Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1963 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1963 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- February 8, 1963 – The regime of Prime Minister of Iraq, Brigadier General Abdul-Karim Qassem is overthrown by the Ba'ath Party.
- April 30, 1963 – The Bristol Bus Boycott is held in Bristol to protest the Bristol Omnibus Company’s refusal to employ Black or Asian bus crews, drawing national attention to racial discrimination in the United Kingdom.
- June 11, 1963 – American Civil Rights Movement: Alabama Governor George Wallace stands at the door of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama in an attempt to block two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood, from attending that school. Later in the day, accompanied by federalized National Guard troops, they are able to register.
- June 20, 1963 – The so-called “red telephone” is established between the Soviet Union and the United States following the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- September 16, 1963 – Malaysia is formed from the Federation of Malaya, Singapore, British North Borneo (Sabah) and Sarawak. However, Singapore soon leaves this new country,
- October 4, 1963 – Hurricane Flora, kills 6,000 in Cuba and Haiti.
- November 9, 1963 – At Miike coal mine, Miike, Japan, an explosion kills 458, and hospitalises 839 with carbon monoxide poisoning.
- November 18, 1963 – The first push-button telephone goes into service.
- December 14, 1963 – Baldwin Hills Reservoir wall bursts, killing five people and damaging hundreds of homes in Los Angeles.
Who Were Born On 1963?
- January 7, 1963 – Clint Mansell, English musician and composer
- January 21, 1963 – Hakeem Olajuwon, Nigerian-born American basketball player
- February 5, 1963 – Steven Shainberg, American film director
- February 17, 1963 – Alison Hargreaves, British mountaineer (d. 1995)
- May 21, 1963 – Richard Appel, American writer
- May 30, 1963 – Helen Sharman, British chemist, the first Briton in space
- June 3, 1963 – Rudy Demotte, Belgian politician
- November 17, 1963 – Randy Black, Canadian drummer (Annihilator)
- December 1, 1963 – Arjuna Ranatunga, Sri Lankan cricketer
- December 15, 1963 – Norman J. Grossfeld, American television producer and screenwriter