Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1937 Historical Event(s)
- February 11, 1937 – A sit-down strike ends when General Motors recognizes the United Auto Workers Union.
- March 18, 1937 – Spanish Civil War: Spanish Republican forces defeat the Italians at the Battle of Guadalajara.
- July 22, 1937 – New Deal: the United States Senate votes down President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s proposal to add more justices to the Supreme Court of the United States.
- September 22, 1937 – Spanish Civil War: Peña Blanca is taken; the end of the Battle of El Mazuco.
- November 8, 1937 – The Nazi exhibition Der ewige Jude (“The Eternal Jew”) opens in Munich.
- December 4, 1937 – The first issue of the children’s comic, The Dandy Comic, is published, one of the first to use speech balloons.
- December 16, 1937 – Theodore Cole and Ralph Roe attempt to escape from the American federal prison on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay; neither is ever seen again.
- December 21, 1937 – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the world’s first full-length animated feature, premieres at the Carthay Circle Theater.
- December 29, 1937 – The Irish Free State is replaced by a new state called Ireland with the adoption of a new constitution.
Who Were Born On 1937?
- January 8, 1937 – Dame Shirley Bassey, Welsh singer
- February 25, 1937 – Tom Courtenay, English actor
- June 23, 1937 – Niki Sullivan, American guitarist (The Crickets) (d. 2004)
- July 12, 1937 – Michel Louvain, French Canadian singer
- July 18, 1937 – Roald Hoffman, Polish-born chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- October 23, 1937 – Carlos Lamarca, Brazilian military turned guerrilla leader (d. 1971)
- October 24, 1937 – Santo Farina, American musician and composer (Santo & Johnny)
- October 25, 1937 – Roberto Menescal, Brazilian jazz guitarist important to founding of bossa nova
- December 1, 1937 – Chuck Low, American actor
- December 2, 1937 – Manohar Joshi, Indian politician