August 31: Day of the Week
August 31, 2022 is the 243rd day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 122 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters FYJILAOEK? Check your answers here: Word scramble FYJILAOEK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1876Ottoman Sultan Murat V is deposed and succeeded by his brother Abd-ul-Hamid II.
- 1897Thomas Edison patents the Kinetoscope, the first movie projector.
- 1941World War II: Serbian paramilitary forces defeat Germans in the Battle of Loznica.
- 1945The Liberal Party of Australia is founded by Robert Menzies.
- 1963Sarawak, North Borneo and Singapore achieve technical independence pending accession to the Federation of Malaysia
- 1980After two weeks of nationwide strikes, the Polish government was forced to sign the Gdańsk Agreement, allowing for the creation of the trade union Solidarity.
- 1992Pascal Lissouba is inaugurated as the President of the Republic of the Congo.
- 1997Diana, Princess of Wales, her companion Dodi Al-Fayed and driver Henri Paul die in a car crash in Paris.
- 2005A stampede on Al-Aaimmah bridge in Baghdad kills 1,199 people.
- 2006Stolen on August 22, 2004, Edvard Munch’s famous painting The Scream is recovered in a raid by Norwegian police.
Who were born on August 31?
- 1822Galusha A. Grow, American politician (d. 1907)
- 1893Lily Laskine, French harpist (d. 1988)
- 1897Fredric March, American actor (d. 1975)
- 1900Gino Lucetti, Italian anarchist (d. 1943)
- 1907Augustus F. Hawkins, American politician (d. 2007)
- 1960Vali Ionescu, Romanian long jumper
- 1969Jonathan LaPaglia, Australian actor
- 1982Alexei Mikhnov, Ukrainian-born Russian ice hockey player
- 1982Lien Huyghebaert, Belgian sprinter
- 1986Feng Tianwei, Singaporean table tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.