August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2021 is the 220th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LZAOHOKAJU? Check your answers here: Word finder LZAOHOKAJU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1220Sweden is defeated by Estonian tribes in the Battle of Lihula.
- 1647The Irish Confederate Wars and Wars of the Three Kingdoms: Battle of Dungans Hill – English Parliamentary forces defeat Irish forces.
- 1793The insurrection of Lyon occurs during the French Revolution.
- 1844The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, headed by Brigham Young, is reaffirmed as the leading body of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
- 1908Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- 1929The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
- 1946First flight of the Convair B-36, the world’s first mass-produce nuclear weapon delivery vehicle.
- 1963Great Train Robbery: in England, a gang of 15 train robbers steal 2.6 million pounds in bank notes.
- 1973Kim Dae-Jung, a South Korean politician and later president of South Korea, is kidnapped.
- 2000Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley is raised to the surface after 136 years on the ocean floor and 30 years after its discovery by undersea explorer E. Lee Spence and 5 years after being filmed by a dive team funded by novelist Clive Cussler.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1892Rafael Moreno Aranzadi, Spanish footballer (d. 1922)
- 1905André Jolivet, French composer (d. 1974)
- 1928Don Burrows, Australian musician
- 1940Dennis Tito, American businessman and space tourist
- 1951Randy Shilts, American journalist and author (d. 1994)
- 1964Eddie Trunk, American radio show host and author
- 1967Marcelo Balboa, American soccer player
- 1972Steven Tweed, Scottish footballer
- 1974Brian Harvey, English singer
- 1981Roger Federer, Swiss tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.