August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2020 is the 221st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jacob’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1220Sweden is defeated by Estonian tribes in the Battle of Lihula.
- 1585John Davis enters Cumberland Sound in search of the Northwest Passage.
- 1709Bartolomeu de Gusmão demonstrates the lifting power of hot air in an audience before the King of Portugal in Lisbon
- 1918World War I: the Battle of Amiens begins a string of almost continuous victories with a push through the German front lines (Hundred Days Offensive).
- 1960South Kasai secedes from the Congo.
- 1963Great Train Robbery: in England, a gang of 15 train robbers steal 2.6 million pounds in bank notes.
- 1967The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is founded by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- 1988The “8888 Uprising” occurs in Burma.
- 2007An EF2 tornado touches down in Kings County and Richmond County, New York State, the most powerful tornado in New York to date and the first in Brooklyn since 1889.
- 2011London Riot 2011. This took place between 6th August 2011 and 10th August 2011. between the 6th and 7th a peaceful march in Tottenham, London was followed by rioting and looting, first in Tottenham.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1879Emiliano Zapata, Mexican revolutionary (d. 1919)
- 1889Jack Ryder, Australian cricketer (d. 1977)
- 1935Donald P. Bellisario, American television producer
- 1938Jacques Hétu, French Canadian composer
- 1944Michael Johnson, American pop, country and folk singer-songwriter and guitarist
- 1967Rena Mero, American wrestler
- 1970Trev Alberts, American football player
- 1985Toby Flood, English Rugby Union player
- 1989Hannah Miley, British swimmer
- 1995Malin Reitan, Norwegian singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.