August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2019 was the 232nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Sophia’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1794Battle of Fallen Timbers – American troops force a confederacy of Shawnee, Mingo, Delaware, Wyandot, Miami, Ottawa, Chippewa, and Potawatomi warriors into a disorganized retreat.
- 1858Charles Darwin first publishes his theory of evolution through natural selection in The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, alongside Alfred Russel Wallace’s same theory.
- 1920The first commercial radio station, 8MK (now WWJ), begins operations in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1944World War II: 168 captured allied airmen, including Phil Lamason, accused by the Gestapo of being “terror fliers”, arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.
- 1955In Morocco, a force of Berbers from the Atlas Mountains region of Algeria raid two rural settlements and kill 77 French nationals.
- 1960Senegal breaks from the Mali Federation, declaring its independence.
- 1977Voyager Program: NASA launches the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
- 1991Estonia, annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, issues a decision on the re-establishment of independence on the basis of historical continuity of her pre-World War II statehood.
- 1993After rounds of secret negotiations in Norway, the Oslo Peace Accords are signed, followed by a public ceremony in Washington, D.C. the following month.
- 2008Spanair Flight 5022, from Madrid to Gran Canaria, skids off the runway and crashes at Barajas Airport. 146 people are killed in the crash, and 8 more die later. Only 18 people survive.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1632Louis Bourdaloue, French Jesuit preacher (d. 1704)
- 1778Bernardo O'Higgins, South American revolutionary (d. 1842)
- 1932Atholl McKinnon, South African cricketer (d. 1983)
- 1934Armi Kuusela, Finnish beauty queen
- 1937Andrei Konchalovsky, Russian film director
- 1937El Fary, Spanish singer and actor (d. 2007)
- 1940Rubén Hinojosa, American politician
- 1941Jo Ramirez, Mexican motor racing team manager and author
- 1967Colin Cunningham, American actor
- 1980Rochelle Gadd, British actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.