August 6: Day of the Week
August 6, 2020 is the 219th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 147 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Irma’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1862American Civil War: the Confederate ironclad Ship CSS is scuttled on the Mississippi River after suffering damage in a battle with USS Essex near Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 1914World War I: First Battle of the Atlantic – two days after the United Kingdom had declared war on Germany over the German invasion of Belgium, ten German U-boats leave their base in Helgoland to attack Royal Navy warships in the North Sea.
- 1914World War I: Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria declares war on Russia.
- 1942Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands becomes the first reigning queen to address a joint session of the United States Congress.
- 1956After going bankrupt in 1955, the American broadcaster DuMont Television Network makes its final broadcast, a boxing match from St. Nicholas Arena in New York in the Boxing from St. Nicholas Arena series.
- 1965US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.
- 1966Braniff Airlines Flight 250 crashes in Falls City, NE killing all 42 on board.
- 1986A low-pressure system that redeveloped off the New South Wales coast dumps a record 328 millimeters (13 inches) of rain in a day on Sydney.
- 1988The Tompkins Square Park Police Riot in New York City spurs a reform of the NYPD, held responsible for the event.
- 2001Erwadi fire incident, 28 mentally ill persons tied to chain were burnt to death at a faith based institution at Erwadi, Tamil Nadu.
Who were born on August 6?
- 1644Louise de la Vallière, French mistress of Louis XIV of France (d. 1710)
- 1923Jess Collins, American artist (d. 2004)
- 1949Clarence Richard Silva, American Catholic Bishop of Honolulu
- 1951Catherine Hicks, American actress
- 1955Gregory Bryant-Bey, American convicted murderer (d. 2008)
- 1962Marc Lavoine, French singer and actor
- 1971Merrin Dungey, American actress
- 1973Max Kellerman, American sportscaster
- 1977Leandro Amaral, Brazilian footballer
- 1982Adrianne Curry, American model and reality television personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.