August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2018 was the 234th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1639Madras (now Chennai), India, is founded by the British East India Company on a sliver of land bought from local Nayak rulers.
- 1770James Cook names and lands on Possession Island, Queensland and claims the east coast of Australia as New South Wales in the name of King George III.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British forces abandon the Siege of Fort Stanwix after hearing rumors of Continental Army reinforcements.
- 1902Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to ride in an automobile.
- 1944World War II: Holocaust of Kedros in Crete by German forces
- 1963American Joe Walker in an X-15 test plane reaches an altitude of 106 km.
- 1972Rhodesia is expelled by the IOC for its racist policies.
- 1992FBI HRT sniper Lon Horiuchi shoots and kills Vicki Weaver during an 11-day siege at her home at Ruby Ridge, Idaho.
- 2003Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore is suspended after refusing to comply with a federal court order to remove a rock inscribed with the Ten Commandments from the lobby of the Alabama Supreme Court building.
- 2006Pulkovo Aviation Enterprise Flight 612 crashes near the Russian border over eastern Ukraine, killing all 170 people on board.
Who were born on August 22?
- 1822Virginia Clemm Poe, wife of Edgar Allan Poe (d. 1847)
- 1836Archibald MacNeal Willard, American artist (d. 1918)
- 1857Ned Hanlon, American baseball player and manager (d. 1937)
- 1891Jacques Lipchitz, Lithuanian/American sculptor (d. 1973)
- 1909Lucille Ricksen, American actress (d. 1925)
- 1966Rob Witschge, Dutch footballer
- 1967Alfred Gough, American screenwriter
- 1980Nicolas Macrozonaris, French-Canadian track-and-field athlete
- 1981Alex Holmes, American football player
- 1985Joshua Samuel Fatu, American wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.