August 7: Day of the Week
August 7, 2019 is the 219th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 146 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 7: This Day in History
The Northern Hemisphere is considered to be halfway through its summer and the Southern Hemisphere half way through its winter on this day.
August 7 Historical Event(s)
- 461Roman Emperor Majorian is beheaded near the river Iria in north-west Italy following his arrest and deposition by the magister militum Ricimer .
- 1427The Visconti of Milan’s fleet is destroyed by the Venetians on the Po River.
- 1461The Ming Dynasty Chinese military general Cao Qin stages a coup against the Tianshun Emperor.
- 1782George Washington orders the creation of the Badge of Military Merit to honor soldiers wounded in battle. It is later renamed to the more poetic Purple Heart.
- 1819Simón Bolívar triumphs over Spain in the Battle of Boyacá.
- 1933The Simele massacre: The Iraqi Government slaughters over 3,000 Assyrians in the village of Sumail. The day becomes known as Assyrian Martyrs Day.
- 1942World War II: the Battle of Guadalcanal begins – United States Marines initiate the first American offensive of the war with landings on Guadalcanal and Tulagi in the Solomon Islands.
- 1959The Lincoln Memorial design on the U.S. penny goes into circulation. It replaces the “sheaves of wheat” design, and was minted until 2008.
- 1974Philippe Petit performs a high wire act between the twin towers of the World Trade Center 1368 ft in the air.
- 1978U.S. President Jimmy Carter declares a federal emergency at Love Canal due to toxic waste that had been negligently disposed of.
Who were born on August 7?
- 1927Edwin W. Edwards, American politician
- 1928James Randi, Canadian-American magician
- 1937Don Wilson, England cricketer
- 1942B.J. Thomas, American singer
- 1957Caroline Aaron, American actress
- 1969Paul Lambert, Scottish Footballer and Manager
- 1972Greg Serano, American actor
- 1974Chico Benymon, American actor
- 1977Samantha Ronson, British DJ
- 1979Birgit Zotz, Austrian writer and anthropologist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.