April 16: Day of the Week
April 16, 2019 was the 106th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 259 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
April 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1799Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Mount Tabor – Napoleon drives Ottoman Turks across the River Jordan near Acre.
- 1863American Civil War: The Siege of Vicksburg – ships led by Union Admiral David Dixon Porter move through heavy Confederate artillery fire on approach to Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- 1917Lenin returns to Petrograd from exile in Switzerland.
- 1919Gandhi organizes a day of “prayer and fasting” in response to the killing of Indian protesters in the Amritsar Massacre by the British.
- 1944Allied forces started bombing of Belgrade, killing about 1,100 people. This bombing fell on the Orthodox Christian Easter.
- 1945More than 7,000 die when the German refugee ship Goya is sunk by a Soviet submarine torpedo.
- 1947Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- 1953Queen Elizabeth II launches the Royal Yacht Ship HMY.
- 2001India and Bangladesh begin a five-day border conflict, but are unable to resolve the disputes about their border.
- 2003The Treaty of Accession is signed in Athens admitting 10 new member states to the European Union.
Who were born on April 16?
- 1800George Bingham, 3rd Earl of Lucan, British soldier (d. 1888)
- 1924Sir John Harvey-Jones, British industrialist (d. 2008)
- 1929Ed Townsend, American singer and songwriter (d. 2003)
- 1954John Bowe, Australian racing driver
- 1959Robert Casilla, American artist and illustrator
- 1969Patrik Järbyn, Swedish alpine ski racer
- 1970Walt Williams, American basketball player
- 1976Shu Qi, Taiwanese actress
- 1979Christijan Albers, Dutch Formula One driver
- 1983Marié Digby, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.