August 6: Day of the Week
August 6, 2019 is the 218th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 147 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The bloody Battle of Oriskany prevents American relief of the Siege of Fort Stanwix.
- 1806Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor, abdicates ending the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1825Bolivia gains independence from Spain.
- 1890At Auburn Prison in New York, murderer William Kemmler becomes the first person to be executed by electric chair.
- 1915World War I: Battle of Sari Bair – the Allies mount a diversionary attack timed to coincide with a major Allied landing of reinforcements at Suvla Bay.
- 1926In New York City, the Warner Brothers’ Vitaphone system premieres with the movie Don Juan starring John Barrymore.
- 1940Estonia was illegally annexed by the Soviet Union.
- 1988The Tompkins Square Park Police Riot in New York City spurs a reform of the NYPD, held responsible for the event.
- 1996NASA announces that the ALH 84001 meteorite, thought to originate from Mars, contains evidence of primitive life-forms.
- 2008A military junta led by Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz stages a coup d'état in Mauritania, overthrowing president Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi.
Who were born on August 6?
- 1844James Henry Greathead, British engineer (d. 1896)
- 1880Hans Moser, Austrian actor (d. 1964)
- 1926Frank Finlay, British actor
- 1934Chris Bonington, British mountaineer
- 1949Alan Campbell, Northern Irish clergyman
- 1959Rajendra Singh Indian water conservationist, Magsaysay Award (2001)
- 1960Dale Ellis, American basketball player
- 1972Geri Halliwell, British singer (Spice Girls)
- 1974Alvin Williams, American basketball player
- 1978Marisa Miller, American model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.