Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1971 Historical Event(s)
- January 8, 1971 – Bowing to international pressure, President of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto releases Bengali leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman from prison, who had been arrested after declaring the independence of Bangladesh.
- January 27, 1971 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Pig in Chinese astrology.
- April 19, 1971 – Launch of Salyut 1, the first space station.
- May 27, 1971 – The Dahlerau train disaster, the worst railway accident in West Germany, kills 46 people and injures 25 near Wuppertal.
- May 30, 1971 – Mariner program: Mariner 9 is launched to map 70% of the surface, and to study temporal changes in the atmosphere and surface, of Mars.
- May 31, 1971 – In accordance with the Uniform Monday Holiday Act passed by the U.S. Congress in 1968, observation of Memorial Day occurs on the last Monday in May for the first time, rather than on the traditional Memorial Day of May 30.
- July 12, 1971 – The Australian Aboriginal flag is flown for the first time.
- September 3, 1971 – Qatar becomes an independent state
- November 6, 1971 – The United States Atomic Energy Commission tests the largest U.S. underground hydrogen bomb, code-named Cannikin, on Amchitka Island in the Aleutians.
- December 16, 1971 – “National Day” of the Kingdom of Bahrain is celebrated. Not to be confused with Bahrain Independence Day which took place on August 15, 1971.
Who Were Born On 1971?
- March 28, 1971 – Wesley Person, American basketball player
- April 4, 1971 – John Zandig, American professional wrestler
- June 4, 1971 – Joseph Kabila, Congolese politician
- June 27, 1971 – Tony McCarroll, British drummer
- July 21, 1971 – Charlotte Gainsbourg, French actress and singer
- October 4, 1971 – Friderika Bayer, Hungarian singer
- October 13, 1971 – Billy Bush, American TV host
- October 25, 1971 – Neil Fallon, Lead singer of Clutch (band)
- November 5, 1971 – Jonny Greenwood, guitarist (Radiohead)
- December 24, 1971 – Christopher Daniels, American professional wrestler