August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2019 is the 221st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 681Bulgaria is founded as a Khanate on the south bank of the Danube after defeating the Byzantine armies of Emperor Constantine IV south of the Danube delta.
- 1173Construction of the campanile of the cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins; it will take two centuries to complete.
- 1814Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1877Indian Wars: Battle of Big Hole – A small band of Nez Percé Indians clash with the United States Army
- 1942Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces, launching the Quit India Movement.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Savo Island – Allied naval forces protecting their amphibious forces during the initial stages of the Battle of Guadalcanal are surprised and defeated by an Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser force.
- 1944The United States Forest Service and the Wartime Advertising Council release posters featuring Smokey Bear for the first time.
- 1965A fire at a Titan missile base near Searcy, Arkansas kills 53 construction workers.
- 1971The Troubles: The British security forces in Northern Ireland launch Operation Demetrius. Hundreds of people are arrested and interned, thousands are displaced, and twenty are killed in the violence that followed.
- 1993The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan loses a 38-year hold on national leadership.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1544Bogislaw XIII, Duke of Pomerania (d. 1606)
- 1783Grand Duchess Alexandra Pavlovna of Russia (d. 1801)
- 1872Archduke Joseph August of Austria, Austrian field marshal (d. 1962)
- 1874Reynaldo Hahn, Venezuelan composer and conductor (d. 1947)
- 1909V. K. Gokak, Indian Kannada writer (d. 1992)
- 1927Daniel Keyes, American author
- 1941Way Bandy, American make-up artist (d. 1986)
- 1944Sam Elliott, American actor
- 1974Mahesh Babu, Indian film actor
- 1984Paul Gallagher, Scottish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.