August 17: Day of the Week
August 17, 2019 was the 229th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 136 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1862American Civil War: Major General J.E.B. Stuart is assigned command of all the cavalry of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia.
- 1862Indian Wars: The Dakota War of 1862 begins in Minnesota as Lakota warriors attack white settlements along the Minnesota River.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Gainesville – Confederate forces defeat Union troops near Gainesville, Florida.
- 1883The first public performance of the Dominican Republic’s national anthem, Himno Nacional.
- 1943World War II: The U.S. Eighth Air Force suffers the loss of 60 bombers on the Schweinfurt–Regensburg mission.
- 1947The Radcliffe Line, the border between Union of India and Dominion of Pakistan is revealed.
- 1953Addiction: First meeting of Narcotics Anonymous in Southern California.
- 1959Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, the much acclaimed and highly influential best selling jazz recording of all time, is released.
- 1978Double Eagle II becomes first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine.
- 2005Over 500 bombs are set off by terrorists at 300 locations in 63 out of the 64 districts of Bangladesh
Who were born on August 17?
- 1601Pierre de Fermat, French mathematician (d. 1665)
- 1904Leopold Nowak, Austrian musicologist (d. 1991)
- 1913Óscar Alfredo Gálvez, Argentine racing driver (d. 1989)
- 1914Franklin Delano Roosevelt Jr., son of Franklin Delano Roosevelt (d. 1988)
- 1929Francis Gary Powers, American U-2 pilot (d. 1977)
- 1933Mark Dinning, American singer (d. 1986)
- 1937Ronnie Butler, singer
- 1941Jean Pierre Lefebvre, French Canadian film director
- 1949Norm Coleman, American politician
- 1963S. Shankar, Indian film director
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.