Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- February 7, 1948 – Neil Harvey becomes the youngest Australian to score a century in Test cricket.
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- March 18, 1948 – Soviet consultants leave Yugoslavia in the first sign of a Tito-Stalin split.
- May 3, 1948 – The U.S. Supreme Court rules, in Shelley v. Kraemer, that covenants prohibiting the sale of real estate to blacks and other minorities are legally unenforceable.
- May 13, 1948 – 1948 Arab-Israeli War: the Kfar Etzion massacre is committed by Arab irregulars, the day before the declaration of independence of the state of Israel on May 14.
- June 20, 1948 – Toast of the Town, later The Ed Sullivan Show, makes its television debut.
- June 26, 1948 – William Shockley files the original patent for the grown junction transistor, the first bipolar junction transistor.
- July 28, 1948 – The Metropolitan Police Flying Squad foils a bullion robbery in the “Battle of London Airport”.
- July 29, 1948 – Olympic Games: The Games of the XIV Olympiad – after a hiatus of 12 years caused by World War II, the first Summer Olympics to be held since the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, open in London.
- August 3, 1948 – Whittaker Chambers accuses Alger Hiss of being a communist and a spy for the Soviet Union.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- January 12, 1948 – Khalid Abdul Muhammed, American Nation of Islam spokesman (d. 2001)
- March 19, 1948 – Vincent van der Bijl, South African cricketer
- March 28, 1948 – Dianne Wiest, American actress
- May 30, 1948 – Michael Piller, American screenwriter (d. 2005)
- August 3, 1948 – Jean-Pierre Raffarin, French politician
- August 13, 1948 – Kathleen Battle, American soprano
- August 16, 1948 – Barry Hay, Indian-born Dutch singer (Golden Earring)
- August 31, 1948 – Rudolf Schenker, German guitarist (Scorpions)
- September 18, 1948 – Christopher Skase, Australian fugitive businessman (d. 2001)
- September 19, 1948 – Mihai Timofti, Moldovan director, actor and musician