August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2017 was the 234th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1639Madras (now Chennai), India, is founded by the British East India Company on a sliver of land bought from local Nayak rulers.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British forces abandon the Siege of Fort Stanwix after hearing rumors of Continental Army reinforcements.
- 1827José de La Mar becomes President of Peru.
- 1902Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to ride in an automobile.
- 1932The BBC first experiments with television broadcasting. (See also Timeline of the BBC.)
- 1941World War II: German troops reach Leningrad, leading to the siege of Leningrad.
- 1944World War II: Romania is captured by the Soviet Union.
- 1949Queen Charlotte earthquake: Canada’s largest earthquake since the 1700 Cascadia earthquake
- 1962The NS Savannah, the world’s first nuclear-powered cargo ship, completes its maiden voyage.
- 2004A version of The Scream and Madonna, two paintings by Edvard Munch, are stolen at gunpoint from a museum in Oslo, Norway.
Who were born on August 22?
- 1827Ezra Butler Eddy, Canadian businessman, industrialist and politician (d. 1906)
- 1909Mel Hein, American football player (d. 1992)
- 1913Leonard Pagliero, British stationer (d. 2008)
- 1957Steve Davis, English snooker player
- 1960Holger Gehrke, German footballer
- 1961Andres Calamaro, Argentine musician
- 1974Brimstone, American professional wrestler
- 1976Randy Wolf, American baseball player
- 1977Heiðar Helguson, Icelandic footballer
- 1983Theo Bos, Dutch cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.