August 7: Day of the Week
August 7, 2021 is the 219th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 146 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZAZHOAUU? Check your answers here: Words with these letters ZAZHOAUU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 7: This Day in History
The Northern Hemisphere is considered to be halfway through its summer and the Southern Hemisphere half way through its winter on this day.
August 7 Historical Event(s)
- 461Roman Emperor Majorian is beheaded near the river Iria in north-west Italy following his arrest and deposition by the magister militum Ricimer .
- 1427The Visconti of Milan’s fleet is destroyed by the Venetians on the Po River.
- 1890Anna Månsdotter becomes the last woman in Sweden to be executed, for the 1889 Yngsjö murder.
- 1933The Simele massacre: The Iraqi Government slaughters over 3,000 Assyrians in the village of Sumail. The day becomes known as Assyrian Martyrs Day.
- 1938The Holocaust: The building of Mauthausen concentration camp begins.
- 1944IBM dedicates the first program-controlled calculator, the Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator (known best as the Harvard Mark I).
- 1959The Lincoln Memorial design on the U.S. penny goes into circulation. It replaces the “sheaves of wheat” design, and was minted until 2008.
- 1964Vietnam War: the U.S. Congress passes the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution giving US President Lyndon B. Johnson broad war powers to deal with North Vietnamese attacks on American forces.
- 1970California judge Harold Haley is taken hostage in his courtroom and killed during in an effort to free George Jackson from police custody.
- 1985Takao Doi, Mamoru Mohri and Chiaki Mukai are chosen to be Japan’s first astronauts.
Who were born on August 7?
- 1574Robert Dudley, styled Earl of Warwick, English writer (d. 1649)
- 1868Ladislaus Bortkiewicz, Russian mathematician (d. 1931)
- 1877Ulrich Salchow, Swedish figure skater (d. 1949)
- 1913George Van Eps, American guitarist (d. 1998)
- 1942B.J. Thomas, American singer
- 1942Garrison Keillor, American writer and radio host
- 1948Greg Chappell, Australian cricketer and coach
- 1960David Duchovny, American actor
- 1961Yelena Davydova, Soviet gymnast
- 1972Greg Serano, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.