April 5: Day of the Week
April 5, 2021 was the 95th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 270 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QDIVAGAX? Check your answers here: Word finder QDIVAGAX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1566Two-hundred Dutch noblemen, led by Hendrik van Brederode, force themselves into the presence of Margaret of Parma and present the Petition of Compromise, denouncing the Spanish Inquisition in the Netherlands. The Inquisition is suspended and a delegation is sent to Spain to petition Philip II.
- 1932Dominion of Newfoundland: 10,000 rioters seize the Colonial Building leading to the end of self-government.
- 1936Tupelo-Gainesville tornado outbreak: An F5 tornado kills 233 in Tupelo, Mississippi.
- 1942World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy launches a carrier-based air attack on Colombo, Ceylon during the Indian Ocean Raid. Port and civilian facilities are damaged and the Royal Navy cruisers HMS Cornwall and HMS Dorsetshire are sunk southwest of the island.
- 1956Fidel Castro declares himself at war with the President of Cuba.
- 1958Ripple Rock, an underwater threat to navigation in the Seymour Narrows in Canada is destroyed in one of the largest non-nuclear controlled explosions of the time.
- 1969Vietnam War: Massive antiwar demonstrations occur in many U.S. cities.
- 1992Alberto Fujimori, president of Peru, dissolves the Peruvian congress by military force.
- 1998In Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge linking Shikoku with Honshū and costing about $3.8 billion USD, opens to traffic, becoming the largest suspension bridge in the world.
- 1999Two Libyans suspected of bringing down Pan Am flight 103 in 1988 are handed over for eventual trial in the Netherlands.
Who were born on April 5?
- 1908Herbert von Karajan, Austrian conductor (d. 1989)
- 1917Robert Bloch, American author (d. 1994)
- 1929Ivar Giaever, Norwegian physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1937Allan R. Thieme, American inventor
- 1941Michael Moriarty, American actor
- 1966Mike McCready, American musician (Pearl Jam)
- 1972Pat Green, American singer and songwriter
- 1982Alexandre Prémat, French racing driver
- 1982Thomas Hitzlsperger, German footballer
- 1990Sophia Papamichalopoulou, Cypriot skier
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.