April 18: Day of the Week
April 18, 2023 was the 108th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 257 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GKOOSO? Check your answers here: Word solver GKOOSO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1689Bostonians rise up in rebellion against Sir Edmund Andros.
- 1831The University of Alabama is founded.
- 1897The Greco-Turkish War is declared between Greece and the Ottoman Empire.
- 1899The St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association is granted a Royal Charter by Queen Victoria.
- 1909Joan of Arc is beatified in Rome.
- 1930BBC Radio announces that there is no news on that day.
- 1961The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, a cornerstone of modern international relations, is adopted.
- 1983A suicide bomber destroys the United States embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, killing 63 people.
- 2007A series of bombings, two of them being suicides, occur in Baghdad, killing 198 and injuring 251.
- 2007The Supreme Court of the United States upholds the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act in a 5-4 decision.
Who were born on April 18?
- 1580Thomas Middleton, English dramatist (d. 1627)
- 1740Sir Francis Baring, 1st Baronet, English merchant banker (d. 1810)
- 1934George Shirley, American tenor
- 1953Rick Moranis, Canadian comedian
- 1958Malcolm Marshall, Barbadian West Indies cricketer (d. 1999)
- 1961Steve Lombardi, American wrestler
- 1969Stefan Schwarz, Swedish footballer
- 1971Oleg Petrov, Russian ice hockey player
- 1971Tamara Braun, American actress
- 1979Anthony Davidson, British Formula One driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.