August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2021 was the 234th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters CNAGSAZGNO? Check your answers here: Unscramble words CNAGSAZGNO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 392Arbogast has Eugenius elected Western Roman Emperor.
- 565St. Columba reports seeing a monster in Loch Ness, Scotland.
- 1485The Battle of Bosworth Field, the death of Richard III and the end of the House of Plantagenet.
- 1831Nat Turner’s slave rebellion commences just after midnight in Southampton, Virginia, leading to the deaths of more than 50 whites and several hundred African Americans who are killed in retaliation for the uprising.
- 1849The first air raid in history. Austria launches pilotless balloons against the city of Venice.
- 1944World War II: Holocaust of Kedros in Crete by German forces
- 1950Althea Gibson becomes the first black competitor in international tennis.
- 1952The penal colony on Devil’s Island is permanently closed.
- 2003Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore is suspended after refusing to comply with a federal court order to remove a rock inscribed with the Ten Commandments from the lobby of the Alabama Supreme Court building.
- 2006Pulkovo Aviation Enterprise Flight 612 crashes near the Russian border over eastern Ukraine, killing all 170 people on board.
Who were born on August 22?
- 1895László Almásy, Hungarian aristocrat and aviator (d. 1951)
- 1935E. Annie Proulx, American author
- 1938Paul Maguire, American football commentator
- 1939Valerie Harper, American actress
- 1959Pia Gjellerup, Danish politician
- 1967Layne Staley, American musician (Alice in Chains) (d. 2002)
- 1968Horst Skoff, Austrian tennis player (d. 2008)
- 1971Richard Armitage, English actor
- 1972Steve Kline, American baseball player
- 1973Howie Dorough, American singer (Backstreet Boys)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.