Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1966 Historical Event(s)
- January 21, 1966 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Horse in Chinese astrology.
- February 14, 1966 – Australian currency is decimalised.
- February 23, 1966 – In Syria, Baath party member Salah Jadid leads an intra-party military coup that replaces the previous government of General Amin Hafiz, also a Baathist.
- April 26, 1966 – An earthquake of magnitude 7.5 destroys Tashkent.
- July 24, 1966 – Michael Pelkey makes the first BASE jump from El Capitan along with Brian Schubert. Both came out with broken bones. BASE jumping has now been banned from El Cap.
- August 1, 1966 – Purges of intellectuals and imperialists becomes official People’s Republic of China policy at the beginning of the Cultural Revolution.
- August 22, 1966 – Labor movements NFWA and AWOC merge to become the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee (UFWOC), predecessor of the United Farm Workers.
- September 6, 1966 – In Cape Town, South Africa, the architect of Apartheid, Prime Minister Hendrik Verwoerd, is stabbed to death during a parliamentary meeting.
- October 1, 1966 – West Coast Airlines Flight 956 crashes with eighteen fatalities and no survivors 5.5 miles south of Wemme, Oregon. This accident marks the first loss of a DC-9.
- October 17, 1966 – A fire at a building in New York, New York kills 12 firefighters, the New York City Fire Department’s deadliest day until the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Who Were Born On 1966?
- February 28, 1966 – Paulo Futre, Portuguese footballer
- May 24, 1966 – Ricky Craven, American NASCAR driver
- August 2, 1966 – Tim Wakefield, American baseball player
- August 3, 1966 – Eric Esch, American boxer
- August 18, 1966 – Kang Soo-yeon, South Korean actress
- October 9, 1966 – Christopher Östlund, Swedish publisher and entrepreneur
- October 14, 1966 – Mark Nyman, English Scrabble player
- November 8, 1966 – Gordon Ramsay, British chef and reality television personality
- November 19, 1966 – Shmuley Boteach, American rabbi
- December 19, 1966 – Alberto Tomba, Italian alpine skier