August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2019 is the 220th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1503King James IV of Scotland marries Margaret Tudor, daughter of King Henry VII of England at Holyrood Abbey, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 1585John Davis enters Cumberland Sound in search of the Northwest Passage.
- 1709Bartolomeu de Gusmão demonstrates the lifting power of hot air in an audience before the King of Portugal in Lisbon
- 1793The insurrection of Lyon occurs during the French Revolution.
- 1844The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, headed by Brigham Young, is reaffirmed as the leading body of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
- 1876Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph.
- 1908Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- 1946First flight of the Convair B-36, the world’s first mass-produce nuclear weapon delivery vehicle.
- 1963Great Train Robbery: in England, a gang of 15 train robbers steal 2.6 million pounds in bank notes.
- 20082008 Summer Olympics took place from the 8th August 2008-24th August 2008. The official opening ceremony started at 8:00pm on 8th August 2008. The number 8 is associated with prosperity and confidence in Chinese Culture and here it was a triple eight for the date and one extra for time (close to 08:08:08 pm). There were 28 sports and 302 events at the games. There were 43 new world records and 132 new Olympic records set at the 2008 Summer Olympics. An unprecedented 86 countries won at least one medal during the Games.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1720Carl Fredrik Pechlin, Swedish politician (d. 1796)
- 1911Rosetta LeNoire, American actress (d. 2002)
- 1930Terry Nation, Welsh novelist and screenwriter (d. 1997)
- 1946James W. Lewis, American convicted extortionist
- 1947Terangi Adam, Nauruan politician
- 1961Bruce Matthews, American football player
- 1967Eric Angle, American wrestler
- 1976Drew Lachey, American singer
- 1977Kurt Bernard, Costa Rican footballer
- 1978Alan Maybury, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.