April 1: Day of the Week
April 1, 2019 was the 91st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 274 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
April 1: This Day in History
April 1 is most notable in many countries for being April Fools’ Day.
April 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1340Niels Ebbesen kills Gerhard III of Holstein in his bedroom, ending the 1332-1340 interregnum in Denmark.
- 1572In the Eighty Years’ War, the Watergeuzen capture Brielle from the Spaniards, gaining the first foothold on land for what would become the Dutch Republic.
- 1789In New York City, the United States House of Representatives holds its first quorum and elects Frederick Muhlenberg of Pennsylvania as its first House Speaker.
- 1887Mumbai Fire Brigade is established.
- 1945World War II: Operation Iceberg – United States troops land on Okinawa in the last campaign of the war.
- 1948Cold War: Berlin Airlift– Military forces, under direction of the Russian-controlled government in East Germany, set-up a land blockade of West Berlin.
- 1960The TIROS-1 satellite transmits the first television picture from space.
- 1970President Richard Nixon signs the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act into law, requiring the Surgeon General’s warnings on tobacco products and banning cigarette advertisements on television and radio in the United States, starting on January 1, 1971.
- 1973Project Tiger, a tiger conservation project, is launched in the Corbett National Park, India.
- 2009Croatia and Albania join NATO.
Who were born on April 1?
- 1873Sergei Rachmaninoff, Russian composer, pianist, and conductor (d. 1943)
- 1906Aleksandr Yakovlev, Russian engineer and aeroplane designer (d. 1989)
- 1936Jean-Pascal Delamuraz, Swiss politician (d. 1998)
- 1947Alain Connes, French mathematician
- 1947Robin Scott, English singer
- 1952Annette O'Toole, American actress
- 1971Jessica Collins, American actress
- 1978Etan Thomas, American basketball player
- 1978Miroslava Vavrinec, Swiss tennis player
- 1983Lance Hohaia, New Zealand rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.