Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- March 25, 1948 – The first successful tornado forecast predicts that a tornado will strike Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
- May 15, 1948 – Following the demise of the British Mandate of Palestine, Egypt, Transjordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia invade Israel thus starting the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
- June 24, 1948 – Start of the Berlin Blockade: the Soviet Union makes overland travel between West Germany and West Berlin impossible.
- June 26, 1948 – Shirley Jackson’s short story The Lottery is published in The New Yorker magazine.
- August 10, 1948 – Candid Camera makes its television debut after being on radio for a year as Candid Microphone.
- August 18, 1948 – The Australian cricket team completed a 4–0 Ashes series win over England during their undefeated Invincibles tour.
- September 17, 1948 – The Lehi (also known as the Stern gang) assassinates Count Folke Bernadotte, who was appointed by the UN to mediate between the Arab nations and Israel.
- October 28, 1948 – Swiss chemist Paul Müller is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discovery of the insecticidal properties of DDT.
- December 12, 1948 – Malayan Emergency: Batang Kali Massacre – 14 members of the Scots Guards stationed in Malaysia allegedly massacre 24 unarmed civilians and set fire to the village.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- February 20, 1948 – Jennifer O'Neill, Brazilian-born actress
- March 4, 1948 – Jean O'Leary, American activist and politician (d. 2005)
- March 20, 1948 – Bobby Orr, Canadian ice hockey player
- March 28, 1948 – Matthew Corbett, English retired actor
- April 12, 1948 – Sandra “Lois” Reeves, American singer
- April 29, 1948 – Bruce Cutler, American attorney
- September 10, 1948 – Margaret Trudeau, former wife of Pierre Trudeau
- October 8, 1948 – Sarah Purcell, American television host
- November 16, 1948 – Bonnie Greer, American playwright and critic