August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2021 is the 220th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AQJAYYJKVE? Check your answers here: Word scramble AQJAYYJKVE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1585John Davis enters Cumberland Sound in search of the Northwest Passage.
- 1588Anglo-Spanish War: Battle of Gravelines – The naval engagement ends, ending the Spanish Armada’s attempt to invade England.
- 1793The insurrection of Lyon occurs during the French Revolution.
- 1863American Civil War: following his defeat in the Battle of Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee sends a letter of resignation to Confederate President Jefferson Davis (which is refused upon receipt).
- 1929The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
- 1942Quit India Movement is launched in India against the British rule in response to Mahatma Gandhi’s call for swaraj or complete independence.
- 1946First flight of the Convair B-36, the world’s first mass-produce nuclear weapon delivery vehicle.
- 1963Great Train Robbery: in England, a gang of 15 train robbers steal 2.6 million pounds in bank notes.
- 1990Iraq occupies Kuwait and the state is annexed to Iraq. This would lead to the Gulf War shortly afterward.
- 2011London Riot 2011. This took place between 6th August 2011 and 10th August 2011. between the 6th and 7th a peaceful march in Tottenham, London was followed by rioting and looting, first in Tottenham.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1518Conrad Lycosthenes, French-born German humanist and encyclopedist (d. 1561)
- 1925Alija Izetbegović, Bosniak politician (d. 2003)
- 1938Connie Stevens, American singer and actress
- 1956Cecilia Roth, Argentine actress
- 1967Lee Unkrich, American director and film editor
- 1969Faye Wong, Hong Kong singer and actress
- 1969Yvie Burnett, British television vocal coach
- 1976Drew Lachey, American singer
- 1985Toby Flood, English Rugby Union player
- 1988Danilo Gallinari, Italian basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.