August 1: Day of the Week
August 1, 2019 was the 213rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 152 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jim’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 1 Historical Event(s)
- 69Batavian rebellion: The Batavians in Germania Inferior (Netherlands) revolt under the leadership of Gaius Julius Civilis.
- 1203Isaac II Angelus, restored Eastern Roman Emperor, declares his son Alexius IV Angelus co-emperor after pressure from the forces of the Fourth Crusade.
- 1291The Old Swiss Confederacy is formed with the signature of the Federal Charter.
- 1840Labourer slaves in most of the British Empire are emancipated.
- 1927The Nanchang Uprising marks the first significant battle in the Chinese Civil War between the Kuomintang and Communist Party of China. This day is commemorated as the anniversary of the founding of the People’s Liberation Army.
- 1968The coronation is held of Hassanal Bolkiah, the 29th Sultan of Brunei.
- 1984Commercial peat-cutters discover the preserved bog body of a man, called Lindow Man, at Lindow Moss, Cheshire, North West England.
- 1993The Great Flood of 1993 comes to a peak.
- 2001Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore has a Ten Commandments monument installed in the judiciary building, leading to a lawsuit to have it removed and his own removal from office.
- 2007The I-35W Mississippi River Bridge spanning the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapses during the evening rush hour.
Who were born on August 1?
- 1837Mary Harris “Mother” Jones, American labor organizer (d. 1930)
- 1910Mohammad Nissar, Indian cricketer (d. 1963)
- 1914J. Lee Thompson, British film director (d. 2002)
- 1921Jack Kramer, American tennis player (d. 2009)
- 1942Giancarlo Giannini, Italian actor
- 1945Douglas D. Osheroff, American physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1945Sandi Griffiths, American singer, The Lawrence Welk Show
- 1949Kurmanbek Bakiyev, President of Kyrgyzstan
- 1950Jim Carroll, American poet and actor (d. 2009)
- 1963Koichi Wakata, Japanese astronaut
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.