Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1957 Historical Event(s)
- January 3, 1957 – The Hamilton Watch Company introduces the first electric watch.
- January 31, 1957 – Eight people on the ground in Pacoima, California are killed following the mid-air collision between a Douglas DC-7 airliner and a Northrop F-89 Scorpion fighter jet.
- May 15, 1957 – At Malden Island in the Pacific, Britain tests its first hydrogen bomb in Operation Grapple. The device fails to detonate properly.
- June 22, 1957 – The Soviet Union launches an R-12 missile for the first time (in the Kapustin Yar).
- June 24, 1957 – In Roth v. United States, the U.S. Supreme Court rules that obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment.
- July 29, 1957 – The International Atomic Energy Agency is established.
- October 4, 1957 – Avro Arrow roll-out ceremony at Avro Canada plant in Malton, Ontario.
- October 29, 1957 – Israel’s prime minister David Ben Gurion and five of his ministers are injured when a hand grenade is tossed into Israel’s parliament, the Knesset.
Who Were Born On 1957?
- May 10, 1957 – Sid Vicious, English bassist (The Sex Pistols) (d. 1979)
- May 22, 1957 – Lisa Murkowski, American politician
- July 3, 1957 – Ken Ober, American game show host (d. 2009)
- July 13, 1957 – Cameron Crowe, American film director
- July 16, 1957 – Faye Grant, American actress
- July 17, 1957 – Fern Britton, British television presenter
- August 25, 1957 – Simon McBurney, British actor, writer and theatre director
- September 24, 1957 – Tod Howarth, American rock musician
- November 15, 1957 – Ray McKinnon, American film actor/director
- December 19, 1957 – Cyril Collard, French film director (d. 1993)