August 2: Day of the Week
August 2, 2021 was the 214th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 151 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Erin’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1869Japan’s samurai, farmer, artisan, merchant class system (Shinōkōshō) is abolished as part of the Meiji Restoration reforms. (Traditional Japanese date: June 25, 1869).
- 1870Tower Subway, the world’s first underground tube railway, opens in London.
- 1873The Clay Street Hill Railroad begins operating the first cable car in San Francisco’s famous cable car system.
- 1923As vice president, Calvin Coolidge becomes the 30th President of the United States after the death of Warren G. Harding
- 1934Gleichschaltung: Adolf Hitler becomes Führer of Germany.
- 1937The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 is passed in America, the effect of which is to render marijuana and all its by-products illegal.
- 1943Rebellion in the Nazi death camp of Treblinka.
- 1973A flash fire kills 51 at the Summerland amusement centre at Douglas, Isle of Man.
- 1980A bomb explodes at the railway station in Bologna, Italy, killing 85 people and wounding more than 200.
- 2005Air France Flight 358, lands at Toronto Pearson International Airport, and runs off the runway causing the plane to burst into flames leaving 12 injuries and no fatalities.
Who were born on August 2?
- 1835Elisha Gray, American inventor and entrepreneur (d. 1901)
- 1922Gábor Agárdy, Hungarian actor (d. 2006)
- 1924Carroll O'Connor, American actor (d. 2001)
- 1944Naná Vasconcelos, Brazilian jazz percussionist and vocalist
- 1948Andy Fairweather Low, Welsh guitarist (Amen Corner)
- 1949James Fallows, American journalist
- 1951Per Westerberg, Swedish politician
- 1980Ivica Banović, Croatian footballer
- 1983Nick Diaz, American MMA fighter
- 1988Brittany Hargest, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.