April 20: Day of the Week
April 20, 2023 was the 110th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 255 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QOULRONLI? Check your answers here: Word search QOULRONLI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1526The last ruler of the Lodi Dynasty, Ibrahim Lodi is defeated and killed by Babur in the First Battle of Panipat.
- 1534Jacques Cartier begins the voyage during which he discovers Canada and Labrador.
- 1809Two Austrian army corps in Bavaria are defeated by a First French Empire army led by Napoleon I of France at the Battle of Abensberg on the second day of a four day campaign that ended in a French victory.
- 1828René Caillié becomes the first non-Muslim to enter Timbouctou.
- 1862Louis Pasteur and Claude Bernard complete the first pasteurization tests.
- 1884Pope Leo XIII publishes the encyclical Humanum Genus.
- 191419 men, women, and children die in the Ludlow Massacre during a Colorado coal-miner’s strike.
- 1939Adolf Hitler’s 50th birthday is celebrated as a national holiday in Nazi Germany.
- 1984The Good Friday Massacre, an extremely violent ice hockey playoff game, is played in Montreal, Canada.
- 2008Danica Patrick wins the Indy Japan 300 becoming the first female driver in history to win an Indy car race.
Who were born on April 20?
- 1895Emile Christian, American musician (d. 1973)
- 1920Ratko Zvrko, Croatian author, journalist and boxer (d. 1998)
- 1920Ronald Speirs, WWII Veteran (d. 2007)
- 1943John Eliot Gardiner, English conductor
- 1948Craig Frost, American musician (Grand Funk & Bob Seger)
- 1961Konstantin Lavronenko, Russian actor
- 1966David Chalmers, Australian philosopher
- 1979Ludovic Magnin, Swiss football player
- 1980Arin Paul, Indian film director
- 1983Fabio Staibano, Italian rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.