August 16: Day of the Week
August 16, 2019 was the 228th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 137 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Frederick’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1328The House of Gonzaga seizes power in the Duchy of Mantua, and will rule until 1708.
- 1858U.S. President James Buchanan inaugurates the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. However, a weak signal forces a shutdown of the service in a few weeks.
- 1859The Tuscan National Assembly formally deposes the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Mars-La-Tour is fought, resulting in a Prussian victory.
- 1896Skookum Jim Mason, George Carmack and Dawson Charlie discover gold in a tributary of the Klondike River in Canada, setting off the Klondike Gold Rush.
- 1913Completion of the Royal Navy battlecruiser HMS Queen Mary.
- 1913Tōhoku Imperial University of Japan (modern day Tōhoku University) becomes the first university in Japan to admit female students.
- 1914World War I: Battle of Cer begins.
- 1920Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians is hit on the head by a fastball thrown by Carl Mays of the New York Yankees, and dies early the next day. Chapman was the second player to die from injuries sustained in a Major League Baseball game, the first being Doc Powers in 1909.
- 1920The congress of the Communist Party of Bukhara opens. The congress would call for armed revolution.
Who were born on August 16?
- 1378Hongxi Emperor of China (d. 1425)
- 1860Martin Hawke, 7th Baron Hawke, England cricketer (d. 1938)
- 1904Wendell Meredith Stanley, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1971)
- 1928Eddie Kirkland, American blues guitarist, harmonicist, singer, and songwriter (d. 2011)
- 1947Marc Messier, Canadian actor
- 1949Barbara Goodson, American voice actress
- 1957Randhir Singh, Indian cricketer
- 1980Hwangbo, Korean singer/rapper
- 1981Denis Gremelmayr, German male tennis player
- 1997Greyson Chance, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.