August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2021 is the 234th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters VXYZUAFUTR? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters VXYZUAFUTR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1780James Cook’s ship HMS Resolution returns to England (Cook having been killed on Hawaii during the voyage).
- 1827José de La Mar becomes President of Peru.
- 1831Nat Turner’s slave rebellion commences just after midnight in Southampton, Virginia, leading to the deaths of more than 50 whites and several hundred African Americans who are killed in retaliation for the uprising.
- 1941World War II: German troops reach Leningrad, leading to the siege of Leningrad.
- 1942World War II: Brazil declares war on Germany and Italy.
- 1944World War II: Romania is captured by the Soviet Union.
- 1961Ida Siekmann died attempting to cross the Berlin Wall.
- 1966Labor movements NFWA and AWOC merge to become the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee (UFWOC), predecessor of the United Farm Workers.
- 1971J. Edgar Hoover and John Mitchell announce the arrest of 20 of the Camden 28.
- 1985Manchester Air Disaster sees 55 people killed when a fire breaks out on a commercial aircraft at Manchester Airport.
Who were born on August 22?
- 1800William S. Harney, U.S. general (d. 1889)
- 1848Melville E. Stone, American newspaper publisher (d. 1929)
- 1867Maximilian Bircher-Benner, Swiss physician and nutritionist (d. 1939)
- 1880Gorch Fock, German author and poet (d. 1916)
- 1912John Lee Hooker, American musician (d. 2001)
- 1920Denton Cooley, American heart surgeon
- 1944Peter Hofmann, Czech-born German operatic tenor (d. 2010)
- 1966GZA, American rapper
- 1966Rob Witschge, Dutch footballer
- 1986Keiko Kitagawa, Japanese actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.