August 22: Day of the Week
August 22, 2021 is the 234th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 131 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZUYGSMUEZR? Check your answers here: Word search ZUYGSMUEZR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 22 Historical Event(s)
- 565St. Columba reports seeing a monster in Loch Ness, Scotland.
- 1791Beginning of the Haitian Slave Revolution in Saint-Domingue.
- 1848The United States annexes New Mexico.
- 186412 nations sign the First Geneva Convention. The Red Cross is formed.
- 1922Michael Collins, Commander-in-Chief of the Irish Free State Army is shot dead during an Anti-Treaty ambush at Béal na mBláth, County Cork, during the Irish Civil War.
- 1932The BBC first experiments with television broadcasting. (See also Timeline of the BBC.)
- 1961Ida Siekmann died attempting to cross the Berlin Wall.
- 1962The NS Savannah, the world’s first nuclear-powered cargo ship, completes its maiden voyage.
- 1985Manchester Air Disaster sees 55 people killed when a fire breaks out on a commercial aircraft at Manchester Airport.
- 1989Nolan Ryan strikes out Rickey Henderson to become the first Major League Baseball pitcher to record 5,000 strikeouts.
Who were born on August 22?
- 1893Wilfred Kitching, British Salvation Army general (d. 1977)
- 1904Deng Xiaoping, Chinese statesman (d. 1997)
- 1908Henri Cartier-Bresson, French photographer (d. 2004)
- 1939Carl Yastrzemski, American baseball player
- 1953Paul Ellering, American wrestling manager
- 1956Paul Molitor, baseball player
- 1964Mats Wilander, Swedish tennis player
- 1978Jeff Stinco, Canadian musician (Simple Plan)
- 1983Theo Bos, Dutch cyclist
- 1987Leonardo Moracci, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.