Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1961 Historical Event(s)
- January 31, 1961 – Project Mercury: Mercury-Redstone 2 – Ham the Chimp travels into outer space.
- February 13, 1961 – A 500,000-year-old rock is discovered near Olancha, California, US, that appears to anachronistically encase a spark plug.
- February 15, 1961 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Ox in Chinese astrology.
- March 1, 1961 – Uganda becomes self-governing and holds its first elections.
- March 29, 1961 – The Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, allowing residents of Washington, D.C., to vote in presidential elections.
- April 27, 1961 – Sierra Leone is granted its independence from the United Kingdom, with Milton Margai as the first Prime Minister.
- June 17, 1961 – The New Democratic Party of Canada is founded by the merger of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation and the Canadian Labour Congress.
- July 31, 1961 – At Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts, the first All-Star Game tie in major league baseball history occurs when the game is stopped in the 9th inning because of rain.
- October 27, 1961 – Mauritania and Mongolia join the United Nations.
- December 9, 1961 – Tanganyika becomes independent from Britain.
Who Were Born On 1961?
- January 17, 1961 – Brian Helgeland, American writer and film director
- February 1, 1961 – Daniel Tani, NASA astronaut
- July 1, 1961 – Diana, Princess of Wales, Prince Charles’s ex wife (d. 1997)
- August 22, 1961 – Debbi Peterson, American musician (The Bangles)
- September 22, 1961 – Catherine Oxenberg, British actress
- November 16, 1961 – Corinne Hermès, French singer
- November 24, 1961 – Carlos Carnero, Spanish member of parliament
- December 8, 1961 – Ann Coulter, American political commentator
- December 10, 1961 – Oded Schramm, Israeli-American mathematician
- December 16, 1961 – Andre Andersen, Russian/Danish multi-instrumentalist and composer