August 17: Day of the Week
August 17, 2020 is the 230th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 136 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jade’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1883The first public performance of the Dominican Republic’s national anthem, Himno Nacional.
- 1915Jewish American Leo Frank is lynched for the alleged murder of a 13-year-old girl in Marietta, Georgia, United States.
- 1942World War II: U.S. Marines raid the Japanese-held Pacific island of Makin (Butaritari).
- 1969Category 5 Hurricane Camille hits the Mississippi coast, killing 248 people and causing $1.5 billion in damage.
- 1978Double Eagle II becomes first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine.
- 1979Two Soviet Aeroflot jetliners collide in mid-air over Ukraine, killing 156.
- 1980Azaria Chamberlain disappears, probably taken by a dingo, leading to what was then the most publicised trial in Australian history.
- 1982The first Compact Discs (CDs) are released to the public in Germany.
- 1999A 7.4-magnitude earthquake strikes İzmit, Turkey, killing more than 17,000 and injuring 44,000.
- 2005The first forced evacuation of settlers, as part of the Israel unilateral disengagement plan, starts.
Who were born on August 17?
- 1753Josef Dobrovský, Czech linguist (d. 1828)
- 1786Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, mother of Queen Victoria (d. 1861)
- 1794Prince Alexander of Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst, German priest (d. 1849)
- 1953Michael Malthouse, Premiership winning Australian football coach
- 1956Álvaro Pino, Spanish cyclist
- 1967David Conrad, American actor
- 1977Tarja Turunen, Finnish singer
- 1980Lene Marlin, Norwegian singer
- 1984Garrett Wolfe, American football player
- 1986Tyrus Thomas, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.