Hey! Are you ready to solve your biggest career problem? First, you need to find out what’s preventing you to move forward in your career. Unlock your potential for success with the Career Analysis report. Get a free sample – no obligation to buy! (Sponsored link)
1971 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1971 – Himachal Pradesh becomes the 18th Indian state.
- January 27, 1971 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Pig in Chinese astrology.
- March 18, 1971 – In Peru a landslide crashes into Lake Yanahuani, killing 200 at the mining camp of Chungar.
- April 5, 1971 – In Sri Lanka, Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna launches insurrection against the United Front government of Sirimavo Bandaranaike.
- July 30, 1971 – Apollo program: Apollo 15 Mission – David Scott and James Irwin on the Apollo Lunar Module module Falcon land on the Moon with the first Lunar Rover.
- August 5, 1971 – The first Pacific Islands Forum (then known as the “South Pacific Forum”) is held in Wellington, New Zealand, with the aim of enhancing cooperation between the independent countries of the Pacific Ocean.
- September 13, 1971 – People’s Republic of China: Chairman Mao Zedong’s second in command and successor Marshal Lin Biao flees the country via plane after the failure of alleged coup against Mao. The plane crashes in Mongolia, killing all aboard.
- November 10, 1971 – In Cambodia, Khmer Rouge forces attack the city of Phnom Penh and its airport, killing 44, wounding at least 30 and damaging nine aircraft.
- December 1, 1971 – Cambodian Civil War: Khmer Rouge rebels intensify assaults on Cambodian government positions, forcing their retreat from Kompong Thmar and nearby Ba Ray.
- December 6, 1971 – Pakistan severs diplomatic relations with India following New Delhi’s recognition of Bangladesh.
Who Were Born On 1971?
- January 9, 1971 – Scott Thornton, Canadian ice hockey player
- February 1, 1971 – Zlatko Zahovič, Slovenian footballer
- March 30, 1971 – Mari Holden, American cycle racer
- April 16, 1971 – Seigo Yamamoto, Japanese racing driver
- May 5, 1971 – Harold Miner, American basketball player
- May 19, 1971 – Psicosis, Mexican professional wrestler
- August 25, 1971 – Mike Lockwood, professional wrestler (d. 2003)
- November 14, 1971 – Marco Leonardi, Italian-Australian actor
- December 6, 1971 – Carole Thate, Dutch field hockey player
- December 23, 1971 – Masayoshi Yamazaki, Japanese singer-songwriter