Hey! How’s your career today? Get the Career Analysis Report and get insights about your professional working life. Find out the circumstances that shape your professional life to improve your earning power. Start to seize career opportunities today! (Sponsored link)
1934 Historical Event(s)
- January 13, 1934 – The Candidate of Science degree is established in the USSR.
- February 2, 1934 – The Export-Import Bank of the United States is incorporated.
- February 14, 1934 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Dog in Chinese astrology.
- February 23, 1934 – Leopold III becomes King of Belgium.
- March 24, 1934 – U.S. Congress passes the Tydings-McDuffie Act allowing the Philippines to become a self-governing commonwealth.
- May 15, 1934 – Kārlis Ulmanis establishes an authoritarian government in Latvia.
- May 28, 1934 – Near Callander, Ontario, the Dionne quintuplets are born to Oliva and Elzire Dionne; they will be the first quintuplets to survive infancy.
- July 20, 1934 – 1934 West Coast waterfront strike: In Seattle, police fire tear gas on and club 2,000 striking longshoremen. The governor of Oregon calls out the National Guard to break a strike on the Portland docks.
- September 26, 1934 – Steamship RMS Queen Mary is launched.
- December 1, 1934 – In the Soviet Union, Politburo member Sergei Kirov is shot dead by Leonid Nikolayev at the Communist Party headquarters in Leningrad.
Who Were Born On 1934?
- January 14, 1934 – Richard Briers, English actor
- February 17, 1934 – Alan Bates, English actor (d. 2003)
- February 27, 1934 – Van Williams, American actor
- August 18, 1934 – Roberto Clemente, Puerto Rican baseball player and humanitarian (d. 1972)
- August 22, 1934 – Norman Schwarzkopf, U.S. general
- September 29, 1934 – Skandor Akbar, American professional wrestler and manager (d. 2010)
- October 4, 1934 – Sam Huff, American football player
- October 5, 1934 – Kenneth D. Taylor, Canadian ambassador to Iran during the 1979 hostage crisis
- December 19, 1934 – Casper R. Taylor, Jr., American politician
- December 24, 1934 – Stjepan Mesić, president of Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Secretary General of Non-Aligned Movement and president of Croatia