August 26: Day of the Week
August 26, 2023 was the 238th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 127 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GYKHOUAXOWXX? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters GYKHOUAXOWXX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1278Ladislaus IV of Hungary and Rudolph I of Germany defeat Premysl Ottokar II of Bohemia in the Battle of Marchfield near Dürnkrut in (then) Moravia.
- 1429Joan of Arc makes a triumphant entry into Paris.
- 1778The first recorded ascent of Triglav, the highest mountain in Slovenia.
- 1789The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen is approved by the National Constituent Assembly of France.
- 1791John Fitch is granted a United States patent for the steamboat.
- 1810The former viceroy Santiago de Liniers is executed after the defeat of his counter-revolution.
- 1813War of the Sixth Coalition: An impromptu battle takes place when French and Prussian-Russian forces accidentally run into each other near Liegnitz, Prussia (now Legnica, Poland).
- 1957The USSR announces the successful test of an ICBM – a “super long distance intercontinental multistage ballistic rocket . . . a few days ago,” according to the Soviet news agency, ITAR-TASS.
- 1966The Namibian War of Independence starts with the battle at Omugulugwombashe.
- 1999Russia begins the Second Chechen War in response to the Invasion of Dagestan by the Islamic International Peacekeeping Brigade.
Who were born on August 26?
- 1880Guillaume Apollinaire, French poet and art critic (d. 1918)
- 1921Shimshon Amitsur, Israeli mathematician and Israel Prize recipient (d. 1994)
- 1925Sangharakshita, Indian religious figure
- 1945Jo Freeman, American feminist scholar
- 1956Brett Cullen, American actor
- 1966Shirley Manson, Scottish singer
- 1976Zemfira, Russian singer
- 1981Jesse Martin, Australian yachtsman
- 1983Félix Porteiro, Spanish racing driver
- 1985Brandon McDonald, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.