April 16: Day of the Week
April 16, 2021 was the 106th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 259 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OSWUAEAGN? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OSWUAEAGN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1457 BCLikely date of the Battle of Megiddo between Thutmose III and a large Canaanite coalition under the King of Kadesh, the first battle to have been recorded in what is accepted as relatively reliable detail.
- 1346Dušan the Mighty is proclaimed Emperor, with the Serbian Empire occupying much of the Balkans.
- 1521Martin Luther’s first appearance before the Diet of Worms to be examined by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the other estates of the empire.
- 1582Spanish conquistador Hernando de Lerma founds the settlement of Salta, Argentina.
- 1847The accidental shooting of a Māori by an English sailor results in the opening of the Wanganui Campaign of the New Zealand land wars.
- 1853The first passenger rail opens in India, from Bori Bunder, Bombay to Thane.
- 1925During the Communist St Nedelya Church assault in Sofia, 150 are killed and 500 are wounded.
- 1945The United States Army liberates Nazi Sonderlager (high security) prisoner-of-war camp Oflag IV-C (better known as Colditz).
- 1947Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- 2003The Treaty of Accession is signed in Athens admitting 10 new member states to the European Union.
Who were born on April 16?
- 1682John Hadley, British inventor (d. 1744)
- 1827Octave Crémazie, Canadian poet (d. 1879)
- 1889Charlie Chaplin, English actor and filmmaker (d. 1977)
- 1912Catherine Scorsese, Italian-American actress (d. 1997)
- 1924Rudy Pompilli, American musician (Bill Haley & His Comets) (d. 1976)
- 1935Bobby Vinton, American singer
- 1942Sir Frank Williams, English Formula One constructor and team principal
- 1952Bill Belichick, American football coach
- 1968Vickie Guerrero, American professional wrestling personality
- 1986Peter Regin, Danish ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.