August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2019 was the 220th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Cesar’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1576The cornerstone for Tycho Brahe’s Uraniborg observatory is laid on Hven.
- 1786Mont Blanc on the French – Italian border is climbed for the first time by Jacques Balmat and Dr Michel-Gabriel Paccard.
- 1870The Republic of Ploieşti, a failed Radical-Liberal rising against Domnitor Carol of Romania.
- 1918World War I: the Battle of Amiens begins a string of almost continuous victories with a push through the German front lines (Hundred Days Offensive).
- 1929The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
- 1945World War II: The Soviet Union declares war on Japan and begins the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation.
- 1967The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is founded by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- 1990Iraq occupies Kuwait and the state is annexed to Iraq. This would lead to the Gulf War shortly afterward.
- 1991The Warsaw radio mast, at one time the tallest construction ever built, collapses.
- 20082008 Summer Olympics took place from the 8th August 2008-24th August 2008. The official opening ceremony started at 8:00pm on 8th August 2008. The number 8 is associated with prosperity and confidence in Chinese Culture and here it was a triple eight for the date and one extra for time (close to 08:08:08 pm). There were 28 sports and 302 events at the games. There were 43 new world records and 132 new Olympic records set at the 2008 Summer Olympics. An unprecedented 86 countries won at least one medal during the Games.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1857Cécile Chaminade, French pianist and composer (d. 1944)
- 1880Earle Page, Australian politician (d. 1961)
- 1910Sylvia Sidney, American actress (d. 1999)
- 1915James “Jumbo” Elliott, American track coach (d. 1981)
- 1932Luis García Meza Tejada, Bolivian dictator
- 1952Jostein Gaarder, Norwegian author
- 1977Kurt Bernard, Costa Rican footballer
- 1978Countess Vaughn, American actress and singer
- 1980Denisse Guerrero, Mexican Singer (Belanova)
- 1988Danilo Gallinari, Italian basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.