Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1960 – The National Association of Broadcasters reacts to the Payola scandal by threatening fines for any disc jockeys who accept money for playing particular records.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- April 19, 1960 – Students in South Korea hold a nationwide pro-democracy protest against president Syngman Rhee, eventually forcing him to resign.
- April 21, 1960 – Brasília, Brazil’s capital, is officially inaugurated. At 9:30 am the Three Powers of the Republic are simultaneously transferred from the old capital, Rio de Janeiro.
- June 20, 1960 – The Mali Federation gains independence from France (it later splits into Mali and Senegal).
- July 1, 1960 – Ghana becomes a Republic and Kwame Nkrumah becomes its first President as Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom ceases to be its Head of state.
- August 1, 1960 – Dahomey (later renamed Benin) declares independence from France.
- September 26, 1960 – In Chicago, the first televised debate takes place between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy.
- October 1, 1960 – Nigeria gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- November 8, 1960 – John F. Kennedy defeats Richard Nixon in one of the closest presidential elections of the twentieth century to become the 35th president of the United States.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- January 17, 1960 – Chatchai Plengpanich, Thai actor
- March 13, 1960 – Yuri Andrukhovych, Ukrainian writer, poet and political essayist
- March 16, 1960 – Duane Sutter, Canadian ice hockey player
- April 4, 1960 – Jane Eaglin, English soprano
- April 28, 1960 – Jón Páll Sigmarsson, Icelandic strength athlete (d. 1993)
- June 28, 1960 – John Elway, American football player
- September 2, 1960 – John S. Hall, American poet and spoken-word artist
- September 8, 1960 – Aguri Suzuki, Japanese racing driver
- September 30, 1960 – Julia Adamson, composer/musician
- October 30, 1960 – Diego Maradona, Argentine footballer