August 7: Day of the Week
August 7, 2019 was the 219th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 146 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Todd’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 7: This Day in History
The Northern Hemisphere is considered to be halfway through its summer and the Southern Hemisphere half way through its winter on this day.
August 7 Historical Event(s)
- 461Roman Emperor Majorian is beheaded near the river Iria in north-west Italy following his arrest and deposition by the magister militum Ricimer .
- 626The Avar and Slav armies leave the siege of Constantinople.
- 1782George Washington orders the creation of the Badge of Military Merit to honor soldiers wounded in battle. It is later renamed to the more poetic Purple Heart.
- 1879The opening of the Poor Man’s Palace in Manchester.
- 1930The last confirmed lynching of blacks in the Northern United States occurs in Marion, Indiana. Two men, Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith, are killed.
- 1938The Holocaust: The building of Mauthausen concentration camp begins.
- 1974Philippe Petit performs a high wire act between the twin towers of the World Trade Center 1368 ft in the air.
- 1978U.S. President Jimmy Carter declares a federal emergency at Love Canal due to toxic waste that had been negligently disposed of.
- 1979Several tornadoes struck the city of Woodstock, Ontario, Canada and the surrounding communities.
- 1999The Chechnya-based Islamic International Brigade invades the neighbouring Russian Republic of Dagestan.
Who were born on August 7?
- 1742Nathanael Greene, American Revolutionary general (d. 1786)
- 1925M. S. Swaminathan, Indian scientist
- 1932Abebe Bikila, Ethiopian athlete (d. 1973)
- 1948Marty Appel, American public relations executive and author
- 1963Harold Perrineau Jr., American actor
- 1977Charlotte Ronson, British fashion designer
- 1978Jamey Jasta, American singer (Hatebreed)
- 1978Vanness Wu, Taiwanese singer
- 1980Tácio, Brazilian footballer
- 1986Paul Biedermann, German swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.