August 17: Day of the Week
August 17, 2020 was the 230th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 136 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LYFEOWA? Check your answers here: Words with these letters LYFEOWA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1862American Civil War: Major General J.E.B. Stuart is assigned command of all the cavalry of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia.
- 1862Indian Wars: The Dakota War of 1862 begins in Minnesota as Lakota warriors attack white settlements along the Minnesota River.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Gainesville – Confederate forces defeat Union troops near Gainesville, Florida.
- 1915A Category 4 hurricane hits Galveston, Texas with winds at 135 mph.
- 1943World War II: The U.S. Eighth Air Force suffers the loss of 60 bombers on the Schweinfurt–Regensburg mission.
- 1959Quake Lake is formed by the magnitude 7.5 1959 Yellowstone earthquake near Hebgen Lake in Montana.
- 1978Double Eagle II becomes first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine.
- 1999A 7.4-magnitude earthquake strikes İzmit, Turkey, killing more than 17,000 and injuring 44,000.
- 2004The National Assembly of Serbia unanimously adopts new state symbols for Serbia: Boze Pravde becomes the new anthem and the coat of arms is adopted for the whole country.
- 2009An accident at the Sayano–Shushenskaya Dam in Khakassia, Russia, kills 75 and shuts down the hydroelectric power station, leading to widespread power failure in the local area.
Who were born on August 17?
- 1913Óscar Alfredo Gálvez, Argentine racing driver (d. 1989)
- 1920Maureen O'Hara, Irish actress
- 1922Roy Tattersall, England cricketer (d. 2011)
- 1929Francis Gary Powers, American U-2 pilot (d. 1977)
- 1941Jean Pierre Lefebvre, French Canadian film director
- 1953Michael Malthouse, Premiership winning Australian football coach
- 1970Jim Courier, American tennis player
- 1977Matthew Oakley, English footballer
- 1978Vibeke Stene, Norwegian singer (Tristania)
- 1984Dee Brown, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.