Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1948 – The British railway network is nationalised to form British Railways.
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 22, 1948 – Communist revolution in Czechoslovakia.
- March 20, 1948 – With a Musicians Union ban lifted, the first telecasts of classical music in the United States, under Eugene Ormandy and Arturo Toscanini, are given on CBS and NBC.
- May 3, 1948 – The U.S. Supreme Court rules, in Shelley v. Kraemer, that covenants prohibiting the sale of real estate to blacks and other minorities are legally unenforceable.
- May 13, 1948 – 1948 Arab-Israeli War: the Kfar Etzion massacre is committed by Arab irregulars, the day before the declaration of independence of the state of Israel on May 14.
- May 20, 1948 – Chiang Kai-shek elected to be the first President of the Republic of China.
- June 20, 1948 – Toast of the Town, later The Ed Sullivan Show, makes its television debut.
- July 5, 1948 – National Health Service Acts created the national public health systems in the United Kingdom
- December 12, 1948 – Malayan Emergency: Batang Kali Massacre – 14 members of the Scots Guards stationed in Malaysia allegedly massacre 24 unarmed civilians and set fire to the village.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- January 4, 1948 – Kostas Davourlis, Greek footballer (d. 1992)
- February 17, 1948 – Don Scardino, American television director and actor
- February 24, 1948 – J. Jayalalithaa, Indian politician
- February 26, 1948 – Sharyn McCrumb, American writer
- September 12, 1948 – Luis Lima, Argentinian tenor
- September 20, 1948 – John Panozzo, American musician (Styx) (d. 1996)
- November 10, 1948 – Aaron Brown, American broadcast journalist
- November 12, 1948 – Errol Brown, English singer (Hot Chocolate)
- November 26, 1948 – Claes Elfsberg, Swedish television presenter