Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- February 8, 1948 – The formal creation of the Korean People’s Army of North Korea is announced.
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- April 13, 1948 – The Hadassah medical convoy massacre: In an ambush, 79 Jewish doctors, nurses and medical students from Hadassah Hospital and a British soldier are massacred by Arabs in Sheikh Jarra near Jerusalem.
- April 28, 1948 – Igor Stravinsky conducted the premier of his American ballet, Orpheus, in New York City at New York City Center.
- May 3, 1948 – The U.S. Supreme Court rules, in Shelley v. Kraemer, that covenants prohibiting the sale of real estate to blacks and other minorities are legally unenforceable.
- May 15, 1948 – Following the demise of the British Mandate of Palestine, Egypt, Transjordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia invade Israel thus starting the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
- June 28, 1948 – The Cominform circulates the “Resolution on the situation in the Communist Party of Yugoslavia”; Yugoslavia is expelled from the Communist bloc.
- August 15, 1948 – The Republic of Korea is established south of the 38th parallel north.
- December 26, 1948 – Cardinal József Mindszenty is arrested in Hungary and accused of treason and conspiracy.
- December 30, 1948 – The Cole Porter Broadway musical, Kiss Me, Kate (1,077 performances), opens at the New Century Theatre and becomes the first show to win the Best Musical Tony Award.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- January 14, 1948 – Valeri Kharlamov, Soviet ice hockey player (d. 1981)
- February 3, 1948 – Jim Lockhart, Irish musician (Horslips)
- March 18, 1948 – Guy Lapointe, Canadian ice hockey player
- April 16, 1948 – Lynne Franks, British public relations consultant
- September 22, 1948 – Denis Burke, Australian politician
- September 23, 1948 – Don Grolnick, American jazz and pop pianist and composer
- November 9, 1948 – Michel Pagliaro, Canadian singer
- November 24, 1948 – Spider Robinson, science fiction author
- December 31, 1948 – Donna Summer, American singer