August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2018 was the 232nd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1672Former Grand Pensionary Johan de Witt and his brother Cornelis are brutally murdered by an angry mob in The Hague.
- 1710War of the Spanish Succession: a multinational army led by the Austrian commander Guido Starhemberg defeats the Spanish-Bourbon army commanded by the Marquis de Bay in the Battle of Saragossa.
- 1940British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line “Never was so much owed by so many to so few”.
- 1940In Mexico City exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramon Mercader. He dies the next day.
- 1988The Troubles: Eight British Army soldiers are killed and 28 wounded when their bus is hit by a Provisional Irish Republican Army roadside bomb in Northern Ireland (see Ballygawley bus bombing).
- 1991Estonia, annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, issues a decision on the re-establishment of independence on the basis of historical continuity of her pre-World War II statehood.
- 1993After rounds of secret negotiations in Norway, the Oslo Peace Accords are signed, followed by a public ceremony in Washington, D.C. the following month.
- 1998The Supreme Court of Canada rules that Quebec cannot legally secede from Canada without the federal government’s approval.
- 1998U.S. embassy bombings: the United States launches cruise missile attacks against alleged al-Qaida camps in Afghanistan and a suspected chemical plant in Sudan in retaliation for the August 7 bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
- 2008Spanair Flight 5022, from Madrid to Gran Canaria, skids off the runway and crashes at Barajas Airport. 146 people are killed in the crash, and 8 more die later. Only 18 people survive.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1856Jakub Bart-Ćišinski, Sorbian writer (d. 1909)
- 1919Walter Bernstein, American screenwriter
- 1927Yootha Joyce, English actress (d. 1980)
- 1934Tom Mangold, British journalist and author
- 1949Nikolas Asimos, Greek composer and singer (d. 1988)
- 1970John D. Carmack, American computer game programmer
- 1972Chaney Kley, American actor (d. 2007)
- 1974Amy Adams, American actress
- 1977Mayra Veronica, Cuban model and actress
- 1988Jerryd Bayless, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.