Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1947 Historical Event(s)
- January 6, 1947 – Pan American Airlines becomes the first commercial airline to schedule a flight around the world.
- January 15, 1947 – The brutalized corpse of Elizabeth Short (“The Black Dahlia”) is found in Leimert Park, Los Angeles.
- January 22, 1947 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Pig in Chinese astrology.
- February 21, 1947 – In New York City, Edwin Land demonstrates the first “instant camera”, the Polaroid Land Camera, to a meeting of the Optical Society of America.
- April 28, 1947 – Thor Heyerdahl and five crew mates set out from Peru on the Kon-Tiki to prove that Peruvian natives could have settled Polynesia.
- August 7, 1947 – Thor Heyerdahl’s balsa wood raft the Kon-Tiki, smashes into the reef at Raroia in the Tuamotu Islands after a 101-day, 7000 km journey across the Pacific Ocean in an attempt to prove that pre-historic peoples could have traveled from South America.
- September 18, 1947 – The United States Air Force becomes an independent branch of the United States armed forces.
- November 9, 1947 – India forcibly annexes Junagadh from Pakistan.
- November 25, 1947 – Red Scare: The “Hollywood Ten” are blacklisted by Hollywood movie studios.
- December 25, 1947 – The Constitution of the Republic of China goes into effect.
Who Were Born On 1947?
- January 4, 1947 – Chris Cutler, English musician and composer (Henry Cow, Art Bears)
- February 22, 1947 – Richard North Patterson, American author
- March 4, 1947 – Jan Garbarek, Norwegian musician
- April 21, 1947 – John Weider, British rock musician (Eric Burdon and the Animals, Family)
- June 18, 1947 – Linda Thorson, Canadian actress
- July 30, 1947 – Françoise Barré-Sinoussi, virologist and Nobel Prize winner
- September 18, 1947 – Drew Gilpin Faust, American historian
- November 25, 1947 – Jonathan Kaplan, American filmmaker
- December 27, 1947 – Tracy Nelson, American blues singer