Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 21, 1960 – Little Joe 1B, a Mercury spacecraft, lifts off from Wallops Island, Virginia with Miss Sam, a female rhesus monkey on board.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- March 5, 1960 – Alister Hardy publicly announces his idea that ape-human divergence may have been due to a coastal phase, giving rise to the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis.
- May 11, 1960 – In Buenos Aires, Argentina, four Israeli Mossad agents capture fugitive Nazi Adolf Eichmann who is living under the alias of Ricardo Klement.
- May 16, 1960 – Theodore Maiman operates the first optical laser, at Hughes Research Laboratories in Malibu, California.
- May 24, 1960 – Following the 1960 Valdivia earthquake, the largest ever recorded earthquake, Cordón Caulle begins to erupt.
- July 20, 1960 – The Polaris missile is successfully launched from a submarine, the USS George Washington, for the first time.
- August 12, 1960 – Echo 1A, NASA’s first successful communications satellite, is launched.
- August 19, 1960 – Sputnik program: Sputnik 5 – the Soviet Union launches the satellite with the dogs Belka and Strelka, 40 mice, 2 rats and a variety of plants.
- December 3, 1960 – The musical Camelot debuted at the Majestic Theatre on Broadway, and would become associated with the Kennedy administration.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- February 18, 1960 – Tony Anselmo, American animator
- March 21, 1960 – Ayrton Senna, Brazilian race car driver (d. 1994)
- April 3, 1960 – Arjen Anthony Lucassen, Dutch musician
- April 15, 1960 – Tony Jones, English snooker player
- April 22, 1960 – Gary Rhodes, English chef
- August 24, 1960 – Cal Ripken, Jr., American baseball player
- August 29, 1960 – Todd English, American chef
- October 4, 1960 – Joe Boever, American baseball player
- November 17, 1960 – Michael Hertwig, German footballer
- December 28, 1960 – James Caan, British-Pakistani entrepreneur