August 6: Day of the Week
August 6, 2019 was the 218th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 147 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The bloody Battle of Oriskany prevents American relief of the Siege of Fort Stanwix.
- 1825Bolivia gains independence from Spain.
- 1914World War I: First Battle of the Atlantic – two days after the United Kingdom had declared war on Germany over the German invasion of Belgium, ten German U-boats leave their base in Helgoland to attack Royal Navy warships in the North Sea.
- 1917World War I: Battle of Mărăşeşti between the Romanian and German armies begins.
- 1926Harry Houdini performs his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping.
- 1926In New York City, the Warner Brothers’ Vitaphone system premieres with the movie Don Juan starring John Barrymore.
- 1945World War II: Hiroshima is devastated when the atomic bomb “Little Boy” is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1991Doi Takako, chair of the Social Democratic Party, becomes Japan’s first female speaker of the House of Representatives.
- 1991Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.
- 2008A military junta led by Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz stages a coup d'état in Mauritania, overthrowing president Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi.
Who were born on August 6?
- 1619Barbara Strozzi (baptized), Italian singer and composer (d. 1677)
- 1911Norman Gordon, South African cricketer
- 1960Dale Ellis, American basketball player
- 1962Marc Lavoine, French singer and actor
- 1965Juliane Köhler, German actress
- 1967Mike Greenberg, American sportscaster
- 1972Geri Halliwell, British singer (Spice Girls)
- 1974Alvin Williams, American basketball player
- 1974Ever Carradine, American actress
- 1982Adrianne Curry, American model and reality television personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.