April 1: Day of the Week
April 1, 2018 was the 91st day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 274 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Aries horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
April 1: This Day in History
April 1 is most notable in many countries for being April Fools’ Day.
April 1 Historical Event(s)
- 527Byzantine Emperor Justin I names his nephew Justinian I as co-ruler and successor to the throne.
- 1572In the Eighty Years’ War, the Watergeuzen capture Brielle from the Spaniards, gaining the first foothold on land for what would become the Dutch Republic.
- 1826Samuel Morey patents the internal combustion engine.
- 1948Faroe Islands receive autonomy from Denmark.
- 1949The 26 counties of the Irish Free State become the Republic of Ireland.
- 1957The BBC broadcasts the spaghetti tree hoax on its current affairs programme Panorama.
- 1976The Jovian–Plutonian gravitational effect hoax is first reported by British astronomer Patrick Moore.
- 1978The Philippine College of Commerce, through a presidential decree, becomes the Polytechnic University of the Philippines.
- 1979Iran becomes an Islamic Republic by a 98% vote, officially overthrowing the Shah.
- 2001An EP-3E United States Navy surveillance aircraft collides with a Chinese People’s Liberation Army Shenyang J-8 fighter jet. The Navy crew makes an emergency landing in Hainan, People’s Republic of China and is detained.
Who were born on April 1?
- 1875Edgar Wallace, English writer (d. 1932)
- 1884Laurette Taylor, American stage actress (d. 1946)
- 1902Maria Polydouri, Greek poet (d. 1930)
- 1939Ali MacGraw, American actress
- 1943Carol White, British actress (d. 1991)
- 1964Erik Breukink, Dutch cyclist and manager
- 1971Method Man, American rapper
- 1973Stephen Fleming, New Zealand cricketer
- 1983Sean Taylor, American football player (d. 2007)
- 1988Brook Lopez, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.