August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2020 was the 215th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Arianna’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1776The signing of the United States Declaration of Independence took place.
- 1798French Revolutionary Wars: the Battle of the Nile concludes in a British victory.
- 1830Charles X of France abdicates the throne in favor of his grandson Henri.
- 1869Japan’s samurai, farmer, artisan, merchant class system (Shinōkōshō) is abolished as part of the Meiji Restoration reforms. (Traditional Japanese date: June 25, 1869).
- 1932The positron (antiparticle of the electron) is discovered by Carl D. Anderson.
- 1939Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd write a letter to Franklin D. Roosevelt, urging him to begin the Manhattan project to develop a nuclear weapon.
- 1943World War II: the Motor Torpedo Boat PT-109 is rammed by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri and sinks. Lt. John F. Kennedy, future U.S. President, saves all but two of his crew.
- 1968An earthquake hits Casiguran, Aurora, Philippines killing more than 270 people and wounding 261.
- 1980A bomb explodes at the railway station in Bologna, Italy, killing 85 people and wounding more than 200.
- 1989Pakistan is re-admitted to the Commonwealth of Nations after having restoring democracy for the first time since 1972.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1815Adolf Friedrich von Schack, German writer (d. 1894)
- 1872George E. Stewart, American soldier, Medal of Honor recipient (d. 1946)
- 1905Myrna Loy, American actress (d. 1993)
- 1939John W. Snow, American 73rd United States Secretary of the Treasury
- 1945Joanna Cassidy, American actress
- 1955Tony Godden, English footballer
- 1960David Yow, American vocalist (Scratch Acid, The Jesus Lizard)
- 1964Mary-Louise Parker, American actress
- 1970Tony Amonte, American ice hockey player
- 1971Michael Hughes, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.