August 17: Day of the Week
August 17, 2021 is the 229th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 136 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters DUOOHJNHI? Check your answers here: Word solver DUOOHJNHI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1807Robert Fulton’s North River Steamboat leaves New York City for Albany, New York on the Hudson River, inaugurating the first commercial steamboat service in the world.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Gainesville – Confederate forces defeat Union troops near Gainesville, Florida.
- 1907Pike Place Market, a popular tourist destination and registered historic district in Seattle, opened.
- 1959Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, the much acclaimed and highly influential best selling jazz recording of all time, is released.
- 1969Category 5 Hurricane Camille hits the Mississippi coast, killing 248 people and causing $1.5 billion in damage.
- 1978Double Eagle II becomes first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine.
- 1979Two Soviet Aeroflot jetliners collide in mid-air over Ukraine, killing 156.
- 1988Pakistani President Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq and U.S. Ambassador Arnold Raphel are killed in a plane crash.
- 2005Over 500 bombs are set off by terrorists at 300 locations in 63 out of the 64 districts of Bangladesh
- 2008American swimmer Michael Phelps becomes the first person to win eight gold medals in one Olympic Games.
Who were born on August 17?
- 1768Louis Charles Antoine Desaix, French general (d. 1800)
- 1922Roy Tattersall, England cricketer (d. 2011)
- 1932V. S. Naipaul, West Indian writer, Nobel Laureate
- 1949Norm Coleman, American politician
- 1959Eric Schlosser, American author
- 1966Maysa Leak, American jazz singer
- 1972Ken Ryker, American pornographic actor
- 1978Karena Lam, Hong Kong actress
- 1984Garrett Wolfe, American football player
- 1986Bryton McClure, American actor & singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.