August 16: Day of the Week
August 16, 2019 is the 228th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 137 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The Americans led by General John Stark rout British and Brunswick troops under Friedrich Baum at the Battle of Bennington in Walloomsac, New York.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: Battle of Camden – The British defeat the Americans near Camden, South Carolina.
- 1793French Revolution: a levée en masse is decreed by the National Convention.
- 1841U.S. President John Tyler vetoes a bill which called for the re-establishment of the Second Bank of the United States. Enraged Whig Party members riot outside the White House in the most violent demonstration on White House grounds in U.S. history.
- 1863The Dominican Restoration War begins when Gregorio Luperón raises the Dominican flag in Santo Domingo after Spain had recolonized the country.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Mars-La-Tour is fought, resulting in a Prussian victory.
- 1906An estimated 8.2 MW earthquake hits Valparaíso, Chile, killing 3,886 people.
- 1920Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians is hit on the head by a fastball thrown by Carl Mays of the New York Yankees, and dies early the next day. Chapman was the second player to die from injuries sustained in a Major League Baseball game, the first being Doc Powers in 1909.
- 1945Puyi, the last Chinese emperor and ruler of Manchukuo, is captured by Soviet troops.
- 1964Vietnam War: A coup d'état replaces Duong Van Minh with General Nguyen Khanh as President of South Vietnam. A new constitution is established with aid from the U.S. Embassy.
Who were born on August 16?
- 1894George Meany, American labor union leader (d. 1980)
- 1911E. F. Schumacher, German economist and statistician (d. 1977)
- 1924Fess Parker, American actor (d. 2010)
- 1930Frank Gifford, American football player and announcer
- 1933Julie Newmar, American actress
- 1957Tim Farriss, Australian musician (INXS)
- 1970Killah Priest, American rapper
- 1974Iván Hurtado, Ecuadorian footballer
- 1983Nikos Zisis, Greek basketball player
- 1985Agnes Bruckner, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.