August 17: Day of the Week
August 17, 2021 was the 229th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 136 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TBRXTLAXIAAO? Check your answers here: Unscramble words TBRXTLAXIAAO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1862Indian Wars: The Dakota War of 1862 begins in Minnesota as Lakota warriors attack white settlements along the Minnesota River.
- 1907Pike Place Market, a popular tourist destination and registered historic district in Seattle, opened.
- 1914World War I: Battle of Stalluponen – The German army of General Hermann von François defeats the Russian force commanded by Pavel Rennenkampf near modern-day Nesterov, Russia.
- 1943World War II: The Royal Air Force begins Operation Hydra, the first air raid of the Operation Crossbow strategic bombing campaign against Germany’s V-weapon programme.
- 1943World War II: The U.S. Eighth Air Force suffers the loss of 60 bombers on the Schweinfurt–Regensburg mission.
- 1945Sukarno and Mohammad Hatta proclaim the independence of Indonesia, igniting the Indonesian National Revolution against the Dutch Empire.
- 1950Hill 303 massacre: American POWs were massacred by North Korean Army.
- 1970Venera Program: Venera 7 launched. It will later become the first spacecraft to successfully transmit data from the surface of another planet (Venus).
- 1978Double Eagle II becomes first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine.
- 1988Pakistani President Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq and U.S. Ambassador Arnold Raphel are killed in a plane crash.
Who were born on August 17?
- 1873John A. Sampson, American gynecologist (d. 1946)
- 1921Geoffrey Rudolph Elton, British historian (d. 1994)
- 1929Jimmy Donley, American singer (d. 1963)
- 1943John Humphrys Welsh broadcaster and journalist
- 1958Fred Goodwin, British banker
- 1959Chika Sakamoto, Japanese voice actress and singer
- 1962Gilby Clarke, American musician (Guns N' Roses)
- 1962John Marshall Jones, American actor
- 1974Tony Hajjar, Lebanese musician (At the Drive-In, Sparta)
- 1980Keith Dabengwa, Zimbabwean cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.