August 4: Day of the Week
August 4, 2021 is the 216th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 149 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TOICMIWTGNOOS? Check your answers here: Word scramble TOICMIWTGNOOS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1327First War of Scottish Independence: James Douglas leads a raid into Weardale and almost kills Edward III of England.
- 1789In France members of the National Constituent Assembly take an oath to end feudalism and abandon their privileges.
- 1916World War I: Liberia declares war on Germany.
- 1964American civil rights movement: civil rights workers Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman and James Chaney are found dead in Mississippi after disappearing on June 21.
- 1965The Constitution of Cook Islands comes into force, giving the Cook Islands self-governing status within New Zealand.
- 1969Vietnam War: at the apartment of French intermediary Jean Sainteny in Paris, American representative Henry Kissinger and North Vietnamese representative Xuan Thuy begin secret peace negotiations. The negotiations will eventually fail.
- 1975The Japanese Red Army takes more than 50 hostages at the AIA Building housing several embassies in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The hostages include the U.S. consul and the Swedish chargé d’affaires. The gunmen win the release of five imprisoned comrades and fly with them to Libya.
- 1984The Republic of Upper Volta changes its name to Burkina Faso.
- 1987The Federal Communications Commission rescinds the Fairness Doctrine which had required radio and television stations to present controversial issues “fairly”.
- 1993A federal judge sentences LAPD officers Stacey Koon and Laurence Powell to 30 months in prison for violating motorist Rodney King’s civil rights.
Who were born on August 4?
- 1792Percy Bysshe Shelley, English poet (d. 1822)
- 1899Ezra Taft Benson, American religious figure (d. 1994)
- 1901Louis Armstrong, American jazz trumpeter and singer (d. 1971)
- 1930Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, Iranian Shi'a cleric
- 1942Don S. Davis, American actor and painter (d. 2008)
- 1967Timothy Adams, American actor
- 1975Daniella van Graas, Dutch model and actress
- 1976Andrew McLeod, Australian rules footballer
- 1981Marques Houston, American singer (IMx) and actor
- 1992Dylan Sprouse, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.