Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1937 Historical Event(s)
- January 19, 1937 – Howard Hughes sets a new air record by flying from Los Angeles, California to New York City in 7 hours, 28 minutes, 25 seconds.
- February 11, 1937 – A sit-down strike ends when General Motors recognizes the United Auto Workers Union.
- April 30, 1937 – The Philippines holds a plebiscite for Filipino women on whether they should be extended the right to suffrage; over 90% would vote in the affirmative.
- June 3, 1937 – The Duke of Windsor marries Wallis Simpson.
- August 2, 1937 – The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 is passed in America, the effect of which is to render marijuana and all its by-products illegal.
- August 14, 1937 – Chinese Air Force Day: The beginning of air-to-air combat of the Second Sino-Japanese War and World War II in general, when 6 Imperial Japanese Mitsubishi G3M bombers are shot down by the Nationalist Chinese Air Force while raiding Chinese air bases.
- September 24, 1937 – Second Sino-Japanese War: The Chinese Eighth Route Army gains a minor, but morale-boosting victory in the Battle of Pingxingguan.
- October 1, 1937 – The Japanese city Handa is founded in Aichi Prefecture.
- December 12, 1937 – USS Panay incident: Japanese aircraft bomb and sink US gunboat USS Panay on the Yangtze River in China.
Who Were Born On 1937?
- January 14, 1937 – Ken Higgs, English cricketer
- February 26, 1937 – Hagood Hardy, Canadian musician and composer (d. 1997)
- March 4, 1937 – Graham Dowling, New Zealand cricketer
- April 6, 1937 – Merle Haggard, American musician
- May 7, 1937 – Claude Raymond, Quebec baseball player
- May 18, 1937 – Jacques Santer, Luxembourg statesman
- June 12, 1937 – Antal Festetics, Austrian biologist
- September 4, 1937 – Gene Ludwig, American jazz organist (d. 2010)
- October 11, 1937 – Sir Bobby Charlton, English footballer
- December 29, 1937 – Barbara Steele, British actress