August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2020 was the 222nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IUOFCAHGCJVV? Check your answers here: Word finder IUOFCAHGCJVV. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1842The Webster-Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States-Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- 1854Henry David Thoreau published Walden.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Cedar Mountain – At Cedar Mountain, Virginia, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson narrowly defeats Union forces under General John Pope.
- 1892Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- 1902Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1925A train robbery takes place in Kakori, near Lucknow, India
- 1945World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- 1969Members of a cult led by Charles Manson brutally murder pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of Roman Polanski), coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish actor Wojciech Frykowski, men’s hairstylist Jay Sebring and recent high-school graduate Steven Parent.
- 1974As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
- 1993The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan loses a 38-year hold on national leadership.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1201Arnold Fitz Thedmar, English chronicler (d. 1274)
- 1754Pierre Charles L'Enfant, French architect, planner of Washington, D.C. (d. 1825)
- 1909Adam von Trott zu Solz, German diplomat (d. 1944)
- 1928Dolores Wilson, American opera singer (d. 2010)
- 1936Julián Javier, American baseball player
- 1939Romano Prodi, Italian politician and statesman
- 1966Vinny Del Negro, American basketball player and head coach
- 1974Derek Fisher, American basketball player
- 1974Nicola Stapleton, English actress
- 1981Li Jiawei, Singaporean table tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.