August 24: Day of the Week
August 24, 2020 was the 237th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 129 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AAKWGAKRICIRL? Check your answers here: Word finder AAKWGAKRICIRL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 24 Historical Event(s)
- 49 BCJulius Caesar’s general Gaius Scribonius Curio is defeated in the Second Battle of the Bagradas River by the Numidians under Publius Attius Varus and King Juba of Numidia. Curio commits suicide to avoid capture.
- 1690Job Charnock of the East India Company establishes a factory in Calcutta, an event formerly considered the founding of the city (in 2003 the Calcutta High Court ruled that the city has no birthday).
- 1820Constitutionalist insurrection at Oporto, Portugal.
- 1870The Wolseley Expedition reaches Manitoba to end the Red River Rebellion.
- 1898Count Muravyov, Foreign Minister of Russia presents a rescript that convoked the First Hague Peace Conference.
- 1909Workers start pouring concrete for the Panama Canal.
- 1937In the Spanish Civil War, the Basque Army surrenders to the Italian Corpo Truppe Volontarie following the Santoña Agreement.
- 1954Getúlio Dornelles Vargas, president of Brazil, commits suicide and is succeeded by João Café Filho.
- 1981Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for murdering John Lennon.
- 1991Ukraine declares itself independent from the Soviet Union.
Who were born on August 24?
- 1113Geoffrey of Anjou, Count of Anjou (d. 1151)
- 1578John Taylor, English poet (d. 1653)
- 1845James C. Calhoun, American soldier, brother-in-law of George Armstrong Custer (d. 1876)
- 1901Preston Foster, American actor (d. 1970)
- 1922Howard Zinn, American historian and activist (d. 2010)
- 1944Gregory Jarvis, American astronaut (d. 1986)
- 1967Michael Thomas, English footballer
- 1978Derek Morris, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1979Orlando Engelaar, Dutch footballer
- 1983Marcel Goc, German ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.