August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2021 is the 232nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IHIAMNII? Check your answers here: Word search IHIAMNII. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1775The Spanish establish the Presidio San Augustin del Tucson in the town that became Tucson, Arizona.
- 1920The National Football League, (NFL), is founded in the United States.
- 1926Japan’s public broadcasting company, Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai (NHK) is established.
- 1940British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line “Never was so much owed by so many to so few”.
- 1950Korean War: United Nations repel an offensive by North Korean divisions attempting to cross the Naktong River and assault the city of Taegu.
- 1977Voyager Program: NASA launches the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
- 1988“Black Saturday” of the Yellowstone fire in Yellowstone National Park
- 1988Peru becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1988The Troubles: Eight British Army soldiers are killed and 28 wounded when their bus is hit by a Provisional Irish Republican Army roadside bomb in Northern Ireland (see Ballygawley bus bombing).
- 1997Souhane massacre in Algeria; over 60 people are killed and 15 kidnapped.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1935Ron Paul, US Congressman, 1988, 2008, and 2012 presidential candidate
- 1941Rich Brooks, American football coach
- 1943Sylvester McCoy, Scottish actor
- 1948John Noble, Australian actor
- 1949Alan Hardwick, English TV presenter
- 1953Gerry Bertier, American wheelchair Olympian (d. 1981)
- 1957Finlay Calder, Scottish rugby player
- 1973Todd Helton, American baseball player
- 1977Mayra Veronica, Cuban model and actress
- 1981Ben Barnes, English actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.