August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2020 was the 233rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QLVSIJLASO? Check your answers here: Word search QLVSIJLASO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1000The foundation of the Hungarian state by Saint Stephen. Today celebrated as a National Day in Hungary.
- 1710War of the Spanish Succession: a multinational army led by the Austrian commander Guido Starhemberg defeats the Spanish-Bourbon army commanded by the Marquis de Bay in the Battle of Saragossa.
- 1938Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam – a record that still stands.
- 1944World War II: 168 captured allied airmen, including Phil Lamason, accused by the Gestapo of being “terror fliers”, arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.
- 1975Viking Program: NASA launches the Viking 1 planetary probe toward Mars.
- 1988“Black Saturday” of the Yellowstone fire in Yellowstone National Park
- 1988Iran–Iraq War: a cease-fire is agreed after almost eight years of war.
- 1988Peru becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1989The O-Bahn in Adelaide, the world’s longest guided busway, opens.
- 1997Souhane massacre in Algeria; over 60 people are killed and 15 kidnapped.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1905Jean Gebser, German-born author, linguist, and poet (d. 1973)
- 1908Al Lopez, American baseball player and manager (d. 2005)
- 1926Nobby Wirkowski, American and Canadian football player and coach
- 1929Kevin Heffernan, Gaelic footballer
- 1942Isaac Hayes, American singer, songwriter, and actor (d. 2008)
- 1944Graig Nettles, American baseball player
- 1952John Emburey, English cricketer
- 1966David Rees Snell, American actor (The Shield)
- 1968Yuri Shiratori, Japanese voice actress and singer
- 1974Maxim Vengerov, Russian violinist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.