August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2019 is the 234th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1485The Battle of Bosworth Field, the death of Richard III and the end of the House of Plantagenet.
- 1717Spanish troops land on Sardinia.
- 1798French troops land in Kilcummin harbour, County Mayo, Ireland to aid Wolfe Tone’s United Irishmen’s Irish Rebellion.
- 1902Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to ride in an automobile.
- 1942World War II: Brazil declares war on Germany and Italy.
- 1949Queen Charlotte earthquake: Canada’s largest earthquake since the 1700 Cascadia earthquake
- 1963American Joe Walker in an X-15 test plane reaches an altitude of 106 km.
- 1966Labor movements NFWA and AWOC merge to become the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee (UFWOC), predecessor of the United Farm Workers.
- 1985Manchester Air Disaster sees 55 people killed when a fire breaks out on a commercial aircraft at Manchester Airport.
- 1996Bill Clinton signs welfare reform into law, representing major shift in US welfare policy
Who were born on August 22?
- 1771Henry Maudslay, English inventor (d. 1831)
- 1932Gerald P. Carr, American astronaut
- 1950Lewis Libby, American White House Chief of Staff for George W. Bush
- 1960Holger Gehrke, German footballer
- 1961Debbi Peterson, American musician (The Bangles)
- 1967Layne Staley, American musician (Alice in Chains) (d. 2002)
- 1973Kristen Wiig, American comedian
- 1974Agustín Pichot, Argentine rugby player
- 1975Rodrigo Santoro, Brazilian actor
- 1983Laura Breckenridge, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.