Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1947 Historical Event(s)
- January 22, 1947 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Pig in Chinese astrology.
- January 24, 1947 – Greek banker Dimitrios Maximos becomes Prime Minister of Greece.
- April 1, 1947 – Paul becomes king of Greece, on the death of his childless elder brother, George II.
- April 9, 1947 – The Journey of Reconciliation, the first interracial Freedom Ride begins through the upper South in violation of Jim Crow laws. The riders wanted enforcement of the United States Supreme Court’s 1946 Irene Morgan decision that banned racial segregation in interstate travel.
- April 30, 1947 – In Nevada, the Boulder Dam is renamed Hoover Dam a second time.
- June 5, 1947 – Marshall Plan: In a speech at Harvard University, United States Secretary of State George Marshall calls for economic aid to war-torn Europe.
- August 4, 1947 – The Supreme Court of Japan is established.
- November 29, 1947 – My Trach Massacre: First Indochina War.
- December 2, 1947 – Jerusalem Riots of 1947: Riots break out in Jerusalem in response to the approval of the 1947 UN Partition Plan.
Who Were Born On 1947?
- January 9, 1947 – Ronnie Landfield, American artist
- January 16, 1947 – Harvey Proctor, British politician
- March 6, 1947 – Dick Fosbury, American athlete
- March 13, 1947 – Beat Richner, Swiss physician and cellist
- April 1, 1947 – Robin Scott, English singer
- August 13, 1947 – Margareta Winberg, Swedish politician
- October 29, 1947 – Richard Dreyfuss, American actor
- November 6, 1947 – E. Lee Spence, pioneer underwater archaeologist
- November 24, 1947 – Dave Sinclair, English musician (Caravan, Hatfield and the North)