August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2023 is the 232nd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GQMHEXAPVAA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters GQMHEXAPVAA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 636Battle of Yarmouk: Arab forces led by Khalid ibn al-Walid take control of Syria and Palestine away from the Byzantine Empire, marking the first great wave of Muslim conquests and the rapid advance of Islam outside Arabia.
- 1000The foundation of the Hungarian state by Saint Stephen. Today celebrated as a National Day in Hungary.
- 1308Pope Clement V pardons Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, absolving him of charges of heresy.
- 1910The Great Fire of 1910 (also commonly referred to as the Big Blowup or the Big Burn) occurred in northeast Washington, northern Idaho (the panhandle), and western Montana, burning approximately 3 e6acre.
- 1938Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam – a record that still stands.
- 1940British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line “Never was so much owed by so many to so few”.
- 1944World War II: 168 captured allied airmen, including Phil Lamason, accused by the Gestapo of being “terror fliers”, arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.
- 1944World War II: the Battle of Romania begins with a major Soviet offensive.
- 1988Iran–Iraq War: a cease-fire is agreed after almost eight years of war.
- 1989The pleasure boat Marchioness sinks on the River Thames following a collision, 51 people are killed.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1625Thomas Corneille, French dramatist (d. 1709)
- 1845St. Albert Chmielowski, Polish Catholic Saint (d. 1916)
- 1930Mario Bernardi, Canadian conductor
- 1941Robin Oakley, British journalist
- 1954Quinn Buckner, American basketball player and coach
- 1957Finlay Calder, Scottish rugby player
- 1962James Marsters, American actor
- 1969Billy Gardell, American actor and comedian
- 1972Chaney Kley, American actor (d. 2007)
- 1974Maxim Vengerov, Russian violinist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.