Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1947 Historical Event(s)
- January 22, 1947 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Pig in Chinese astrology.
- February 21, 1947 – In New York City, Edwin Land demonstrates the first “instant camera”, the Polaroid Land Camera, to a meeting of the Optical Society of America.
- February 25, 1947 – The State of Prussia ceases to exist.
- April 9, 1947 – The Journey of Reconciliation, the first interracial Freedom Ride begins through the upper South in violation of Jim Crow laws. The riders wanted enforcement of the United States Supreme Court’s 1946 Irene Morgan decision that banned racial segregation in interstate travel.
- June 24, 1947 – Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely reported UFO sighting near Mount Rainier, Washington.
- July 1, 1947 – The Philippine Air Force is established.
- July 10, 1947 – Muhammad Ali Jinnah is recommended as the first Governor-General of Pakistan by British Prime Minister Clement Attlee.
- October 20, 1947 – United States of America and Pakistan establish diplomatic relations for the first time.
- October 30, 1947 – The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which is the foundation of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), is founded.
- December 23, 1947 – The transistor is first demonstrated at Bell Laboratories.
Who Were Born On 1947?
- January 1, 1947 – Paula Tsui, Hong Kong singer
- January 21, 1947 – Pye Hastings, English singer and musician (Caravan)
- February 6, 1947 – Bill Staines, American singer and songwriter
- February 25, 1947 – Giuseppe Betori, Archbishop of Florence
- March 4, 1947 – Mike Sheahan, Australian journalist and sports television personality
- April 27, 1947 – George Kenneth Butterfield, American politician
- July 16, 1947 – Assata Shakur, American BPP and BLA activist
- August 17, 1947 – Gary Talley, American musician (Box Tops)
- October 4, 1947 – Jim Fielder, American bassist (Blood, Sweat & Tears)
- November 17, 1947 – Steven E. de Souza, American scriptwriter