Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 1, 1960 – Four black students stage the first of the Greensboro sit-ins at a lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina.
- April 15, 1960 – At Shaw University in Raleigh, North Carolina, Ella Baker leads a conference that results in the creation of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, one of the principal organizations of the African-American Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s.
- April 25, 1960 – The U.S. Navy submarine USS Triton completes the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.
- May 3, 1960 – The Off-Broadway musical comedy, The Fantasticks, opens in New York City’s Greenwich Village, eventually becoming the longest-running musical of all time.
- May 15, 1960 – The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 4.
- July 12, 1960 – Orlyonok, the main Young Pioneer camp of the Russian SFSR, is founded.
- August 5, 1960 – Burkina Faso, then known as Upper Volta, becomes independent from France.
- September 10, 1960 – At the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, Abebe Bikila becomes the first sub-Saharan African to win a gold medal, winning the marathon in bare feet.
- November 1, 1960 – While campaigning for President of the United States, John F. Kennedy announces his idea of the Peace Corps.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- February 29, 1960 – Bill Long, American baseball player
- March 4, 1960 – Kazimierz Matuszny, Polish politician
- March 24, 1960 – Nena, German pop singer
- August 2, 1960 – Linda Fratianne, American figure skater
- August 19, 1960 – Morten Andersen, American football player
- August 24, 1960 – Kim Christofte, Danish footballer
- September 8, 1960 – David Steele, English musician
- September 17, 1960 – Damon Hill, English race car driver and 1996 F1 world champion
- September 22, 1960 – Scott Baio, American actor
- September 25, 1960 – Igor Belanov, Ukrainian footballer