Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1979 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1979 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- February 15, 1979 – Don Dunstan resigns as Premier of South Australia, ending a decade of sweeping social liberalisation.
- March 8, 1979 – Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time.
- March 14, 1979 – In China, a Hawker Siddeley Trident crashes into a factory near Beijing, killing at least 200.
- March 30, 1979 – Airey Neave, a British Member of Parliament, is killed by a car bomb as he exits the Palace of Westminster. The Irish National Liberation Army claims responsibility.
- April 15, 1979 – A disastrous earthquake (of M 7.1) occurs on Montenegro coast.
- August 27, 1979 – A Provisional Irish Republican Army bomb kills British World War II admiral Louis Mountbatten and three others while they are boating on holiday in Sligo, Republic of Ireland. Shortly after, 18 British Army soldiers are killed in an ambush near Warrenpoint, Northern Ireland (see Warrenpoint ambush).
- October 17, 1979 – The Department of Education Organization Act is signed into law creating the US Department of Education and US Department of Health and Human Services.
- December 12, 1979 – Coup d'état of December Twelfth: South Korean Army Major General Chun Doo-hwan orders the arrest of Army Chief of Staff General Jeong Seung-hwa without authorization from President Choi Kyu-ha, alleging involvement in the assassination of ex-President Park Chung Hee.
Who Were Born On 1979?
- January 18, 1979 – Jay Chou, Taiwanese singer, producer, actor and director
- March 20, 1979 – Keven Mealamu, New Zealand rugby player
- March 28, 1979 – Park Chae-rim, South Korean actress
- April 10, 1979 – Kenyon Coleman, American football player
- May 4, 1979 – Marie Poissonnier, French pole vaulter
- September 24, 1979 – Katja Kassin, German pornographic actress
- September 25, 1979 – Jason Koumas, Welsh footballer
- October 6, 1979 – Lex Shrapnel, English actor
- October 24, 1979 – Ben Gillies, Australian musician (Silverchair)
- December 5, 1979 – Gareth McAuley, Northern Irish footballer