August 1: Day of the Week
August 1, 2020 was the 214th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 152 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters HIRAKTFBUV? Check your answers here: Unscramble words HIRAKTFBUV. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 1 Historical Event(s)
- 30 BCOctavian (later known as Augustus) enters Alexandria, Egypt, bringing it under the control of the Roman Republic.
- 527Justinian I becomes the sole ruler of the Byzantine Empire.
- 902Taormina, the last Byzantine stronghold in Sicily, is captured by the Aghlabid army.
- 1800The Act of Union 1800 is passed in which merges the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland into the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1801First Barbary War: The American schooner USS Enterprise captures the Tripolitan polacca Tripoli in a single-ship action off the coast of modern-day Libya.
- 1842The Lombard Street Riot erupts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US.
- 1894The First Sino-Japanese War erupts between Japan and China over Korea.
- 1957The United States and Canada form the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD).
- 1960Dahomey (later renamed Benin) declares independence from France.
- 1980Vigdís Finnbogadóttir is elected President of Iceland and becomes the country’s first democratically elected female head of state
Who were born on August 1?
- 1579Luís Vélez de Guevara, Spanish writer (d. 1644)
- 1940Ram Loevy, Israeli screenwriter and director
- 1949Kurmanbek Bakiyev, President of Kyrgyzstan
- 1953Howard Kurtz, American journalist
- 1953Robert Cray, American singer
- 1960Chuck D, American activist and rapper (Public Enemy)
- 1962Jacob Matlala, South African boxer
- 1981Stephen Hunt, Irish footballer
- 1986Lucas Simón, Argentine footballer
- 1991Marco Puntoriere, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.