August 7: Day of the Week
August 7, 2019 was the 219th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 146 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 7: This Day in History
The Northern Hemisphere is considered to be halfway through its summer and the Southern Hemisphere half way through its winter on this day.
August 7 Historical Event(s)
- 322 BCBattle of Crannon between Athens and Macedon.
- 461Roman Emperor Majorian is beheaded near the river Iria in north-west Italy following his arrest and deposition by the magister militum Ricimer .
- 626The Avar and Slav armies leave the siege of Constantinople.
- 1714The Battle of Gangut: the first important victory of the Russian Navy.
- 1879The opening of the Poor Man’s Palace in Manchester.
- 1930The last confirmed lynching of blacks in the Northern United States occurs in Marion, Indiana. Two men, Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith, are killed.
- 1940World War II: Alsace Lorraine is annexed by the Third Reich.
- 1942World War II: the Battle of Guadalcanal begins – United States Marines initiate the first American offensive of the war with landings on Guadalcanal and Tulagi in the Solomon Islands.
- 1955Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, the precursor to Sony, sells its first transistor radios in Japan.
- 1974Philippe Petit performs a high wire act between the twin towers of the World Trade Center 1368 ft in the air.
Who were born on August 7?
- 1877Ulrich Salchow, Swedish figure skater (d. 1949)
- 1907Albert Kotin, American abstract painter (d. 1980)
- 1942B.J. Thomas, American singer
- 1946Ed Seykota, American commodities and futures trader
- 1949Walid Jumblatt, Lebanese political leader
- 1964John Birmingham, Australian author
- 1975Hans Matheson, Scottish Actor
- 1977Samantha Ronson, British DJ
- 1980Anomie Belle, American musician
- 1983Tina O'Brien, British actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.