August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2019 was the 221st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Micah’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 681Bulgaria is founded as a Khanate on the south bank of the Danube after defeating the Byzantine armies of Emperor Constantine IV south of the Danube delta.
- 1483Opening of the Sistine Chapel in Rome with the celebration of a Mass.
- 1810Napoleon annexes Westphalia as part of the First French Empire.
- 1854Henry David Thoreau published Walden.
- 1907The first Boy Scout encampment concludes at Brownsea Island in southern England.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Savo Island – Allied naval forces protecting their amphibious forces during the initial stages of the Battle of Guadalcanal are surprised and defeated by an Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser force.
- 1944Continuation war: The Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive, the largest offensive launched by Soviet Union against Finland during the Second World War, ends to a strategic stalemate. Both Finnish and Soviet troops at the Finnish front dug to defensive positions, and the front remains stable until the end of the war.
- 1945World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- 1965Singapore is expelled from Malaysia and becomes the first and only country to date to gain independence unwillingly.
- 1969Members of a cult led by Charles Manson brutally murder pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of Roman Polanski), coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish actor Wojciech Frykowski, men’s hairstylist Jay Sebring and recent high-school graduate Steven Parent.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1776Amedeo Avogadro, Italian chemist (d. 1856)
- 1901Charles Farrell, American actor (d. 1990)
- 1920Francis Lynch, American state legislator (d. 1993)
- 1939Bulle Ogier, French actress
- 1942David Steinberg, Canadian comedian
- 1961Brad Gilbert, American tennis player
- 1974Matt Morris, American baseball player
- 1976Mark Priestley, Australian actor (d. 2008)
- 1976Rhona Mitra, English actress
- 1991Candela Vetrano, Argentine actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.