August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2019 is the 214th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 338 BCA Macedonian army led by Philip II defeated the combined forces of Athens and Thebes in the Battle of Chaeronea, securing Macedonian hegemony in Greece and the Aegean.
- 216 BCSecond Punic War: Battle of Cannae – The Carthaginian army led by Hannibal defeats a numerically superior Roman army under command of consuls Lucius Aemilius Paullus and Gaius Terentius Varro.
- 1377Russian troops are defeated in the Battle on Pyana River because of drunkenness.
- 1869Japan’s samurai, farmer, artisan, merchant class system (Shinōkōshō) is abolished as part of the Meiji Restoration reforms. (Traditional Japanese date: June 25, 1869).
- 1870Tower Subway, the world’s first underground tube railway, opens in London.
- 1903Fall of the Ottoman Empire: an unsuccessful uprising led by the Internal Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Organization against Ottoman Turkey, also known as the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie Uprising, takes place.
- 1916World War I: Austrian sabotage causes the sinking of the Italian battleship Leonardo da Vinci in Taranto.
- 1922A typhoon hits Shantou, Republic of China killing more than 50,000 people.
- 1932The positron (antiparticle of the electron) is discovered by Carl D. Anderson.
- 1943World War II: the Motor Torpedo Boat PT-109 is rammed by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri and sinks. Lt. John F. Kennedy, future U.S. President, saves all but two of his crew.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1924Joe Harnell, American pianist, composer and arranger (d. 2005)
- 1937Garth Hudson, Canadian organist and keyboardist (The Band)
- 1945Alex Jesaulenko, Australian rules footballer
- 1965Hisanobu Watanabe, Japanese baseball player and coach
- 1969Richard Hallebeek, Dutch jazz guitarist
- 1972Jacinda Barrett, Australian model and actress
- 1974Phil Williams, Radio 5live Presenter
- 1976Reyes Estévez, Spanish mid-distance runner
- 1977Edward Furlong, American actor
- 1986Mathieu Razanakolona, Canadian-born Malagasy skier
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.