August 12: Day of the Week
August 12, 2020 is the 225th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 141 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Abraham’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 12: This Day in History
It is the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. It is also known as the “Glorious Twelfth” in the UK, as it marks the traditional start of the grouse shooting season.
August 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1121Battle of Didgori: the Georgian army under King David the Builder wins a decisive victory over the famous Seljuk commander Ilghazi.
- 1164Battle of Harim: Nur ad-Din Zangi defeats the Crusader armies of the County of Tripoli and the Principality of Antioch.
- 1624The president of Louis XIII of France’s royal council is arrested, leaving Cardinal Richelieu in the role of the King’s principal minister.
- 1676Praying Indian John Alderman shoots and kills Metacomet, the Wampanoag war chief, ending King Philip’s War.
- 1883The last quagga dies at the Artis Magistra zoo in Amsterdam.
- 1944Waffen SS troops massacre 560 people in Sant'Anna di Stazzema.
- 1964South Africa is banned from the Olympic Games due to the country’s racist policies.
- 1977The first free flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
- 1981The IBM Personal Computer is released.
- 1985Japan Airlines Flight 123 crashes into Osutaka ridge in Gunma Prefecture, Japan, killing 520, to become the worst single-plane air disaster.
Who were born on August 12?
- 1899Ben Sealey, Trinidadian West Indies cricketer (d. 1963)
- 1932Charlie O'Donnell, American game show announcer (d. 2010)
- 1932Sirikit, Queen consort of Thailand, wife of Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)
- 1959Amanda Redman, English actress
- 1967Andrey Plotnikov, Russian race walker
- 1967Regilio Tuur, Dutch boxer
- 1977Jesper Grønkjær, Danish footballer
- 1977Park Yong-ha, South Korean actor and singer (d. 2010)
- 1978Chris Chambers, American football player
- 1988Justin Gaston, American actor, model and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.