August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2020 is the 222nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Donald’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1173Construction of the campanile of the cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins; it will take two centuries to complete.
- 1854Henry David Thoreau published Walden.
- 1892Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- 1907The first Boy Scout encampment concludes at Brownsea Island in southern England.
- 1930Betty Boop made her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1936Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games becoming the first American to win four medals in one Olympiad.
- 1944Continuation war: The Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive, the largest offensive launched by Soviet Union against Finland during the Second World War, ends to a strategic stalemate. Both Finnish and Soviet troops at the Finnish front dug to defensive positions, and the front remains stable until the end of the war.
- 1971The Troubles: The British security forces in Northern Ireland launch Operation Demetrius. Hundreds of people are arrested and interned, thousands are displaced, and twenty are killed in the violence that followed.
- 1974As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
- 1993The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan loses a 38-year hold on national leadership.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1593Izaak Walton, English angler (d. 1683)
- 1867Evelina Haverfield British suffragette (d. 1920)
- 1875Albert Ketèlbey, English conductor, composer, and pianist (d. 1959)
- 1921Ernest Angley, American televangelist
- 1928Bob Cousy, American basketball player
- 1938Leonid Kuchma, Ukrainian politician
- 1957Melanie Griffith, American actress
- 1980Texas Battle, American actor
- 1985Hayley Peirsol, American swimmer
- 1986Tyler “Telle” Smith, American musician (The Word Alive)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.