August 26: Day of the Week
August 26, 2020 is the 239th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 127 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Caleb’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1444Battle of St. Jakob an der Birs: A vastly outnumbered force of Swiss Confederates is defeated by the Dauphin Louis (future Louis XI of France) and his army of ‘Armagnacs’near Basel.
- 1466A conspiracy against Piero di Cosimo de' Medici in Florence, led by Luca Pitti, is discovered.
- 1768Captain James Cook sets sail from England on board HMS Endeavour.
- 1778The first recorded ascent of Triglav, the highest mountain in Slovenia.
- 1789The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen is approved by the National Constituent Assembly of France.
- 1810The former viceroy Santiago de Liniers is executed after the defeat of his counter-revolution.
- 1821The University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, is oficially opened.
- 1957The USSR announces the successful test of an ICBM – a “super long distance intercontinental multistage ballistic rocket . . . a few days ago,” according to the Soviet news agency, ITAR-TASS.
- 1966The Namibian War of Independence starts with the battle at Omugulugwombashe.
- 1970The then new feminist movement, led by Betty Friedan, leads a nation-wide Women’s Strike for Equality.
Who were born on August 26?
- 1676Sir Robert Walpole, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1745)
- 1740Joseph-Michel Montgolfier, French inventor (d. 1810)
- 1865Arthur James Arnot, Scottish inventor (d. 1946)
- 1885Jules Romains, French author (d. 1972)
- 1920Prem Tinsulanonda, Thai soldier and politician
- 1924Alex Kellner, American baseball player (d. 1996)
- 1930Joe Solomon, West Indian cricketer
- 1947Nicolae Dobrin, Romanian footballer (d. 2007)
- 1953Pat Sharkey, Irish footballer
- 1963Stephen Dubner, American journalist, author
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.