August 8: Day of the Week
August 8, 2019 was the 220th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 145 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1585John Davis enters Cumberland Sound in search of the Northwest Passage.
- 1786Mont Blanc on the French – Italian border is climbed for the first time by Jacques Balmat and Dr Michel-Gabriel Paccard.
- 1870The Republic of Ploieşti, a failed Radical-Liberal rising against Domnitor Carol of Romania.
- 1876Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph.
- 1929The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
- 1940The “Aufbau Ost” directive is signed by Wilhelm Keitel.
- 1945World War II: The Soviet Union declares war on Japan and begins the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation.
- 1946First flight of the Convair B-36, the world’s first mass-produce nuclear weapon delivery vehicle.
- 1988The “8888 Uprising” occurs in Burma.
- 1991The Warsaw radio mast, at one time the tallest construction ever built, collapses.
Who were born on August 8?
- 1694Francis Hutcheson, Irish philosopher (d. 1746)
- 1839Nelson Miles, American general (d. 1925)
- 1921John Herbert Chapman, British physicist (d. 1979)
- 1921Vulimiri Ramalingaswami, Indian medical scientist (d. 2001)
- 1933Serena Wilson, American belly dancer (d. 2007)
- 1951Randy Shilts, American journalist and author (d. 1994)
- 1955Herbert Prohaska, Austrian footballer
- 1956David Grant, English singer and vocal coach
- 1967Lee Unkrich, American director and film editor
- 1980Craig Breslow, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.