August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2019 was the 232nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Amelia’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 917Battle of Acheloos: Tsar Simeon I of Bulgaria decisively defeats a Byzantine army.
- 1882Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture debuts in Moscow.
- 1920The first commercial radio station, 8MK (now WWJ), begins operations in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1940British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line “Never was so much owed by so many to so few”.
- 1940In Mexico City exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramon Mercader. He dies the next day.
- 1944World War II: 168 captured allied airmen, including Phil Lamason, accused by the Gestapo of being “terror fliers”, arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.
- 1977Voyager Program: NASA launches the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
- 1989The O-Bahn in Adelaide, the world’s longest guided busway, opens.
- 1991Dissolution of the Soviet Union, August Coup: more than 100,000 people rally outside the Soviet Union’s parliament building protesting the coup aiming to depose President Mikhail Gorbachev.
- 2008Spanair Flight 5022, from Madrid to Gran Canaria, skids off the runway and crashes at Barajas Airport. 146 people are killed in the crash, and 8 more die later. Only 18 people survive.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1856Jakub Bart-Ćišinski, Sorbian writer (d. 1909)
- 1926Nobby Wirkowski, American and Canadian football player and coach
- 1929Kevin Heffernan, Gaelic footballer
- 1937Andrei Konchalovsky, Russian film director
- 1937Stelvio Cipriani, Italian composer
- 1966Dimebag Darrell, American guitarist (Pantera and Damageplan) (d. 2004)
- 1973Todd Helton, American baseball player
- 1977Felipe Contepomi, Argentine rugby player
- 1977Manuel Contepomi, Argentine rugby player
- 1986Robert Clark, Canadian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.