August 12: Day of the Week
August 12, 2018 is the 224th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 141 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 12: This Day in History
It is the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. It is also known as the “Glorious Twelfth” in the UK, as it marks the traditional start of the grouse shooting season.
August 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1793The Rhône and Loire (Lêre) départments are created when the former département of Rhône-et-Loire is split into two.
- 1851Isaac Singer is granted a patent for his sewing machine.
- 1877Asaph Hall discovers the Mars moon Deimos.
- 1898An Armistice ends the Spanish-American War.
- 1898The Hawaiian flag is lowered from Iolani Palace in an elaborate annexation ceremony and replaced with the flag of the United States to signify the transfer of sovereignty from the Republic of Hawai`i to the United States.
- 1944Alençon is liberated by General Leclerc, the first city in France to be liberated from the Nazis by French forces.
- 1944Waffen SS troops massacre 560 people in Sant'Anna di Stazzema.
- 1977The Sri Lankan riots of 1977, targeting the minority Sri Lankan Tamil people, begin, less than a month after the United National Party came to power. Over 300 Tamils are killed.
- 1992Canada, Mexico and the United States announce completion of negotiations for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
- 2007The bulk carrier M/V New Flame collides with the oil tanker Torm Gertrud at the southernmost tip of Gibraltar, ending up partially submerged.
Who were born on August 12?
- 1762King George IV of the United Kingdom (d. 1830)
- 1897Maurice Fernandes, Guyanese West Indies cricketer (d. 1981)
- 1926Joe Jones, American R&B singer (d. 2005)
- 1926John Derek, American actor (d. 1998)
- 1937Walter Dean Myers, American novelist and poet
- 1956Bruce Greenwood, Canadian actor
- 1967Andrey Plotnikov, Russian race walker
- 1981Tony Capaldi, Northern Irish footballer
- 1983Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Dutch footballer
- 1989Tom Cleverley, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.