April 16: Day of the Week
April 16, 2021 was the 106th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 259 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ELDYZMNJUI? Check your answers here: Word finder ELDYZMNJUI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1457 BCLikely date of the Battle of Megiddo between Thutmose III and a large Canaanite coalition under the King of Kadesh, the first battle to have been recorded in what is accepted as relatively reliable detail.
- 1178 BCThe calculated date of the Greek king Odysseus’ return home from the Trojan War.
- 1521Martin Luther’s first appearance before the Diet of Worms to be examined by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the other estates of the empire.
- 1818The United States Senate ratifies the Rush-Bagot Treaty, establishing the border with Canada.
- 1863American Civil War: The Siege of Vicksburg – ships led by Union Admiral David Dixon Porter move through heavy Confederate artillery fire on approach to Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- 1908Natural Bridges National Monument is established in Utah.
- 1945More than 7,000 die when the German refugee ship Goya is sunk by a Soviet submarine torpedo.
- 1947Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- 1962Walter Cronkite takes over as the lead news anchor of the CBS Evening News, during which time he would become “the most trusted man in America”.
- 1990The “Doctor of Death”, Jack Kevorkian, participates in his first assisted suicide.
Who were born on April 16?
- 1848Kandukuri Veeresalingam, Indian social reformer (d. 1919)
- 1922Kingsley Amis, English author (d. 1995)
- 1922Pat Peppler, American pro football coach and executive
- 1943Dave Peverett, English musician (Foghat, Savoy Brown) (d. 2000)
- 1951Ioan Mihai Cochinescu, Romanian writer and photographer
- 1956Lise-Marie Morerod, Swiss skier
- 1960Rafael Benítez, Spanish football manager
- 1972Conchita Martínez, Spanish tennis player
- 1975Sean Maher, American actor
- 1981Anestis Agritis, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.