August 4: Day of the Week
August 4, 2019 is the 216th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 149 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1327First War of Scottish Independence: James Douglas leads a raid into Weardale and almost kills Edward III of England.
- 1532the Duchy of Brittany is annexed to the Kingdom of France.
- 1873Indian Wars: whilst protecting a railroad survey party in Montana, the United States 7th Cavalry, under Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer clashes for the first time with the Sioux near the Tongue River; only one man on each side is killed.
- 1924Diplomatic relations between Mexico and the Soviet Union are established.
- 1947The Supreme Court of Japan is established.
- 1958The Billboard Hot 100 is published for the first time.
- 1964Gulf of Tonkin Incident: U.S. destroyers USS Maddox and USS Turner Joy report coming under attack in the Gulf of Tonkin.
- 1975The Japanese Red Army takes more than 50 hostages at the AIA Building housing several embassies in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The hostages include the U.S. consul and the Swedish chargé d’affaires. The gunmen win the release of five imprisoned comrades and fly with them to Libya.
- 1984The Republic of Upper Volta changes its name to Burkina Faso.
- 1987The Federal Communications Commission rescinds the Fairness Doctrine which had required radio and television stations to present controversial issues “fairly”.
Who were born on August 4?
- 1891Margit Makay, Hungarian actress (d. 1989)
- 1908Kurt Eichhorn, German conductor (d. 1994)
- 1932Liang Congjie, Chinese environmentalist (d. 2010)
- 1948Johnny Grubb, American baseball player
- 1953Hiroyuki Usui, Japanese footballer
- 1962Paul Reynolds, British guitarist (A Flock of Seagulls)
- 1969Michael DeLuise, American actor
- 1970Bret Baier, FOX News Channel anchor
- 1973Xavier Marchand, French swimmer
- 1989Jessica Mauboy, Australian singer (Young Divas)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.