August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2020 is the 221st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jodi’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1220Sweden is defeated by Estonian tribes in the Battle of Lihula.
- 1576The cornerstone for Tycho Brahe’s Uraniborg observatory is laid on Hven.
- 1647The Irish Confederate Wars and Wars of the Three Kingdoms: Battle of Dungans Hill – English Parliamentary forces defeat Irish forces.
- 1709Bartolomeu de Gusmão demonstrates the lifting power of hot air in an audience before the King of Portugal in Lisbon
- 1863American Civil War: following his defeat in the Battle of Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee sends a letter of resignation to Confederate President Jefferson Davis (which is refused upon receipt).
- 1908Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- 1967The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is founded by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- 1988The “8888 Uprising” occurs in Burma.
- 1990Iraq occupies Kuwait and the state is annexed to Iraq. This would lead to the Gulf War shortly afterward.
- 1991The Warsaw radio mast, at one time the tallest construction ever built, collapses.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1908Arthur Goldberg, U.S. Supreme Court justice (d. 1990)
- 1932Mel Tillis, American singer
- 1946James W. Lewis, American convicted extortionist
- 1947Terangi Adam, Nauruan politician
- 1952Anton Fig, South African musician
- 1952Doug Melvin, Canadian Major League Baseball executive
- 1961Rikki Rockett, American drummer (Poison)
- 1965Aaron Abeyta, American musician
- 1967Lee Unkrich, American director and film editor
- 1973Toby Allen, Australian singer (Human Nature)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.