August 24: Day of the Week
August 24, 2020 was the 237th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 129 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JEEEDJVSA? Check your answers here: Word solver JEEEDJVSA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 24 Historical Event(s)
- 79Mount Vesuvius erupts. The cities of Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Stabiae are buried in volcanic ash (note: this traditional date has been challenged, and many scholars believe that the event occurred on October 24).
- 410The Visigoths under king Alaric I begin to pillage Rome.
- 1200King John of England, signee of the first Magna Carta, marries Isabella of Angouleme in Bordeaux Cathedral.
- 1391Jews are massacred in Palma de Mallorca.
- 1814British troops invade Washington, D.C. and burn down the White House and several other buildings.
- 1875Captain Matthew Webb became first person to swim the English Channel
- 1963Don Schollander swims the 200-metre freestyle in less than 2 minutes for the first time, in a world record time of 1:58.
- 1981Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for murdering John Lennon.
- 1989Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose is banned from baseball for gambling by Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti.
- 1998First RFID human implantation tested in the United Kingdom.
Who were born on August 24?
- 1578John Taylor, English poet (d. 1653)
- 1919Enrique Llanes, Mexican professional wrestler (d. 2004)
- 1922René Lévesque, Premier of Quebec (d. 1987)
- 1936A. S. Byatt, English novelist
- 1960Takashi Miike, Japanese filmmaker
- 1964Dana Gould, American comedian and writer
- 1971Pierfrancesco Favino, Italian actor
- 1973Carmine Giovinazzo, American actor
- 1979Orlando Engelaar, Dutch footballer
- 1980Sonja Bennett, Canadian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.