August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2020 was the 215th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IIUEXRXY? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters IIUEXRXY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1870Tower Subway, the world’s first underground tube railway, opens in London.
- 1897Anglo-Afghan wars: The Siege of Malakand ends when a relief column is able to reach the British garrison in the Malakand region of colonial India’s North West Frontier Province.
- 1923As vice president, Calvin Coolidge becomes the 30th President of the United States after the death of Warren G. Harding
- 1934Gleichschaltung: Adolf Hitler becomes Führer of Germany.
- 1937The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 is passed in America, the effect of which is to render marijuana and all its by-products illegal.
- 1943Rebellion in the Nazi death camp of Treblinka.
- 1945World War II: the Potsdam Conference, at which the Allied Powers discuss the future of defeated Germany, is concluded.
- 1964Vietnam War: Gulf of Tonkin incident – North Vietnamese gunboats allegedly fire on the U.S. destroyers USS Maddox and USS Turner Joy.
- 1968An earthquake hits Casiguran, Aurora, Philippines killing more than 270 people and wounding 261.
- 2005Air France Flight 358, lands at Toronto Pearson International Airport, and runs off the runway causing the plane to burst into flames leaving 12 injuries and no fatalities.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1455John Cicero, Elector of Brandenburg (d. 1499)
- 1740Jean Baptiste Camille Canclaux, French general (d. 1817)
- 1912Palle Huld, Danish actor (d. 2010)
- 1912Vladimir Žerjavić, Croatian statistician (d. 2001)
- 1943Max Wright, American actor
- 1960David Yow, American vocalist (Scratch Acid, The Jesus Lizard)
- 1963Daniel Pelosi, American convicted murderer
- 1967Aline Brosh McKenna, American screenwriter
- 1969Cedric Ceballos, American basketball player
- 1975Mineiro, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.