August 31: Day of the Week
August 31, 2020 was the 244th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 122 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EULSZUJZBSAN? Check your answers here: Word finder EULSZUJZBSAN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1056After a sudden illness a few days previous, Byzantine Empress Theodora dies without children to succeed the throne, thus ending the Macedonian dynasty.
- 1945The Liberal Party of Australia is founded by Robert Menzies.
- 1949The retreat of the Democratic Army of Greece in Albania after its defeat on Gramos mountain marks the end of the Greek Civil War.
- 1958A parcel bomb sent by Ngo Dinh Nhu, younger brother and chief adviser of South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem, fails to kill King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia.
- 1980After two weeks of nationwide strikes, the Polish government was forced to sign the Gdańsk Agreement, allowing for the creation of the trade union Solidarity.
- 1982Anti-government demonstrations are held in 66 Polish cities to commemorate the second anniversary of the Gdańsk Agreement.
- 1986Aeroméxico Flight 498 collides with a Piper PA-28 over Cerritos, California, killing 67 in the air and 15 on the ground.
- 1986The Soviet passenger liner Ship sinks in the Black Sea after colliding with the bulk carrier Pyotr Vasev, killing 423.
- 1991Kyrgyzstan declares its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 2006Stolen on August 22, 2004, Edvard Munch’s famous painting The Scream is recovered in a raid by Norwegian police.
Who were born on August 31?
- 1652Ferdinand Charles, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat (d. 1708)
- 1907William Shawn, American editor (d. 1992)
- 1918Alan Jay Lerner, American lyricist (d. 1986)
- 1945Van Morrison, Northern Irish singer-songwriter
- 1956Maria Balazova, Slovak painter
- 1957Gina Schock, American drummer (The Go-Go’s)
- 1957Glenn Tilbrook, English singer and guitarist (Squeeze)
- 1958Serge Blanco, French rugby union footballer
- 1970Deborah Gibson, American singer
- 1976Roque Júnior, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.