August 1: Day of the Week
August 1, 2023 was the 213th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 152 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MJNAAKRAU? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters MJNAAKRAU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 1 Historical Event(s)
- 527Justinian I becomes the sole ruler of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1203Isaac II Angelus, restored Eastern Roman Emperor, declares his son Alexius IV Angelus co-emperor after pressure from the forces of the Fourth Crusade.
- 1831A new London Bridge opens.
- 1840Labourer slaves in most of the British Empire are emancipated.
- 1876Colorado is admitted as the 38th U.S. state.
- 1914Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I. The Swiss Army mobilises because of World War I.
- 1927The Nanchang Uprising marks the first significant battle in the Chinese Civil War between the Kuomintang and Communist Party of China. This day is commemorated as the anniversary of the founding of the People’s Liberation Army.
- 1937Josip Broz Tito reads the resolution “Manifesto of constitutional congress of KPH” to the constitutive congress of KPH (Croatian Communist Party) in woods near Samobor.
- 1981MTV begins broadcasting in the United States and airs its first video, “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles.
- 1984Commercial peat-cutters discover the preserved bog body of a man, called Lindow Man, at Lindow Moss, Cheshire, North West England.
Who were born on August 1?
- 1545Andrew Melville, Scottish theologian and religious reformer (d. 1622)
- 1856George Coulthard, Former Australian rules footballer and cricketer (d. 1883)
- 1900Otto Nothling, Former Australian cricketer and rugby union footballer (d. 1965)
- 1911Jackie Ormes, American cartoonist (d. 1985)
- 1936Yves Saint Laurent, French fashion designer (d. 2008)
- 1952Zoran Đinđić, Prime Minister of Serbia (d. 2003)
- 1955Arun Lal, Former Indian cricketer
- 1964Adam Duritz, American musician (Counting Crows)
- 1969Graham Thorpe, Former England cricketer
- 1989Madison Bumgarner, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.