Hey! Are you ready to solve your biggest career problem? First, you need to find out what’s preventing you to move forward in your career. Unlock your potential for success with the Career Analysis report. Get a free sample – no obligation to buy! (Sponsored link)
1979 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1979 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- March 28, 1979 – The British House of Commons passes a vote of no confidence against James Callaghan’s government, precipitating a general election.
- May 4, 1979 – Margaret Thatcher becomes the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- September 14, 1979 – Afghan President Nur Muhammad Taraki is assassinated upon the order of Hafizullah Amin, who becomes the new president.
- September 30, 1979 – The Hong Kong MTR commences service with the opening of its Modified Initial System (aka. Kwun Tong Line).
- October 15, 1979 – Black Monday in Malta. The Building of the Times of Malta, the residence of the opposition leader Eddie Fenech Adami and several Nationalist Party clubs are ransacked and destroyed by supporters of the Malta Labour Party.
- November 4, 1979 – Iran hostage crisis begins: a group of Iranians, mostly students, invades the US embassy in Tehran and takes 90 hostages (53 of whom are American).
- December 9, 1979 – The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making smallpox the first and to date only human disease driven to extinction.
- December 12, 1979 – The unrecognised state of Zimbabwe Rhodesia returns to British control and resumes using the name Southern Rhodesia.
- December 21, 1979 – Lancaster House Agreement: An independence agreement for Rhodesia is signed in London by Lord Carrington, Sir Ian Gilmour, Robert Mugabe, Joshua Nkomo, Bishop Abel Muzorewa and S.C. Mundawarara.
Who Were Born On 1979?
- January 29, 1979 – April Scott, American actress and model
- March 11, 1979 – Joel Madden, American singer (Good Charlotte)
- March 12, 1979 – Nidia Guenard, American wrestler
- March 20, 1979 – Molly Jenson, American musician
- May 19, 1979 – Diego Forlán, Uruguayan footballer
- July 5, 1979 – Tim Coly, German rugby player
- August 10, 1979 – Joanna García, American actress
- September 10, 1979 – Andreas Aniko, Estonian footballer
- September 13, 1979 – Ivan Miljković, Serbian volleyball player
- December 18, 1979 – Eric Escobar, Puerto Rican professional wrestler