August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2020 is the 233rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Julio’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1083Canonization of the first King of Hungary, Saint Stephen and his son Saint Emeric.
- 1794Battle of Fallen Timbers – American troops force a confederacy of Shawnee, Mingo, Delaware, Wyandot, Miami, Ottawa, Chippewa, and Potawatomi warriors into a disorganized retreat.
- 1920The first commercial radio station, 8MK (now WWJ), begins operations in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1926Japan’s public broadcasting company, Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai (NHK) is established.
- 1938Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam – a record that still stands.
- 1940In Mexico City exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramon Mercader. He dies the next day.
- 1950Korean War: United Nations repel an offensive by North Korean divisions attempting to cross the Naktong River and assault the city of Taegu.
- 1988Peru becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1988The Troubles: Eight British Army soldiers are killed and 28 wounded when their bus is hit by a Provisional Irish Republican Army roadside bomb in Northern Ireland (see Ballygawley bus bombing).
- 1991Dissolution of the Soviet Union, August Coup: more than 100,000 people rally outside the Soviet Union’s parliament building protesting the coup aiming to depose President Mikhail Gorbachev.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1887Phan Khoi, Vietnamese intellectual (d. 1959)
- 1897Tarjei Vesaas, Norwegian writer (d. 1970)
- 1918Jacqueline Susann, American novelist (d. 1974)
- 1937Jim Bowen, English comedian
- 1944Rajiv Gandhi, Prime Minister of India (d. 1991)
- 1949Norman Featherstone, South African cricketer
- 1954Tawn Mastrey, American disc jockey (d. 2007)
- 1955Agnes Chan, Hong Kong singer and writer
- 1963Uwe Bialon, German footballer
- 1979Haha, South Korean entertainer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.