August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2020 is the 221st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Ruth’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1605The city of Oulu, Finland, is founded by Charles IX of Sweden.
- 1863American Civil War: following his defeat in the Battle of Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee sends a letter of resignation to Confederate President Jefferson Davis (which is refused upon receipt).
- 1876Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph.
- 1908Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- 1929The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
- 1946First flight of the Convair B-36, the world’s first mass-produce nuclear weapon delivery vehicle.
- 1960South Kasai secedes from the Congo.
- 1991The Warsaw radio mast, at one time the tallest construction ever built, collapses.
- 2000Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley is raised to the surface after 136 years on the ocean floor and 30 years after its discovery by undersea explorer E. Lee Spence and 5 years after being filmed by a dive team funded by novelist Clive Cussler.
- 20102010 China floods: A mudslide in Zhugqu County, Gansu, China, kills more than 1,400 people.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1079Emperor Horikawa of Japan (d. 1107)
- 1881Paul Ludwig Ewald von Kleist, German field marshal (d. 1954)
- 1910Sylvia Sidney, American actress (d. 1999)
- 1922Károly Reich, Hungarian illustrator (d. 1988)
- 1932Luis García Meza Tejada, Bolivian dictator
- 1933Serena Wilson, American belly dancer (d. 2007)
- 1940Dilip Sardesai, Indian cricketer (d. 2007)
- 1965Aaron Abeyta, American musician
- 1974Brian Harvey, English singer
- 1978Alan Maybury, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.