Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1922 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1922 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Dog in Chinese astrology.
- March 10, 1922 – Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in India, tried for sedition, and sentenced to six years in prison, only to be released after nearly two years for an appendicitis operation.
- June 30, 1922 – In Washington D.C., U.S. Secretary of State Charles Evans Hughes and Dominican Ambassador Francisco J. Peynado sign the Hughes-Peynado agreement, which ends the United States occupation of the Dominican Republic.
- July 9, 1922 – Johnny Weissmuller swims the 100 meters freestyle in 58.6 seconds breaking the world swimming record and the 'minute barrier'.
- September 13, 1922 – The final act of the Greco-Turkish War, the Great Fire of Smyrna, commences.
- November 1, 1922 – The last sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Mehmed VI, abdicates.
- November 24, 1922 – Author and Irish Republican Army member Robert Erskine Childers is executed by an Irish Free State firing squad for illegally carrying a revolver.
- December 6, 1922 – One year to the day after the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty, the Irish Free State comes into existence.
- December 9, 1922 – Gabriel Narutowicz is announced the first president of Poland.
- December 16, 1922 – President of Poland Gabriel Narutowicz is assassinated by Eligiusz Niewiadomski at the Zachęta Gallery in Warsaw.
Who Were Born On 1922?
- January 7, 1922 – Jean-Pierre Rampal, French flutist (d. 2000)
- February 4, 1922 – Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Indian classical singer (d. 2011)
- March 3, 1922 – Nándor Hidegkuti, Hungarian footballer (d. 2002)
- June 24, 1922 – Tata Giacobetti, Italian singer (Quartetto Cetra) (d. 1988)
- July 14, 1922 – Elfriede Rinkel, German Nazi concentration camp guard
- July 26, 1922 – Blake Edwards, American film director (d. 2010)
- August 24, 1922 – Howard Zinn, American historian and activist (d. 2010)
- October 16, 1922 – Leon Sullivan, American civil rights leader and pastor (d. 2001)
- November 14, 1922 – Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Egyptian UN Secretary-General
- December 11, 1922 – Grigoris Bithikotsis, Greek singer (d. 2005)