August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2019 was the 234th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Rosie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1798French troops land in Kilcummin harbour, County Mayo, Ireland to aid Wolfe Tone’s United Irishmen’s Irish Rebellion.
- 1851The first America’s Cup is won by the yacht America.
- 1914World War I: in Belgium, British and German troops clash for the first time in the war.
- 1941World War II: German troops reach Leningrad, leading to the siege of Leningrad.
- 1966Labor movements NFWA and AWOC merge to become the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee (UFWOC), predecessor of the United Farm Workers.
- 1972Rhodesia is expelled by the IOC for its racist policies.
- 1989The first ring of Neptune is discovered.
- 1996Bill Clinton signs welfare reform into law, representing major shift in US welfare policy
- 2006Pulkovo Aviation Enterprise Flight 612 crashes near the Russian border over eastern Ukraine, killing all 170 people on board.
- 2007The Storm botnet, a botnet created by the Storm Worm, sends out a record 57 million e-mails in one day
Who were born on August 22?
- 1800Samuel David Luzzatto, Italian-Jewish scholar (d. 1865)
- 1845William Lewis Douglas, 42nd Governor of Massachusetts (d. 1924)
- 1925James Kirkwood, Jr., American playwright and author (d. 1989)
- 1942Uğur Mumcu, Turkish journalist and writer (d. 1993)
- 1944Peter Hofmann, Czech-born German operatic tenor (d. 2010)
- 1950Ray Burris, American baseball player
- 1957Steve Davis, English snooker player
- 1965Chen Liping, Singaporean actress
- 1970Giada De Laurentiis, Italian-born American chef and television host
- 1972Paul Doucette, American drummer (Matchbox 20)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.