August 20: Day of the Week
August 20, 2021 is the 232nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 133 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UBHUZJE? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters UBHUZJE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 20 Historical Event(s)
- 20Agrippa Postumus, adoptive-son of the late Roman Emperor Augustus, is executed by his guards while in exile under mysterious circumstances
- 1083Canonization of the first King of Hungary, Saint Stephen and his son Saint Emeric.
- 1391Konrad von Wallenrode becomes the 24th Hochmeister of the Teutonic Order.
- 1882Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture debuts in Moscow.
- 1914World War I: German forces occupy Brussels.
- 1940British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line “Never was so much owed by so many to so few”.
- 1955In Morocco, a force of Berbers from the Atlas Mountains region of Algeria raid two rural settlements and kill 77 French nationals.
- 1991Estonia, annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, issues a decision on the re-establishment of independence on the basis of historical continuity of her pre-World War II statehood.
- 1997Souhane massacre in Algeria; over 60 people are killed and 15 kidnapped.
- 1998The Supreme Court of Canada rules that Quebec cannot legally secede from Canada without the federal government’s approval.
Who were born on August 20?
- 1517Antoine Perrenot de Granvelle, French church leader (d. 1586)
- 1890H. P. Lovecraft, American writer (d. 1937)
- 1905Jack Teagarden, American musician (d. 1964)
- 1923Jim Reeves, US country music singer (d. 1964)
- 1941Dave Brock, British musician and founder of Hawkwind
- 1941Jo Ramirez, Mexican motor racing team manager and author
- 1946Connie Chung, American journalist
- 1967Terri Poch, American yogini and professional wrestler
- 1979Haha, South Korean entertainer
- 1990Ranomi Kromowidjojo, Dutch swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.