August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2020 is the 215th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Annie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1610Henry Hudson sails into what is now known as Hudson Bay thinking he had made it through the Northwest Passage and reached the Pacific Ocean.
- 1776The signing of the United States Declaration of Independence took place.
- 1798French Revolutionary Wars: the Battle of the Nile concludes in a British victory.
- 1873The Clay Street Hill Railroad begins operating the first cable car in San Francisco’s famous cable car system.
- 1916World War I: Austrian sabotage causes the sinking of the Italian battleship Leonardo da Vinci in Taranto.
- 1923As vice president, Calvin Coolidge becomes the 30th President of the United States after the death of Warren G. Harding
- 1945World War II: the Potsdam Conference, at which the Allied Powers discuss the future of defeated Germany, is concluded.
- 1973A flash fire kills 51 at the Summerland amusement centre at Douglas, Isle of Man.
- 1980A bomb explodes at the railway station in Bologna, Italy, killing 85 people and wounding more than 200.
- 2005Air France Flight 358, lands at Toronto Pearson International Airport, and runs off the runway causing the plane to burst into flames leaving 12 injuries and no fatalities.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1820John Tyndall, British physicist (d. 1893)
- 1868King Constantine I of Greece (d. 1923)
- 1912Vladimir Žerjavić, Croatian statistician (d. 2001)
- 1915Gary Merrill, American actor (d. 1990)
- 1957Butch Vig, American record producer and drummer (Garbage)
- 1969Fernando Couto, Portuguese footballer
- 1972Daniele Nardello, Italian cyclist
- 1972Jacinda Barrett, Australian model and actress
- 1973Jay Meetze, American conductor and impresario
- 1989Vanes-Mari Du Toit, South African netballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.