August 6: Day of the Week
August 6, 2019 was the 218th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 147 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Ryan’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1284The Republic of Pisa is defeated in the Battle of Meloria by the Republic of Genoa, thus losing its naval dominance in the Mediterranean.
- 1845The Russian Geographical Society is founded in Saint Petersburg.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: the Battle of Wörth results in a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1890At Auburn Prison in New York, murderer William Kemmler becomes the first person to be executed by electric chair.
- 1915World War I: Battle of Sari Bair – the Allies mount a diversionary attack timed to coincide with a major Allied landing of reinforcements at Suvla Bay.
- 1940Estonia was illegally annexed by the Soviet Union.
- 1976Zulfikar Ali Bhutto lays the foundation stone of Port Qasim, Karachi.
- 1990Gulf War: the United Nations Security Council orders a global trade embargo against Iraq in response to Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait.
- 1991Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.
- 2008A military junta led by Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz stages a coup d'état in Mauritania, overthrowing president Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi.
Who were born on August 6?
- 1180Emperor Go-Toba of Japan (d. 1239)
- 1889George Kenney, American Air Force General (d. 1977)
- 1926Clem Labine, American baseball player (d. 2007)
- 1932Howard Hodgkin, British painter
- 1933A. G. Kripal Singh, Indian cricketer (d. 1987)
- 1934Piers Anthony, English writer
- 1967Mike Greenberg, American sportscaster
- 1971Scott Minto, English footballer
- 1975Victor Zambrano, Venezuelan baseball player
- 1980Seneca Wallace, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.