August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2021 is the 214th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OTOQOM? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OTOQOM. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 216 BCSecond Punic War: Battle of Cannae – The Carthaginian army led by Hannibal defeats a numerically superior Roman army under command of consuls Lucius Aemilius Paullus and Gaius Terentius Varro.
- 1776The signing of the United States Declaration of Independence took place.
- 1869Japan’s samurai, farmer, artisan, merchant class system (Shinōkōshō) is abolished as part of the Meiji Restoration reforms. (Traditional Japanese date: June 25, 1869).
- 1897Anglo-Afghan wars: The Siege of Malakand ends when a relief column is able to reach the British garrison in the Malakand region of colonial India’s North West Frontier Province.
- 1916World War I: Austrian sabotage causes the sinking of the Italian battleship Leonardo da Vinci in Taranto.
- 1918Japan announces that it is deploying troops to Siberia in the aftermath of World War I.
- 1939Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd write a letter to Franklin D. Roosevelt, urging him to begin the Manhattan project to develop a nuclear weapon.
- 1945World War II: the Potsdam Conference, at which the Allied Powers discuss the future of defeated Germany, is concluded.
- 1985Delta Air Lines Flight 191, a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar crashes at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport killing 137.
- 1989Pakistan is re-admitted to the Commonwealth of Nations after having restoring democracy for the first time since 1972.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1890Marin Sais, American actress (d. 1971)
- 1924Carroll O'Connor, American actor (d. 2001)
- 1925Alan Whicker, British journalist and broadcaster
- 1931Eddie Fuller, South African cricketer (d. 2008)
- 1950Sue Rodriguez, Canadian assisted suicide advocate (d. 1994)
- 1955Caleb Carr, American novelist and military historian
- 1967Aaron Krickstein, American tennis player
- 1971Alice Evans, English actress
- 1975Ingrid Rubio, Spanish actress
- 1977Edward Furlong, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.