Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- March 18, 1948 – Soviet consultants leave Yugoslavia in the first sign of a Tito-Stalin split.
- May 13, 1948 – 1948 Arab-Israeli War: the Kfar Etzion massacre is committed by Arab irregulars, the day before the declaration of independence of the state of Israel on May 14.
- June 7, 1948 – Edvard Beneš resigns as President of Czechoslovakia rather than signing a constitution making his nation a Communist state.
- July 16, 1948 – The storming of the cockpit of the Miss Macao passenger seaplane, operated by a subsidiary of the Cathay Pacific Airways, marks the first aircraft hijacking of a commercial plane.
- August 3, 1948 – Whittaker Chambers accuses Alger Hiss of being a communist and a spy for the Soviet Union.
- August 10, 1948 – Candid Camera makes its television debut after being on radio for a year as Candid Microphone.
- August 25, 1948 – The House Un-American Activities Committee holds first-ever televised congressional hearing: “Confrontation Day” between Whittaker Chambers and Alger Hiss.
- September 12, 1948 – Invasion of the State of Hyderabad by the Indian Army on the day after the Pakistani leader Jinnah’s death.
- October 28, 1948 – Swiss chemist Paul Müller is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discovery of the insecticidal properties of DDT.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- March 4, 1948 – Shakin' Stevens, Welsh singer
- April 17, 1948 – Jan Hammer, Czech composer
- April 30, 1948 – Perry King, American actor
- June 1, 1948 – Michel Plasse, French Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2006)
- June 21, 1948 – Andrzej Sapkowski, Polish writer
- June 27, 1948 – Camile Baudoin, American musician
- July 7, 1948 – Jean Leclerc, French-Canadian actor
- August 16, 1948 – Mike Jorgensen, American baseball player
- August 17, 1948 – Rod MacDonald, American musician
- September 10, 1948 – Zhang Chengzhi, Chinese writer