Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 7, 1960 – The Polaris missile is test launched.
- January 21, 1960 – Avianca Flight 671 crashes and burns upon landing at Montego Bay, Jamaica, killing 37. It is the worst air disaster in Jamaica’s history and the first for Avianca.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- March 21, 1960 – Apartheid: Massacre in Sharpeville, South Africa: Police open fire on a group of unarmed black South African demonstrators, killing 69 and wounding 180.
- May 9, 1960 – The Food and Drug Administration announces it will approve birth control as an additional indication for Searle’s Enovid, making Enovid the world’s first approved oral contraceptive pill.
- August 19, 1960 – Sputnik program: Sputnik 5 – the Soviet Union launches the satellite with the dogs Belka and Strelka, 40 mice, 2 rats and a variety of plants.
- August 20, 1960 – Senegal breaks from the Mali Federation, declaring its independence.
- October 24, 1960 – Nedelin catastrophe: An R-16 ballistic missile explodes on the launch pad at the Soviet Union’s Baikonur Cosmodrome space facility, killing over 100. Among the dead is Field Marshal Mitrofan Nedelin, whose death is reported to have occurred in a plane crash
- October 30, 1960 – Michael Woodruff performs the first successful kidney transplant in the United Kingdom at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
- December 15, 1960 – King Mahendra of Nepal suspends the country’s constitution, dissolves parliament, dismisses the cabinet, and imposes direct rule.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- January 10, 1960 – Gurinder Chadha, British film director
- February 11, 1960 – Nick Currie, Scottish musician
- April 19, 1960 – Roger Merrett, Australian footballer
- June 8, 1960 – Thomas Steen, Swedish hockey player
- August 14, 1960 – Sharon Bryant, American R&B singer
- September 2, 1960 – Hideo Yoshizawa, Japanese video game designer and executive, General Manager at Namco Bandai Holdings
- October 2, 1960 – Django Bates, jazz musician, composer, multi-instrumentalist and band leader
- October 9, 1960 – Maddie Blaustein, American actress (d. 2008)
- December 14, 1960 – Don Franklin, American actor
- December 19, 1960 – Mike Lookinland, American actor