August 30: Day of the Week
August 30, 2021 was the 242nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 123 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OPVZWQUMOR? Check your answers here: Unscramble words OPVZWQUMOR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 30 Historical Event(s)
- 1363Beginning date of the Battle of Lake Poyang; the forces of two Chinese rebel leaders — Chen Youliang and Zhu Yuanzhang — are pitted against each other in what is one of the largest naval battles in history, during the last decade of the ailing, Mongol-led Yuan Dynasty.
- 1590Tokugawa Ieyasu enters Edo Castle. (Traditional Japanese date: August 1, 1590)
- 1835Melbourne, Australia is founded.
- 1909Burgess Shale fossils are discovered by Charles Doolittle Walcott.
- 1914World War I: Germans defeat the Russians in the Battle of Tannenberg
- 1942World War II: the Battle of Alam Halfa begins.
- 1956The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway opens.
- 1963The Hotline between the leaders of the U.S.A. and the Soviet Union goes into operation.
- 1967Thurgood Marshall is confirmed as the first African American Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 1974A powerful bomb explodes at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries headquarters in Marunouchi, Tokyo, Japan. 8 are killed, 378 are injured. Eight left-wing activists are arrested on May 19, 1975 by Japanese authorities.
Who were born on August 30?
- 1797Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, English writer (d. 1851)
- 1901John Gunther, American writer (d. 1970)
- 1917Denis Healey, British politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- 1926Daryl Gates, American police chief (d. 2010)
- 1927Bill Daily, American actor
- 1928Lloyd Casner, American racecar driver and owner (d. 1965)
- 1946Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
- 1949Don Boudria, Canadian politician
- 1978Sinead Kerr, Irish figure skater
- 1985Éva Risztov, Hungarian swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.