August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2023 was the 234th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jordan’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 851Battle of Jengland: Erispoe defeats Charles the Bald near the Breton town of Jengland.
- 1654Jacob Barsimson arrives in New Amsterdam. He is the first known Jewish immigrant to America.
- 1780James Cook’s ship HMS Resolution returns to England (Cook having been killed on Hawaii during the voyage).
- 1848The United States annexes New Mexico.
- 1914World War I: in Belgium, British and German troops clash for the first time in the war.
- 1932The BBC first experiments with television broadcasting. (See also Timeline of the BBC.)
- 1934Bill Woodfull of Australia becomes the only cricket captain to twice regain The Ashes.
- 1962An attempt to assassinate French president Charles de Gaulle fails.
- 1971J. Edgar Hoover and John Mitchell announce the arrest of 20 of the Camden 28.
- 1992FBI HRT sniper Lon Horiuchi shoots and kills Vicki Weaver during an 11-day siege at her home at Ruby Ridge, Idaho.
Who were born on August 22?
- 1880Gorch Fock, German author and poet (d. 1916)
- 1921Dinos Dimopoulos, Greek film director and screenwriter (d. 2003)
- 1947Cindy Williams, American actress
- 1958Colm Feore, American actor
- 1964Mats Wilander, Swedish tennis player
- 1968Paul Colman, Australian guitarist (Newsboys)
- 1972Max Wilson, Brazilian racing driver
- 1972Steve Kline, American baseball player
- 1977Jenna Leigh Green, American actress
- 1985Joshua Samuel Fatu, American wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.