August 1: Day of the Week
August 1, 2022 was the 213th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 152 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Marco’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 1 Historical Event(s)
- 69Batavian rebellion: The Batavians in Germania Inferior (Netherlands) revolt under the leadership of Gaius Julius Civilis.
- 607Ono no Imoko is dispatched as envoy to the Sui court in China (Traditional Japanese date: July 3, 607).
- 1203Isaac II Angelus, restored Eastern Roman Emperor, declares his son Alexius IV Angelus co-emperor after pressure from the forces of the Fourth Crusade.
- 1798French Revolutionary Wars: Battle of the Nile (Battle of Aboukir Bay) – Battle begins when a British fleet engages the French Revolutionary Navy fleet in an unusual night action.
- 1831A new London Bridge opens.
- 1834Slavery is abolished in the British Empire as the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes into force.
- 1840Labourer slaves in most of the British Empire are emancipated.
- 1894The First Sino-Japanese War erupts between Japan and China over Korea.
- 1966Charles Whitman kills 16 people at The University of Texas at Austin before being killed by the police.
- 1974Cyprus dispute: The United Nations Security Council authorizes the UNFICYP to create the “Green Line”, dividing Cyprus into two zones.
Who were born on August 1?
- 10 BCClaudius, Roman Emperor (d. 54)
- 1630Thomas Clifford, 1st Baron Clifford of Chudleigh, English statesman (d. 1673)
- 1924Frank Worrell, Former West Indian cricketer (d. 1967)
- 1930Lionel Bart, English song-writer (d. 1999)
- 1932Meir Kahane, American founder of the Jewish Defense League (d. 1990)
- 1950Bunkhouse Buck, American professional wrestler
- 1968Stacey Augmon, American basketball player
- 1969David Wain, American actor
- 1969Graham Thorpe, Former England cricketer
- 1986Andrew Taylor, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.