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.