August 1: Day of the Week
August 1, 2019 was the 213rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 152 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Grayson’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1203Isaac II Angelus, restored Eastern Roman Emperor, declares his son Alexius IV Angelus co-emperor after pressure from the forces of the Fourth Crusade.
- 1291The Old Swiss Confederacy is formed with the signature of the Federal Charter.
- 1664The Ottoman Empire is defeated in the Battle of Saint Gotthard by an Austrian army led by Raimondo Montecuccoli, resulting in the Peace of Vasvár.
- 1798French Revolutionary Wars: Battle of the Nile (Battle of Aboukir Bay) – Battle begins when a British fleet engages the French Revolutionary Navy fleet in an unusual night action.
- 1801First Barbary War: The American schooner USS Enterprise captures the Tripolitan polacca Tripoli in a single-ship action off the coast of modern-day Libya.
- 1831A new London Bridge opens.
- 1907The start of first Scout camp on Brownsea Island, the origin of the worldwide Scouting movement.
- 1981MTV begins broadcasting in the United States and airs its first video, “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles.
- 1993The Great Flood of 1993 comes to a peak.
- 2001Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore has a Ten Commandments monument installed in the judiciary building, leading to a lawsuit to have it removed and his own removal from office.
Who were born on August 1?
- 1843Robert Todd Lincoln, son of Abraham Lincoln; 35th United States Secretary of War (d. 1926)
- 1858Gaston Doumergue, French President (d. 1937)
- 1924Marcia Mae Jones, American actress (d. 2007)
- 1929Ann Calvello, Roller Derby queen (d. 2006)
- 1937Al D'Amato, United States Senator from New York
- 1945Sandi Griffiths, American singer, The Lawrence Welk Show
- 1950Bunkhouse Buck, American professional wrestler
- 1960Chuck D, American activist and rapper (Public Enemy)
- 1960Suzi Gardner, guitarist and songwriter (L7)
- 1984Francesco Gavazzi, Italian cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.