August 7: Day of the Week
August 7, 2021 is the 219th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 146 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IDUYUUNMKIQY? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters IDUYUUNMKIQY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 7: This Day in History
The Northern Hemisphere is considered to be halfway through its summer and the Southern Hemisphere half way through its winter on this day.
August 7 Historical Event(s)
- 936Coronation of King Otto I of Germany.
- 1791United States troops destroy the Miami town of Kenapacomaqua near the site of present-day Logansport, Indiana in the Northwest Indian War.
- 1819Simón Bolívar triumphs over Spain in the Battle of Boyacá.
- 1930The last confirmed lynching of blacks in the Northern United States occurs in Marion, Indiana. Two men, Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith, are killed.
- 1942World War II: the Battle of Guadalcanal begins – United States Marines initiate the first American offensive of the war with landings on Guadalcanal and Tulagi in the Solomon Islands.
- 1947Thor Heyerdahl’s balsa wood raft the Kon-Tiki, smashes into the reef at Raroia in the Tuamotu Islands after a 101-day, 7000 km journey across the Pacific Ocean in an attempt to prove that pre-historic peoples could have traveled from South America.
- 1959Explorer program: Explorer 6 launches from the Atlantic Missile Range in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1965The infamous first party between Ken Kesey’s Merry Pranksters and motorcycle gang the Hells Angels takes place at Kesey’s estate in La Honda, California introducing psychedelics to the gang world and forever linking the hippie movement to the Hell’s Angels.
- 1976Viking program: Viking 2 enters orbit around Mars.
- 1981The Washington Star ceases all operations after 128 years of publication.
Who were born on August 7?
- 1282Princess Elizabeth of Rhuddlan (d. 1316)
- 1779Carl Ritter, German geographer (d. 1859)
- 1868Ladislaus Bortkiewicz, Russian mathematician (d. 1931)
- 1901Ann Harding, American actress (d. 1981)
- 1925Felice Bryant, American country songwriter and singer (d. 2003)
- 1943Lana Cantrell, Australian-American singer and entertainment lawyer
- 1961Brian Conley, English comedian
- 1977Samantha Ronson, British DJ
- 1978Alexandre Aja, French director
- 1978Shirley Yeung, Hong Kong actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.