August 1: Day of the Week
August 1, 2018 was the 213rd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 152 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 1 Historical Event(s)
- 527Justinian I becomes the sole ruler of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1291The Old Swiss Confederacy is formed with the signature of the Federal Charter.
- 1801First Barbary War: The American schooner USS Enterprise captures the Tripolitan polacca Tripoli in a single-ship action off the coast of modern-day Libya.
- 1834Slavery is abolished in the British Empire as the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes into force.
- 1960Dahomey (later renamed Benin) declares independence from France.
- 1964The Belgian Congo is renamed the Republic of the Congo.
- 1966Purges of intellectuals and imperialists becomes official People’s Republic of China policy at the beginning of the Cultural Revolution.
- 1980Buttevant Rail Disaster kills 18 and injures dozens of train passengers in Ireland.
- 1984Commercial peat-cutters discover the preserved bog body of a man, called Lindow Man, at Lindow Moss, Cheshire, North West England.
- 2007The I-35W Mississippi River Bridge spanning the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapses during the evening rush hour.
Who were born on August 1?
- 1910James Henry Govier, British artist (d. 1974)
- 1937Al D'Amato, United States Senator from New York
- 1953Howard Kurtz, American journalist
- 1955Trevor Berbick, Jamaican boxer (d. 2006)
- 1958Rob Buck, American musician (10,000 Maniacs) (d. 2000)
- 1978Andy Blignaut, Former Zimbabwean cricketer
- 1979Jason Momoa, American actor
- 1979Junior Agogo, Ghanaian footballer
- 1987Rumi Hiiragi, Japanese actress
- 1989Madison Bumgarner, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.