August 6: Day of the Week
August 6, 2019 is the 218th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 147 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1284The Republic of Pisa is defeated in the Battle of Meloria by the Republic of Genoa, thus losing its naval dominance in the Mediterranean.
- 1538Bogotá, Colombia, is founded by Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada.
- 1661The Treaty of The Hague is signed by Portugal and the Dutch Republic.
- 1787Sixty proof sheets of the Constitution of the United States are delivered to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.
- 1862American Civil War: the Confederate ironclad Ship CSS is scuttled on the Mississippi River after suffering damage in a battle with USS Essex near Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 1914World War I: Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria declares war on Russia.
- 1926Gertrude Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel.
- 1945World War II: Hiroshima is devastated when the atomic bomb “Little Boy” is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1965US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.
- 2008A military junta led by Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz stages a coup d'état in Mauritania, overthrowing president Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi.
Who were born on August 6?
- 1895Ernesto Lecuona, Cuban pianist and composer (d. 1963)
- 1924Samuel Bowers, American murder and Ku Klux Klan leader (d. 2006)
- 1926Elisabeth Beresford, British author and creator of The Wombles (d. 2010)
- 1926János Rózsás, Hungarian writer
- 1929Mike Elliott (saxophonist), Jamaican born ska, pop, jazz musician
- 1929Roch La Salle, Canadian politician (d. 2007)
- 1963Charles Ingram, British game show contestant
- 1965Juliane Köhler, German actress
- 1967Archbishop Alexy Bondarenko, Ukrainian-born American theologian
- 1971Piyal Wijetunge, Sri Lankan cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.