August 16: Day of the Week
August 16, 2019 is the 228th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 137 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The Americans led by General John Stark rout British and Brunswick troops under Friedrich Baum at the Battle of Bennington in Walloomsac, New York.
- 1793French Revolution: a levée en masse is decreed by the National Convention.
- 1858U.S. President James Buchanan inaugurates the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. However, a weak signal forces a shutdown of the service in a few weeks.
- 1869Battle of Acosta Ñu: A Paraguayan battalion made up of children is massacred by the Brazilian Army during the War of the Triple Alliance.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Mars-La-Tour is fought, resulting in a Prussian victory.
- 1891The Basilica of San Sebastian in Manila, the first all-steel church in Asia, is officially inaugurated and blessed.
- 1906An estimated 8.2 MW earthquake hits Valparaíso, Chile, killing 3,886 people.
- 1920Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians is hit on the head by a fastball thrown by Carl Mays of the New York Yankees, and dies early the next day. Chapman was the second player to die from injuries sustained in a Major League Baseball game, the first being Doc Powers in 1909.
- 1960Joseph Kittinger parachutes from a balloon over New Mexico at 102800 ft, setting three records that still stand today: High-altitude jump, free-fall, and highest speed by a human without an aircraft.
- 1962Eight years after the remaining French India territories were handed to India, the ratifications of the treaty are exchanged to make the transfer official.
Who were born on August 16?
- 1815John Bosco, Italian priest and educator (d. 1888)
- 1895Liane Haid, Austrian actress (d. 2000)
- 1920Charles Bukowski, American poet (d. 1994)
- 1935Cliff Fletcher, Canadian National Hockey League executive
- 1943Sharon Baird, American actress and tap dancer
- 1946Lesley Ann Warren, American actress
- 1953Kathie Lee Gifford, American singer and actress
- 1970Killah Priest, American rapper
- 1975Didier Agathe, French footballer
- 1983Colin Griffiths, English TV presenter and DJ
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.