Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1963 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1963 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- March 27, 1963 – Beeching Axe: Dr. Richard Beeching issues a report calling for huge cuts to the United Kingdom’s rail network.
- May 8, 1963 – South Vietnamese soldiers of Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.
- May 14, 1963 – Kuwait joins the United Nations.
- June 11, 1963 – American Civil Rights Movement: Alabama Governor George Wallace stands at the door of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama in an attempt to block two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood, from attending that school. Later in the day, accompanied by federalized National Guard troops, they are able to register.
- June 16, 1963 – Soviet Space Program: Vostok 6 Mission – Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman in space.
- July 26, 1963 – An earthquake in Skopje, Yugoslavia (now in the Republic of Macedonia) leaves 1,100 dead.
- September 2, 1963 – CBS Evening News becomes U.S. network television’s first half-hour weeknight news broadcast, when the show is lengthened from 15 to 30 minutes.
- September 6, 1963 – The Centre for International Industrial Property Studies (CEIPI) is founded.
- November 2, 1963 – South Vietnamese President Ngô Ðình Diệm is assassinated following a military coup.
Who Were Born On 1963?
- January 10, 1963 – Mark Pryor, American politician
- April 8, 1963 – Terry Porter, American basketball player and coach
- April 9, 1963 – Marc Jacobs, American fashion designer
- May 12, 1963 – Jerry Trimble, American actor
- July 4, 1963 – Henri Leconte, French former tennis player
- August 3, 1963 – Isaiah Washington, American actor
- August 8, 1963 – Jon Turteltaub, American director
- August 15, 1963 – Jack Russell, England cricketer
- August 22, 1963 – Terry Catledge, American basketball player
- December 6, 1963 – Ulrich Thomsen, Danish actor