August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2022 is the 214th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WZEIXKYACS? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters WZEIXKYACS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 216 BCSecond Punic War: Battle of Cannae – The Carthaginian army led by Hannibal defeats a numerically superior Roman army under command of consuls Lucius Aemilius Paullus and Gaius Terentius Varro.
- 1610Henry Hudson sails into what is now known as Hudson Bay thinking he had made it through the Northwest Passage and reached the Pacific Ocean.
- 1903Fall of the Ottoman Empire: an unsuccessful uprising led by the Internal Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Organization against Ottoman Turkey, also known as the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie Uprising, takes place.
- 1916World War I: Austrian sabotage causes the sinking of the Italian battleship Leonardo da Vinci in Taranto.
- 1918Japan announces that it is deploying troops to Siberia in the aftermath of World War I.
- 1918The first general strike in Canadian history takes place in Vancouver.
- 1937The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 is passed in America, the effect of which is to render marijuana and all its by-products illegal.
- 1980A bomb explodes at the railway station in Bologna, Italy, killing 85 people and wounding more than 200.
- 2005Air France Flight 358, lands at Toronto Pearson International Airport, and runs off the runway causing the plane to burst into flames leaving 12 injuries and no fatalities.
- 2011Three Rapid City, South Dakota officers stop a group of suspicious people on Anamosa Street. One man pulls out a revolver and fires six shots, killing one officer, mortally wounding another, and injuring the third.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1674Philip II, Duke of Orléans, Regent of France (d. 1723)
- 1815Adolf Friedrich von Schack, German writer (d. 1894)
- 1871John French Sloan, American artist (d. 1951)
- 1902Helen Morgan, American actress (d. 1941)
- 1924James Baldwin, American writer (d. 1987)
- 1930Vali Myers, Australian painter (d. 2003)
- 1949James Fallows, American journalist
- 1954Sammy McIlroy, Northern Irish footballer and manager
- 1959Victoria Jackson, American comedian
- 1970Tony Amonte, American ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.