August 16: Day of the Week
August 16, 2019 was the 228th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 137 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Donna’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1513Battle of Guinegate (Battle of the Spurs) – King Henry VIII of England defeats French Forces who are then forced to retreat.
- 1812War of 1812: American General William Hull surrenders Fort Detroit without a fight to the British Army.
- 1819Seventeen people die and over 600 are injured in cavalry charges at a public meeting at St. Peter’s Field, Manchester, England.
- 1841U.S. President John Tyler vetoes a bill which called for the re-establishment of the Second Bank of the United States. Enraged Whig Party members riot outside the White House in the most violent demonstration on White House grounds in U.S. history.
- 1858U.S. President James Buchanan inaugurates the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. However, a weak signal forces a shutdown of the service in a few weeks.
- 1920The congress of the Communist Party of Bukhara opens. The congress would call for armed revolution.
- 1929The 1929 Palestine riots break out in the British Mandate of Palestine between Arabs and Jews and continue until the end of the month. In total, 133 Jews and 116 Arabs are killed.
- 1942World War II: The two-person crew of the U.S. naval blimp L-8 disappears without a trace on a routine anti-submarine patrol over the Pacific Ocean. The blimp drifts without her crew and crash-lands in Daly City, California.
- 1945Puyi, the last Chinese emperor and ruler of Manchukuo, is captured by Soviet troops.
- 1989A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto’s stock market.
Who were born on August 16?
- 1355Countess Philippa Plantagenet of Ulster (d. 1382)
- 1882Christian Mortensen, Danish-born American supercentenarian (d. 1998)
- 1930Robert Culp, American actor (d. 2010)
- 1957Tim Farriss, Australian musician (INXS)
- 1960Timothy Hutton, American actor
- 1972George Stroumboulopoulos, Canadian television and radio personality
- 1974Iván Hurtado, Ecuadorian footballer
- 1976Jonatan Johansson, Finnish footballer
- 1979Monder Rizki, Belgian athlete
- 1981Taylor Rain, American pornographic actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.