April 16: Day of the Week
April 16, 2020 was the 107th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 259 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters VOYOAW? Check your answers here: Unscramble words VOYOAW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1178 BCThe calculated date of the Greek king Odysseus’ return home from the Trojan War.
- 1521Martin Luther’s first appearance before the Diet of Worms to be examined by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the other estates of the empire.
- 1582Spanish conquistador Hernando de Lerma founds the settlement of Salta, Argentina.
- 1780The University of Münster in Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany is founded.
- 1818The United States Senate ratifies the Rush-Bagot Treaty, establishing the border with Canada.
- 1862American Civil War: The Battle at Lee’s Mills in Virginia.
- 1947Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- 1972Apollo program: The launch of Apollo 16 from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1992The Katina P. runs aground off of Maputo, Mozambique and 60,000 tons of crude oil spill into the ocean.
- 2007Virginia Tech massacre: The deadliest spree killing in modern American history. Seung-Hui Cho, kills 32 and injures 23 before committing suicide.
Who were born on April 16?
- 1693Anne Sophie Reventlow, queen of Denmark and Norway (d. 1743)
- 1912Garth Williams, American illustrator (d. 1996)
- 1929Roy Hamilton, American singer (d. 1969)
- 1935Sarah Kirsch, German poet
- 1947Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, American basketball player
- 1951Mordechai Ben David, American Yiddish singer
- 1969Fernando Viña, American baseball player
- 1972Ed Byrne, Irish comedian
- 1983George Patis, Greek badminton player
- 1992Prince Sébastien of Luxembourg
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.