August 30: Day of the Week
August 30, 2020 is the 243rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 123 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Blake’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 30 Historical Event(s)
- 1791HMS Pandora sinks after having run aground on a reef the previous day.
- 1813Battle of Kulm: French forces are defeated by an Austrian-Prussian-Russian alliance.
- 1835Melbourne, Australia is founded.
- 1918Fanny Kaplan shoots and seriously injures Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin. This, along with the assassination of Bolshevik senior official Moisei Uritsky days earlier, prompts the decree for Red Terror.
- 1945The Allied Control Council, governing Germany after World War II, comes into being.
- 1945The Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, General Douglas MacArthur lands at Atsugi Air Force Base.
- 1967Thurgood Marshall is confirmed as the first African American Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 1981President Mohammad-Ali Rajai and Prime Minister Mohammad-Javad Bahonar of Iran are assassinated in a bombing committed by the People’s Mujahedin of Iran.
- 1984STS-41-D: The Space Shuttle Discovery takes off on its maiden voyage.
- 1995NATO launches Operation Deliberate Force against Bosnian Serb forces.
Who were born on August 30?
- 1919Wolfgang Wagner, German opera director (d. 2010)
- 1930Warren Buffett, American entrepreneur
- 1931John Leonard “Jack” Swigert, Jr., American astronaut (d. 1982)
- 1943Jean-Claude Killy, French skier
- 1943Robert Crumb, American cartoonist
- 1962Alexander Litvinenko, Russian KGB officer (d. 2006)
- 1966Michael Michele, American actress
- 1972Cameron Diaz, American actress
- 1985Éva Risztov, Hungarian swimmer
- 1985Eamon Sullivan, Australian swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.