August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2021 is the 221st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OWOYOOYB? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OWOYOOYB. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 681Bulgaria is founded as a Khanate on the south bank of the Danube after defeating the Byzantine armies of Emperor Constantine IV south of the Danube delta.
- 1173Construction of the campanile of the cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins; it will take two centuries to complete.
- 1329Quilon, the first Indian Christian Diocese, is erected by Pope John XXII; the French-born Jordanus is appointed the first Bishop.
- 1814Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1930Betty Boop made her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1936Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games becoming the first American to win four medals in one Olympiad.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Savo Island – Allied naval forces protecting their amphibious forces during the initial stages of the Battle of Guadalcanal are surprised and defeated by an Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser force.
- 1974As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
- 1988Wayne Gretzky is traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings in one of the most controversial player transactions in hockey history, upsetting many Canadians.
- 1999Russian President Boris Yeltsin fires his Prime Minister, Sergei Stepashin, and for the fourth time fires his entire cabinet.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1754Pierre Charles L'Enfant, French architect, planner of Washington, D.C. (d. 1825)
- 1845André Bessette, Canadian religious figure (d. 1937)
- 1901Charles Farrell, American actor (d. 1990)
- 1909Adam von Trott zu Solz, German diplomat (d. 1944)
- 1925David A. Huffman, American computer scientist (d. 1999)
- 1949Ted Simmons, American baseball player
- 1973Filippo Inzaghi, Italian footballer
- 1980Ryu Seung-beom, South Korean actor
- 1986Tyler “Telle” Smith, American musician (The Word Alive)
- 1991Hansika Motwani, Indian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.