August 31: Day of the Week
August 31, 2020 was the 244th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 122 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LBDOEA? Check your answers here: Word scramble LBDOEA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1314King Håkon V Magnusson moves the capital of Norway from Bergen to Oslo.
- 1422King Henry V of England dies of dysentery while in France. His son, Henry VI becomes King of England at the age of 9 months.
- 1897Thomas Edison patents the Kinetoscope, the first movie projector.
- 1936Radio Prague, now the official international broadcasting station of the Czech Republic, goes on the air.
- 1940Pennsylvania Central Airlines Trip 19 crashes near Lovettsville, Virginia. The CAB investigation of the accident is the first investigation to be conducted under the Bureau of Air Commerce act of 1938.
- 1965The Aero Spacelines Super Guppy aircraft makes its first flight.
- 1992Pascal Lissouba is inaugurated as the President of the Republic of the Congo.
- 1994The Provisional Irish Republican Army declares a ceasefire.
- 1996Saddam Hussein’s troops seized Irbil after the Kurdish Masoud Barzani appealed for help to defeat his Kurdish rival PUK.
- 1999A LAPA Boeing 737-200 crashes during takeoff from Jorge Newbury Airport in Buenos Aires, killing 65, including two on the ground.
Who were born on August 31?
- 1842Josephine St. Pierre Ruffin, American publisher, journalist, suffragist and civil rights leader (d. 1924)
- 1916John S. Wold, American politician
- 1920G. D. Spradlin, American actor (d. 2011)
- 1931Jean Béliveau, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1959Ralph Krueger, Canadian ice hockey coach
- 1960Chris Whitley, American blues singer-songwriter and guitarist (d. 2005)
- 1964Raymond P. Hammond, American poet and editor
- 1970Deborah Gibson, American singer
- 1977Jeff Hardy, American wrestler
- 1980Joe Budden, American rapper
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.