August 17: Day of the Week
August 17, 2019 was the 229th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 136 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alma’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1883The first public performance of the Dominican Republic’s national anthem, Himno Nacional.
- 1915A Category 4 hurricane hits Galveston, Texas with winds at 135 mph.
- 1943World War II: The U.S. Seventh Army under General George S. Patton arrives in Messina, Italy, followed several hours later by the British 8th Army under Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery, thus completing the Allied conquest of Sicily.
- 1947The Radcliffe Line, the border between Union of India and Dominion of Pakistan is revealed.
- 1962East German border guards kill 18-year-old Peter Fechter as he attempts to cross the Berlin Wall into West Berlin becoming one of the first victims of the wall.
- 1969Category 5 Hurricane Camille hits the Mississippi coast, killing 248 people and causing $1.5 billion in damage.
- 1970Venera Program: Venera 7 launched. It will later become the first spacecraft to successfully transmit data from the surface of another planet (Venus).
- 1978Double Eagle II becomes first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine.
- 2004The National Assembly of Serbia unanimously adopts new state symbols for Serbia: Boze Pravde becomes the new anthem and the coat of arms is adopted for the whole country.
- 2008American swimmer Michael Phelps becomes the first person to win eight gold medals in one Olympic Games.
Who were born on August 17?
- 1880Percy Sherwell, South African cricketer (d. 1948)
- 1913Óscar Alfredo Gálvez, Argentine racing driver (d. 1989)
- 1913Rudy York, American baseball player (d. 1970)
- 1944Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle Corporation, billionaire
- 1951Alan Minter, British boxer
- 1959David Koresh, American cult leader (d. 1993)
- 1959Jonathan Franzen, American author
- 1966Rodney Mullen, American skateboarder
- 1970Rupert Degas, English actor and voice artist
- 1988Erika Toda, Japanese actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.