Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 19, 1960 – China successfully launches the T-7, its first sounding rocket.
- April 21, 1960 – Founding of the Orthodox Bahá'í Faith in Washington, D.C.
- May 15, 1960 – The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 4.
- July 20, 1960 – Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) elects Sirimavo Bandaranaike Prime Minister, the world’s first elected female head of government.
- September 8, 1960 – In Huntsville, Alabama, US President Dwight D. Eisenhower formally dedicates the Marshall Space Flight Center (NASA had already activated the facility on July 1).
- September 18, 1960 – Fidel Castro arrives in New York City as the head of the Cuban delegation to the United Nations.
- October 4, 1960 – Eastern Air Lines Flight 375, a Lockheed L-188 Electra, crashes after a bird strike on takeoff from Boston’s Logan International Airport, killing 62 of 72 on board.
- October 12, 1960 – Inejiro Asanuma, Chair of the Japanese Socialist Party, is assassinated in Japan by Otoya Yamaguchi, a 17-year-old. The cameras were rolling at the time, so the moment was caught on film.
- December 15, 1960 – King Mahendra of Nepal suspends the country’s constitution, dissolves parliament, dismisses the cabinet, and imposes direct rule.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- March 10, 1960 – Lance Burton, American stage illusionist
- March 12, 1960 – Minoru Niihara, Japanese singer
- May 23, 1960 – Linden Ashby, American actor
- May 24, 1960 – Guy Fletcher, British keyboardist (Dire Straits)
- June 17, 1960 – Adrián Campos, Spanish racing driver
- July 3, 1960 – Vince Clarke, British songwriter (Depeche Mode, Yazoo, and Erasure)
- August 8, 1960 – Ulrich Maly, German politician
- August 25, 1960 – Georg Zellhofer, Austrian footballer
- September 30, 1960 – Blanche Lincoln, American politician
- December 15, 1960 – Walter Werzowa, Austrian composer