March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2017 was the 68th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1500The fleet of Pedro Alvares Cabral leaves Lisbon for the Indies. The fleet will discover Brazil which lies within boundaries granted to Portugal in the Treaty of Tordesillas.
- 1842Giuseppe Verdi’s third opera, Nabucco, receives its première performance in Milan; its success establishes Verdi as one of Italy’s foremost opera writers.
- 1862American Civil War: The USS Monitor and Ship CSS fight to a draw in the Battle of Hampton Roads, the first battle between two ironclad warships.
- 1896Prime Minister Francesco Crispi resigns following the Italian defeat at the Battle of Adowa.
- 1910The Westmoreland County Coal Strike, involving 15,000 coal miners represented by the United Mine Workers, begins.
- 1925Pink’s War: The first Royal Air Force operation conducted independently of the British Army or Royal Navy begins.
- 1945The Bombing of Tokyo by the United States Army Air Forces began, one of the most destructive bombing raids in history.
- 1956Soviet military suppresses a mass demonstrations in the Georgian SSR, reacting to Nikita Khrushchev’s de-Stalinization policy.
- 1959The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- 1961Sputnik 9 successfully launches, carrying a human dummy nicknamed Ivan Ivanovich, and demonstrating that Soviet Union was ready to begin human spaceflight.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1454Amerigo Vespucci, Italian explorer and cartographer (d. 1512)
- 1627John Bowne, English-born American Quaker (d. 1695)
- 1833Frederick A. Schroeder, industrialist and mayor of Brooklyn (d. 1899)
- 1956Mark Dantonio, American football coach
- 1971C-Murder, American rapper
- 1971Emmanuel Lewis, American actor
- 1975Didiayer Snyder, Australian television personality
- 1976Ben Mulroney, Canadian television host
- 1984Abdoulay Konko, French footballer
- 1984Julia Mancuso, American skier
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.