August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2020 is the 235th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Caitlyn’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1770James Cook names and lands on Possession Island, Queensland and claims the east coast of Australia as New South Wales in the name of King George III.
- 1780James Cook’s ship HMS Resolution returns to England (Cook having been killed on Hawaii during the voyage).
- 186412 nations sign the First Geneva Convention. The Red Cross is formed.
- 1875The Treaty of Saint Petersburg between Japan and Russia is ratified, providing for the exchange of Sakhalin for the Kuril Islands.
- 1902Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to ride in an automobile.
- 1962The NS Savannah, the world’s first nuclear-powered cargo ship, completes its maiden voyage.
- 1966Labor movements NFWA and AWOC merge to become the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee (UFWOC), predecessor of the United Farm Workers.
- 1968Pope Paul VI arrives in Bogotá, Colombia. It is the first visit of a pope to Latin America.
- 1992FBI HRT sniper Lon Horiuchi shoots and kills Vicki Weaver during an 11-day siege at her home at Ruby Ridge, Idaho.
- 1996Bill Clinton signs welfare reform into law, representing major shift in US welfare policy
Who were born on August 22?
- 1862Claude Debussy, French composer (d. 1918)
- 1895László Almásy, Hungarian aristocrat and aviator (d. 1951)
- 1908Henri Cartier-Bresson, French photographer (d. 2004)
- 1936Werner Stengel, German roller coaster designer and engineer
- 1947Cindy Williams, American actress
- 1951Chandra Prakash Mainali, Nepalese politician
- 1956Paul Molitor, baseball player
- 1978Ed Petrie, British television presenter
- 1979Matt Walters, American football player
- 1985Jonathan Solofa Fatu, American wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.