Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1947 Historical Event(s)
- January 6, 1947 – Pan American Airlines becomes the first commercial airline to schedule a flight around the world.
- January 22, 1947 – KTLA, the first commercial television station west of the Mississippi River, begins operation in Hollywood, California.
- March 25, 1947 – An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111.
- June 24, 1947 – Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely reported UFO sighting near Mount Rainier, Washington.
- September 18, 1947 – The National Security Council and the Central Intelligence Agency were established in the United States under the National Security Act.
- September 30, 1947 – The World Series, featuring the New York Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers, is televised for the first time.
- October 14, 1947 – Captain Chuck Yeager of the U.S. Air Force flies a Bell X-1 rocket-powered experimental aircraft, the Glamorous Glennis, faster than the speed of sound - over the high desert of Southern California - and becomes the first pilot and the first airplane to do so in level flight.
- November 2, 1947 – In California, designer Howard Hughes performs the maiden (and only) flight of the Spruce Goose or H-4 The Hercules; the largest fixed-wing aircraft ever built.
- December 2, 1947 – Jerusalem Riots of 1947: Riots break out in Jerusalem in response to the approval of the 1947 UN Partition Plan.
Who Were Born On 1947?
- March 6, 1947 – Kiki Dee, British singer
- March 16, 1947 – Baek Yoon-sik, South Korean actor
- April 8, 1947 – Larry Norman, American singer/songwriter (d. 2008)
- May 12, 1947 – Catherine Yronwode, American writer and editor
- June 28, 1947 – Mark Helprin, American writer
- July 12, 1947 – Richard C. McCarty, American professor of psychology
- August 12, 1947 – Sam Rosen, American sportscaster
- November 13, 1947 – Gene Garber, American baseball player
- December 14, 1947 – Linda Sutton, English artist
- December 16, 1947 – Ben Cross, English actor