August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2020 is the 233rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Steve’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 636Battle of Yarmouk: Arab forces led by Khalid ibn al-Walid take control of Syria and Palestine away from the Byzantine Empire, marking the first great wave of Muslim conquests and the rapid advance of Islam outside Arabia.
- 917Battle of Acheloos: Tsar Simeon I of Bulgaria decisively defeats a Byzantine army.
- 1000The foundation of the Hungarian state by Saint Stephen. Today celebrated as a National Day in Hungary.
- 1391Konrad von Wallenrode becomes the 24th Hochmeister of the Teutonic Order.
- 1944World War II: the Battle of Romania begins with a major Soviet offensive.
- 1989The pleasure boat Marchioness sinks on the River Thames following a collision, 51 people are killed.
- 1991Estonia, annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, issues a decision on the re-establishment of independence on the basis of historical continuity of her pre-World War II statehood.
- 1997Souhane massacre in Algeria; over 60 people are killed and 15 kidnapped.
- 1998The Supreme Court of Canada rules that Quebec cannot legally secede from Canada without the federal government’s approval.
- 2002A group of Iraqis opposed to the regime of Saddam Hussein take over the Iraqi Embassy in Berlin for five hours before releasing their hostages and surrendering.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1916Paul Felix Schmidt, Estonian–German chess player (d. 1984)
- 1934Armi Kuusela, Finnish beauty queen
- 1937Andrei Konchalovsky, Russian film director
- 1941Robin Oakley, British journalist
- 1971Steve Stone, English footballer
- 1976Chris Drury, American hockey player
- 1977James Ormond, England cricketer
- 1977Manuel Contepomi, Argentine rugby player
- 1980Rochelle Gadd, British actress
- 1990Ranomi Kromowidjojo, Dutch swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.