Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 21, 1960 – Avianca Flight 671 crashes and burns upon landing at Montego Bay, Jamaica, killing 37. It is the worst air disaster in Jamaica’s history and the first for Avianca.
- January 23, 1960 – The bathyscaphe USS Trieste breaks a depth record by descending to 10,911 m (35,798 feet) in the Pacific Ocean.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 13, 1960 – Black college students stage the first of the Nashville sit-ins at three lunch counters in Nashville, Tennessee.
- May 3, 1960 – The Off-Broadway musical comedy, The Fantasticks, opens in New York City’s Greenwich Village, eventually becoming the longest-running musical of all time.
- August 19, 1960 – Cold War: in Moscow, downed American U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers is sentenced to ten years imprisonment by the Soviet Union for espionage.
- October 7, 1960 – Nigeria joins the United Nations.
- November 9, 1960 – Robert McNamara is named president of Ford Motor Co., the first non-Ford to serve in that post. A month later, he quit to join the newly-elected John F. Kennedy administration.
- December 3, 1960 – The musical Camelot debuted at the Majestic Theatre on Broadway, and would become associated with the Kennedy administration.
- December 20, 1960 – National Front for the Liberation of Vietnam is formed.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- January 1, 1960 – Michael Seibert, American ice dancer
- February 11, 1960 – Nick Currie, Scottish musician
- March 13, 1960 – Joe Ranft, American animator (d. 2005)
- May 14, 1960 – “Dr. Death” Steve Williams, American wrestler (d. 2009)
- May 23, 1960 – Linden Ashby, American actor
- August 4, 1960 – Bernard Rose, English director
- September 9, 1960 – Bob Stoops, American football coach
- October 4, 1960 – Joe Boever, American baseball player
- December 3, 1960 – Julianne Moore, American actress
- December 15, 1960 – Walter Werzowa, Austrian composer