August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2020 was the 221st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UGTIGXTWE? Check your answers here: Word finder UGTIGXTWE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1220Sweden is defeated by Estonian tribes in the Battle of Lihula.
- 1863American Civil War: following his defeat in the Battle of Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee sends a letter of resignation to Confederate President Jefferson Davis (which is refused upon receipt).
- 1876Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph.
- 1908Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- 1918World War I: the Battle of Amiens begins a string of almost continuous victories with a push through the German front lines (Hundred Days Offensive).
- 1929The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
- 1942Quit India Movement is launched in India against the British rule in response to Mahatma Gandhi’s call for swaraj or complete independence.
- 1945World War II: The Soviet Union declares war on Japan and begins the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation.
- 1960South Kasai secedes from the Congo.
- 2011London Riot 2011. This took place between 6th August 2011 and 10th August 2011. between the 6th and 7th a peaceful march in Tottenham, London was followed by rioting and looting, first in Tottenham.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1673John Ker, Scottish spy (d. 1726)
- 1925Alija Izetbegović, Bosniak politician (d. 2003)
- 1928Don Burrows, Australian musician
- 1930Jerry Tarkanian, American basketball coach
- 1936Keith Barron, English actor
- 1961Rikki Rockett, American drummer (Poison)
- 1977Lindsay Sloane, American actress
- 1981Kaori Iida, Japanese singer and actress
- 1984Kirk Broadfoot, Scottish footballer
- 1986Kateryna Bondarenko, Ukrainian tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.