August 7: Day of the Week
August 7, 2021 was the 219th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 146 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GJWUXAODE? Check your answers here: Word search GJWUXAODE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 7: This Day in History
The Northern Hemisphere is considered to be halfway through its summer and the Southern Hemisphere half way through its winter on this day.
August 7 Historical Event(s)
- 1420Construction of the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore begins in Florence.
- 1714The Battle of Gangut: the first important victory of the Russian Navy.
- 1791United States troops destroy the Miami town of Kenapacomaqua near the site of present-day Logansport, Indiana in the Northwest Indian War.
- 1819Simón Bolívar triumphs over Spain in the Battle of Boyacá.
- 1944IBM dedicates the first program-controlled calculator, the Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator (known best as the Harvard Mark I).
- 1947The Bombay Municipal Corporation formally takes over the Bombay Electric Supply and Transport (BEST).
- 1947Thor Heyerdahl’s balsa wood raft the Kon-Tiki, smashes into the reef at Raroia in the Tuamotu Islands after a 101-day, 7000 km journey across the Pacific Ocean in an attempt to prove that pre-historic peoples could have traveled from South America.
- 1965The infamous first party between Ken Kesey’s Merry Pranksters and motorcycle gang the Hells Angels takes place at Kesey’s estate in La Honda, California introducing psychedelics to the gang world and forever linking the hippie movement to the Hell’s Angels.
- 1978U.S. President Jimmy Carter declares a federal emergency at Love Canal due to toxic waste that had been negligently disposed of.
- 1998The United States embassy bombings in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya kill approximately 212 people.
Who were born on August 7?
- 1560Elizabeth Báthory, Hungarian countess and serial killer (d. 1614)
- 1844Auguste Michel-Lévy, French geologist (d. 1911)
- 1867Emil Nolde, German painter (d. 1956)
- 1877Ulrich Salchow, Swedish figure skater (d. 1949)
- 1879Johannes Kotze, South African cricketer (d. 1931)
- 1884Billie Burke, American actress (d. 1970)
- 1945Alan Page, American football player and Minnesota Supreme Court justice
- 1982Marco Melandri, Italian motorcycle racer
- 1982Yana Klochkova, Ukrainian swimmer
- 1987Rouven Sattelmaier, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.