August 16: Day of the Week
August 16, 2019 is the 228th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 137 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1780American Revolutionary War: Battle of Camden – The British defeat the Americans near Camden, South Carolina.
- 1812War of 1812: American General William Hull surrenders Fort Detroit without a fight to the British Army.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Mars-La-Tour is fought, resulting in a Prussian victory.
- 1891The Basilica of San Sebastian in Manila, the first all-steel church in Asia, is officially inaugurated and blessed.
- 1896Skookum Jim Mason, George Carmack and Dawson Charlie discover gold in a tributary of the Klondike River in Canada, setting off the Klondike Gold Rush.
- 1906An estimated 8.2 MW earthquake hits Valparaíso, Chile, killing 3,886 people.
- 1913Completion of the Royal Navy battlecruiser HMS Queen Mary.
- 1914World War I: Battle of Cer begins.
- 1920Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians is hit on the head by a fastball thrown by Carl Mays of the New York Yankees, and dies early the next day. Chapman was the second player to die from injuries sustained in a Major League Baseball game, the first being Doc Powers in 1909.
- 1972In an unsuccessful coup d'état attempt, the Royal Moroccan Air Force fires upon Hassan II of Morocco’s plane while he is traveling back to Rabat.
Who were born on August 16?
- 1761Yevstigney Fomin, Russian composer (d. 1800)
- 1868Bernarr McFadden, American publisher (d. 1955)
- 1909Paul Callaway, American organist and choral conductor (d. 1995)
- 1929Bill Evans, American jazz pianist (d. 1980)
- 1929Wyatt Tee Walker, American civil rights activist
- 1937David Behrman, US composer and producer
- 1948Mike Jorgensen, American baseball player
- 1954George Galloway, British politician
- 1959Laura Innes, American actress
- 1991G.E.M., Hong Kong singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.