Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- January 30, 1960 – The African National Party is founded in Chad, through the merger of traditionalist parties.
- February 1, 1960 – Four black students stage the first of the Greensboro sit-ins at a lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina.
- March 22, 1960 – Arthur Leonard Schawlow and Charles Hard Townes receive the first patent for a laser
- May 13, 1960 – Hundreds of University of California, Berkeley students congregate for the first day of protest against a visit by the House Committee on Un-American Activities. Thirty-one students are arrested, and the Free Speech Movement is born.
- July 12, 1960 – Orlyonok, the main Young Pioneer camp of the Russian SFSR, is founded.
- August 13, 1960 – The Central African Republic declares independence from France.
- September 26, 1960 – In Chicago, the first televised debate takes place between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy.
- December 3, 1960 – The musical Camelot debuted at the Majestic Theatre on Broadway, and would become associated with the Kennedy administration.
- December 16, 1960 – 1960 New York air disaster: While approaching New York’s Idlewild Airport, a United Airlines Douglas DC-8 collides with a TWA Lockheed Super Constellation in a blinding snowstorm over Staten Island, killing 134.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- January 28, 1960 – Robert von Dassanowsky, American historian, writer, and producer
- February 18, 1960 – Carol McGiffin, British TV and radio presenter
- February 23, 1960 – Ivan Vdović, also known as VD, Yugoslavian musician (Šarlo Akrobata) (d. 1992)
- March 4, 1960 – John Mugabi, Ugandan boxer
- July 4, 1960 – Roland Ratzenberger, Austrian racing driver (d. 1994)
- September 16, 1960 – Graham Haynes, American cornetist, trumpeter and composer
- September 17, 1960 – Kevin Clash, American actor and puppeteer
- October 23, 1960 – Wayne Rainey, American motorcyclist
- November 17, 1960 – Jonathan Ross, British TV presenter
- November 30, 1960 – Bob Tewksbury, American baseball player