August 24: Day of the Week
August 24, 2019 is the 236th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 129 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1816The Treaty of St. Louis is signed in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1821The Treaty of Córdoba is signed in Córdoba, now in Veracruz, Mexico, concluding the Mexican War of Independence from Spain.
- 1870The Wolseley Expedition reaches Manitoba to end the Red River Rebellion.
- 1891Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera.
- 1933The Crescent Limited train derails in Washington, D.C., after the bridge it is crossing is washed out by the 1933 Chesapeake–Potomac hurricane.
- 1936The Australian Antarctic Territory is created.
- 1967Led by Abbie Hoffman, the Youth International Party temporarily disrupts trading at the NYSE by throwing dollar bills from the viewing gallery, causing trading to cease as brokers scramble to grab them.
- 1981Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for murdering John Lennon.
- 1991Ukraine declares itself independent from the Soviet Union.
- 2004Eighty-nine passengers die after two airliners explode after flying out of Domodedovo International Airport, near Moscow. The explosions are caused by suicide bombers (reportedly female) from the Russian Republic of Chechnya.
Who were born on August 24?
- 1198King Alexander II of Scotland (d. 1249)
- 1923Arthur Jensen, American psychologist
- 1947Joe Manchin, American politician, governor and junior senator of West Virginia
- 1947Roger De Vlaeminck, Belgian cyclist
- 1952Linton Kwesi Johnson, Jamaican dub poet
- 1960Takashi Miike, Japanese filmmaker
- 1968Shoichi Funaki, Japanese professional wrestler
- 1978Beth Riesgraf, American actress
- 1979Orlando Engelaar, Dutch footballer
- 1983Marcel Goc, German ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.