August 12: Day of the Week
August 12, 2019 is the 224th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 141 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 12: This Day in History
It is the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. It is also known as the “Glorious Twelfth” in the UK, as it marks the traditional start of the grouse shooting season.
August 12 Historical Event(s)
- 30 BCCleopatra VII Philopator, the last ruler of the Egyptian Ptolemaic dynasty, commits suicide, allegedly by means of an asp bite.
- 1164Battle of Harim: Nur ad-Din Zangi defeats the Crusader armies of the County of Tripoli and the Principality of Antioch.
- 1793The Rhône and Loire (Lêre) départments are created when the former département of Rhône-et-Loire is split into two.
- 1883The last quagga dies at the Artis Magistra zoo in Amsterdam.
- 1898The Hawaiian flag is lowered from Iolani Palace in an elaborate annexation ceremony and replaced with the flag of the United States to signify the transfer of sovereignty from the Republic of Hawai`i to the United States.
- 1960Echo 1A, NASA’s first successful communications satellite, is launched.
- 1976Between 1,000 and 3,500 Palestinians are killed in the Tel al-Zaatar massacre, one of the bloodiest events of the Lebanese Civil War
- 1977The Sri Lankan riots of 1977, targeting the minority Sri Lankan Tamil people, begin, less than a month after the United National Party came to power. Over 300 Tamils are killed.
- 1978The Treaty of Peace and Friendship between Japan and the People’s Republic of China is signed.
- 2005Sri Lanka’s foreign minister, Lakshman Kadirgamar, is fatally shot by an LTTE sniper at his home.
Who were born on August 12?
- 1910Yusof bin Ishak, first President of Singapore (d. 1970)
- 1925Ross McWhirter, Scottish co-founder of the Guinness Book of Records (d. 1975)
- 1932Dallin H. Oaks, American The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints apostle and former Utah Supreme Court Justice
- 1932Sirikit, Queen consort of Thailand, wife of Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)
- 1935John Cazale, American actor (d. 1978)
- 1939Skip Caray, American TV and radio baseball announcer (Atlanta Braves) (d. 2008)
- 1952Chen Kaige, Chinese film director
- 1956Bruce Greenwood, Canadian actor
- 1961Mark Priest, New Zealand cricketer
- 1973Richard Reid, British terrorist (the “Shoe Bomber”)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.