Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1963 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1963 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- May 8, 1963 – South Vietnamese soldiers of Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.
- May 15, 1963 – Project Mercury: The launch of the final Mercury mission, Mercury-Atlas 9 with astronaut L. Gordon Cooper on board. He becomes the first American to spend more than a day in space.
- May 30, 1963 – A protest against pro-Catholic discrimination during the Buddhist crisis is held outside South Vietnam’s National Assembly, the first open demonstration during the eight-year rule of Ngo Dinh Diem.
- June 3, 1963 – A Northwest Airlines DC-7 crashes in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of British Columbia, killing 101.
- August 15, 1963 – Execution of Henry John Burnett, the last man to be hanged in Scotland.
- September 6, 1963 – The Centre for International Industrial Property Studies (CEIPI) is founded.
- October 4, 1963 – Hurricane Flora, kills 6,000 in Cuba and Haiti.
- November 24, 1963 – Vietnam War: Newly sworn-in US President Lyndon B. Johnson confirms that the United States intends to continue supporting South Vietnam both militarily and economically.
- December 25, 1963 – Turkish Cypriot Bayrak Radio begins transmitting in Cyprus after Turkish Cypriots are forcibly excluded from Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation.
Who Were Born On 1963?
- January 22, 1963 – Jeff Treadway, American baseball player
- January 27, 1963 – Mark Moraghan, British actor and singer
- May 11, 1963 – Natasha Richardson, English/American actress (d. 2009)
- June 10, 1963 – Jeanne Tripplehorn, American actress
- July 24, 1963 – Julie Krone, American jockey
- August 25, 1963 – Christine McGlade, Canadian actress (You Can't Do That on Television)
- August 26, 1963 – David Byas, English cricketer
- November 16, 1963 – Steve Arguelles, British jazz drummer
- November 26, 1963 – Adam Gaynor, American musician (Matchbox Twenty)