August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2018 was the 221st day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 48 BCCaesar’s civil war: Battle of Pharsalus – Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt.
- 681Bulgaria is founded as a Khanate on the south bank of the Danube after defeating the Byzantine armies of Emperor Constantine IV south of the Danube delta.
- 1329Quilon, the first Indian Christian Diocese, is erected by Pope John XXII; the French-born Jordanus is appointed the first Bishop.
- 1810Napoleon annexes Westphalia as part of the First French Empire.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Cedar Mountain – At Cedar Mountain, Virginia, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson narrowly defeats Union forces under General John Pope.
- 1877Indian Wars: Battle of Big Hole – A small band of Nez Percé Indians clash with the United States Army
- 1945World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- 1965A fire at a Titan missile base near Searcy, Arkansas kills 53 construction workers.
- 1971The Troubles: The British security forces in Northern Ireland launch Operation Demetrius. Hundreds of people are arrested and interned, thousands are displaced, and twenty are killed in the violence that followed.
- 1974As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1648Johann Michael Bach, German composer (d. 1694)
- 1669Tsarina Eudoxia Lopukhina of Russia (d. 1731)
- 1788Adoniram Judson, American Baptist missionary (d. 1850)
- 1909V. K. Gokak, Indian Kannada writer (d. 1992)
- 1911Eddie Futch, American boxing trainer (d. 2001)
- 1932John Gomery, Canadian jurist
- 1939Romano Prodi, Italian politician and statesman
- 1971James Kim, American technology reporter (d. 2006)
- 1974Stephen Fung, Hong Kong actor and director
- 1976Aled Jones, British Radio Producer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.