Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- April 7, 1948 – A Buddhist monastery burns in Shanghai, China, leaving twenty monks dead.
- May 9, 1948 – Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- June 8, 1948 – Milton Berle hosts the debut of Texaco Star Theater.
- June 28, 1948 – Boxer Dick Turpin beats Vince Hawkins at Villa Park in Birmingham to become the first black British boxing champion in the modern era.
- August 15, 1948 – The Republic of Korea is established south of the 38th parallel north.
- September 9, 1948 – Kim Il-sung declares the establishment of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
- November 6, 1948 – Deputy commander-in-chief of the Eastern China Field Army General Su Yu launched a massive offensive toward Xuzhou, defended by seven different armies under the Suppression General Headquarter of Xuzhou Garrison, the Huaihai Campaign, the largest operational campaign of the Chinese Civil War begins.
- December 12, 1948 – Malayan Emergency: Batang Kali Massacre – 14 members of the Scots Guards stationed in Malaysia allegedly massacre 24 unarmed civilians and set fire to the village.
- December 28, 1948 – The DC-3 airliner NC16002 disappears 50 miles south of Miami, Florida.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- January 1, 1948 – Pavel Grachev, Russian general
- January 23, 1948 – Anita Pointer, American singer (Pointer Sisters)
- March 11, 1948 – Roy Barnes, 80th Governor of Georgia
- April 27, 1948 – Kate Pierson, American singer (The B-52's)
- August 22, 1948 – Eleonora Brown, Italian actress
- September 19, 1948 – Jeremy Irons, English actor
- October 17, 1948 – George Wendt, American actor
- October 24, 1948 – Kweisi Mfume, American politician and activist
- November 18, 1948 – Andrea Marcovicci, American singer and actress
- November 28, 1948 – Beeb Birtles, Dutch-Australian musician (Little River Band)