August 4: Day of the Week
August 4, 2020 is the 217th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 149 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Miles’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1327First War of Scottish Independence: James Douglas leads a raid into Weardale and almost kills Edward III of England.
- 1693Date traditionally ascribed to Dom Perignon’s invention of Champagne, although he actually did not have anything to do with sparkling wine.
- 1789In France members of the National Constituent Assembly take an oath to end feudalism and abandon their privileges.
- 1873Indian Wars: whilst protecting a railroad survey party in Montana, the United States 7th Cavalry, under Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer clashes for the first time with the Sioux near the Tongue River; only one man on each side is killed.
- 1977US President Jimmy Carter signs legislation creating the United States Department of Energy.
- 1984The Republic of Upper Volta changes its name to Burkina Faso.
- 1987The Federal Communications Commission rescinds the Fairness Doctrine which had required radio and television stations to present controversial issues “fairly”.
- 1993A federal judge sentences LAPD officers Stacey Koon and Laurence Powell to 30 months in prison for violating motorist Rodney King’s civil rights.
- 2006A massacre, is carried out by Sri Lankan government forces, killing 17 employees of the French INGO Action Against Hunger (known internationally as Action Contre la Faim, or ACF).
- 2007Airport police officer María del Luján Telpuk discovers a suitcase containing the undeclared sum of US$800,000 as it goes through an x-ray machine in Aeroparque Jorge Newbery in Buenos Aires, sparking an international scandal involving Venezuela and Argentina known as “Maletinazo”.
Who were born on August 4?
- 1915Warren Avis, American entrepreneur (d. 2007)
- 1921Maurice Richard, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2000)
- 1923Mushtaq Ahmad Yusufi, Pakistani satirical and humor writer
- 1937David Bedford, English keyboardist and composer
- 1955Alberto Gonzales, 80th U.S. Attorney General
- 1960José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, 5th Prime Minister of Spain
- 1960Tim Winton, Australian writer
- 1969Max Cavalera, Brazilian vocalist and guitarist (Sepultura, Soulfly)
- 1986Nick Augusto, Italian-American drummer (Trivium)
- 1991Lucinda Dryzek, British actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.