August 4: Day of the Week
August 4, 2018 was the 216th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 149 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1265Second Barons’ War: Battle of Evesham – the army of Prince Edward (the future king Edward I of England) defeats the forces of rebellious barons led by Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester, killing de Montfort and many of his allies.
- 1873Indian Wars: whilst protecting a railroad survey party in Montana, the United States 7th Cavalry, under Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer clashes for the first time with the Sioux near the Tongue River; only one man on each side is killed.
- 1916World War I: Liberia declares war on Germany.
- 1947The Supreme Court of Japan is established.
- 1974A bomb explodes in the Italicus Express train at San Benedetto Val di Sambro, Italy, killing 12 people and wounding 22.
- 1977US President Jimmy Carter signs legislation creating the United States Department of Energy.
- 1984The Republic of Upper Volta changes its name to Burkina Faso.
- 1987The Federal Communications Commission rescinds the Fairness Doctrine which had required radio and television stations to present controversial issues “fairly”.
- 1993A federal judge sentences LAPD officers Stacey Koon and Laurence Powell to 30 months in prison for violating motorist Rodney King’s civil rights.
- 2006A massacre, is carried out by Sri Lankan government forces, killing 17 employees of the French INGO Action Against Hunger (known internationally as Action Contre la Faim, or ACF).
Who were born on August 4?
- 1884Béla Balázs, Hungarian-Jewish film critic, writer and poet (d. 1949)
- 1909Saunders Mac Lane, American mathematician (d. 2005)
- 1921Maurice Richard, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2000)
- 1932Liang Congjie, Chinese environmentalist (d. 2010)
- 1957John Wark, Scottish footballer
- 1959Robbin Crosby, American guitarist (Ratt) (d. 2002)
- 1966Kensuke Sasaki, Japanese professional wrestler
- 1969Michael DeLuise, American actor
- 1972Stefan Brogren, Canadian actor
- 1991Thiago Cardoso, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.