Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- March 18, 1948 – Soviet consultants leave Yugoslavia in the first sign of a Tito-Stalin split.
- May 3, 1948 – The U.S. Supreme Court rules, in Shelley v. Kraemer, that covenants prohibiting the sale of real estate to blacks and other minorities are legally unenforceable.
- May 7, 1948 – The Council of Europe is founded during the Hague Congress.
- May 9, 1948 – Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- June 28, 1948 – Boxer Dick Turpin beats Vince Hawkins at Villa Park in Birmingham to become the first black British boxing champion in the modern era.
- July 8, 1948 – The United States Air Force accepts its first female recruits into a program called Women in the Air Force (WAF).
- August 18, 1948 – The Australian cricket team completed a 4–0 Ashes series win over England during their undefeated Invincibles tour.
- September 9, 1948 – Kim Il-sung declares the establishment of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
- September 18, 1948 – Operation Polo is terminated after Indian Army accepts the surrender of Nizam’s Army.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- January 5, 1948 – Ted Lange, American actor
- May 2, 1948 – Larry Gatlin, American musician
- May 15, 1948 – Kathleen Sebelius, American politician and Obama Administration figure
- June 1, 1948 – Powers Boothe, American actor
- August 9, 1948 – Bill Campbell, American baseball player
- September 3, 1948 – Levy Mwanawasa, President of Zambia (d. 2008)
- October 21, 1948 – Shaye Cohen, Historian and Professor at Harvard University
- November 22, 1948 – Radomir Antić, Serbian football manager
- December 6, 1948 – Keke Rosberg, Finnish race car driver