August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2021 is the 214th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TSEALIJU? Check your answers here: Words with these letters TSEALIJU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1610Henry Hudson sails into what is now known as Hudson Bay thinking he had made it through the Northwest Passage and reached the Pacific Ocean.
- 1873The Clay Street Hill Railroad begins operating the first cable car in San Francisco’s famous cable car system.
- 1897Anglo-Afghan wars: The Siege of Malakand ends when a relief column is able to reach the British garrison in the Malakand region of colonial India’s North West Frontier Province.
- 1903Fall of the Ottoman Empire: an unsuccessful uprising led by the Internal Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Organization against Ottoman Turkey, also known as the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie Uprising, takes place.
- 1937The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 is passed in America, the effect of which is to render marijuana and all its by-products illegal.
- 1943Rebellion in the Nazi death camp of Treblinka.
- 1943World War II: the Motor Torpedo Boat PT-109 is rammed by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri and sinks. Lt. John F. Kennedy, future U.S. President, saves all but two of his crew.
- 1944ASNOM: birth of the Socialist Republic of Macedonia, celebrated as Day of the Republic in the Republic of Macedonia.
- 1985Delta Air Lines Flight 191, a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar crashes at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport killing 137.
- 2005Air France Flight 358, lands at Toronto Pearson International Airport, and runs off the runway causing the plane to burst into flames leaving 12 injuries and no fatalities.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1890Marin Sais, American actress (d. 1971)
- 1922Gábor Agárdy, Hungarian actor (d. 2006)
- 1924Carroll O'Connor, American actor (d. 2001)
- 1924James Baldwin, American writer (d. 1987)
- 1925John McCormack, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1938Dave Balon, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2007)
- 1938Terry Peck, Falkland Islands-born British soldier (d. 2006)
- 1942Isabel Allende, Chilean author
- 1982Kerry Rhodes, American football player
- 1992Hallie Kate Eisenberg, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.