Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1947 Historical Event(s)
- January 22, 1947 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Pig in Chinese astrology.
- March 25, 1947 – An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111.
- April 9, 1947 – The Journey of Reconciliation, the first interracial Freedom Ride begins through the upper South in violation of Jim Crow laws. The riders wanted enforcement of the United States Supreme Court’s 1946 Irene Morgan decision that banned racial segregation in interstate travel.
- April 16, 1947 – Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- May 1, 1947 – Portella della Ginestra massacre against May Day celebrations in Sicily by the bandit and separatist leader Salvatore Giuliano; 11 persons are killed and 33 wounded.
- June 5, 1947 – Marshall Plan: In a speech at Harvard University, United States Secretary of State George Marshall calls for economic aid to war-torn Europe.
- August 7, 1947 – Thor Heyerdahl’s balsa wood raft the Kon-Tiki, smashes into the reef at Raroia in the Tuamotu Islands after a 101-day, 7000 km journey across the Pacific Ocean in an attempt to prove that pre-historic peoples could have traveled from South America.
- October 26, 1947 – The Maharaja of Kashmir agrees to allow his kingdom to join India.
- December 16, 1947 – William Shockley, John Bardeen and Walter Brattain build the first practical point-contact transistor.
Who Were Born On 1947?
- March 3, 1947 – Jennifer Warnes, American singer and songwriter
- March 6, 1947 – Martin Kove, American actor
- May 4, 1947 – Richard Jenkins, American actor
- July 1, 1947 – Shirley Hemphill, American actress (d. 1999)
- July 30, 1947 – Anna Panayiotopoulou, Greek actress and theatrical writer
- October 22, 1947 – Apostolos Kontos, Greek basketball player
- November 27, 1947 – Neil Rosenshein, American tenor
- December 8, 1947 – Gérard Blanc, French singer
- December 23, 1947 – Graham Bonnet, English musician
- December 27, 1947 – Willy Polleunis, Belgian athlete