August 6: Day of the Week
August 6, 2023 is the 218th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 147 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters NAIUFPU? Check your answers here: Word finder NAIUFPU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1538Bogotá, Colombia, is founded by Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The bloody Battle of Oriskany prevents American relief of the Siege of Fort Stanwix.
- 1862American Civil War: the Confederate ironclad Ship CSS is scuttled on the Mississippi River after suffering damage in a battle with USS Essex near Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 1901Kiowa land in Oklahoma is opened for white settlement, effectively dissolving the contiguous reservation.
- 1912The Bull Moose Party meets at the Chicago Coliseum.
- 1930Judge Joseph Force Crater steps into a taxi in New York and disappears never to be seen again.
- 1942Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands becomes the first reigning queen to address a joint session of the United States Congress.
- 1945World War II: Hiroshima is devastated when the atomic bomb “Little Boy” is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1965US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.
- 1976Zulfikar Ali Bhutto lays the foundation stone of Port Qasim, Karachi.
Who were born on August 6?
- 1910Charles Crichton, British film director (d. 1999)
- 1952Vinnie Vincent, American musician (Kiss)
- 1955Rusty Magee, American composer (d. 2003)
- 1963Charles Ingram, British game show contestant
- 1964Moosie Drier, American actor and director
- 1974Bobby Petta, Dutch footballer
- 1977Leandro Amaral, Brazilian footballer
- 1977Luciano Zavagno, Argentine footballer
- 1980András Horváth, Hungarian footballer
- 2001Ty Simpkins, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.