Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 23, 1960 – The bathyscaphe USS Trieste breaks a depth record by descending to 10,911 m (35,798 feet) in the Pacific Ocean.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 13, 1960 – With the success of a nuclear test codenamed “Gerboise Bleue”, France becomes the fourth country to possess nuclear weapons.
- February 29, 1960 – Family Circus makes its debut.
- April 15, 1960 – At Shaw University in Raleigh, North Carolina, Ella Baker leads a conference that results in the creation of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, one of the principal organizations of the African-American Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s.
- May 6, 1960 – More than 20 million viewers watch the first televised royal wedding when Princess Margaret marries Anthony Armstrong-Jones at Westminster Abbey.
- August 13, 1960 – The Central African Republic declares independence from France.
- September 5, 1960 – The boxer Muhammad Ali (then Cassius Clay) is awarded the gold medal for his first place in the light heavyweight boxing competition at the Olympic Games in Rome.
- September 14, 1960 – Congo Crisis: With CIA help, Mobutu Sese Seko seizes power in a military coup, suspending parliament and the constitution.
- December 17, 1960 – 1960 Munich Convair 340 crash: 20 passengers and crew on board as well as 32 people on the ground are killed.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- January 27, 1960 – Bernd Stieler, German footballer
- March 7, 1960 – Ivan Lendl, Czech tennis player
- March 18, 1960 – James MacPherson, Scottish actor
- April 22, 1960 – Randall L. Stephenson, American business executive
- August 13, 1960 – Phil Taylor, English darts player
- September 22, 1960 – Scott Baio, American actor
- October 22, 1960 – Darryl Jenifer, American bassist (Bad Brains)
- October 29, 1960 – Finola Hughes, British actress
- December 19, 1960 – Derrick Jensen, American author and activist
- December 28, 1960 – Melvin Turpin, American basketball player (d. 2010)