August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2019 was the 234th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jesus’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British forces abandon the Siege of Fort Stanwix after hearing rumors of Continental Army reinforcements.
- 1780James Cook’s ship HMS Resolution returns to England (Cook having been killed on Hawaii during the voyage).
- 1827José de La Mar becomes President of Peru.
- 1942World War II: Brazil declares war on Germany and Italy.
- 1949Queen Charlotte earthquake: Canada’s largest earthquake since the 1700 Cascadia earthquake
- 1952The penal colony on Devil’s Island is permanently closed.
- 1978The Frente Sandinista de Liberacion or FSLN occupies national palace in Nicaragua.
- 1985Manchester Air Disaster sees 55 people killed when a fire breaks out on a commercial aircraft at Manchester Airport.
- 1992FBI HRT sniper Lon Horiuchi shoots and kills Vicki Weaver during an 11-day siege at her home at Ruby Ridge, Idaho.
- 2007The Texas Rangers rout the Baltimore Orioles 30–3, the most runs scored by a team in modern MLB history.
Who were born on August 22?
- 1647Denis Papin, French physicist and inventor (d. c. 1712)
- 1764Charles Percier, French architect (d. 1838)
- 1836Archibald MacNeal Willard, American artist (d. 1918)
- 1873Alexander Bogdanov, Russian physician and philosopher (d. 1928)
- 1912John Lee Hooker, American musician (d. 2001)
- 1915Hugh Paddick, British actor (d. 2000)
- 1952Peter Laughner, American musician (Rocket From the Tombs, Pere Ubu) (d. 1977)
- 1959Pia Gjellerup, Danish politician
- 1967Ant, American comedian
- 1983Laura Breckenridge, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.