August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2020 is the 222nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Richard’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 378Gothic War: Battle of Adrianople – A large Roman army led by Emperor Valens is defeated by the Visigoths in present-day Turkey. Valens is killed along with over half of his army.
- 1814Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1842The Webster-Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States-Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- 1902Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1930Betty Boop made her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1942Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces, launching the Quit India Movement.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Savo Island – Allied naval forces protecting their amphibious forces during the initial stages of the Battle of Guadalcanal are surprised and defeated by an Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser force.
- 1965Singapore is expelled from Malaysia and becomes the first and only country to date to gain independence unwillingly.
- 1974As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
- 1993The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan loses a 38-year hold on national leadership.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1603Johannes Cocceius, German-born Dutch theologian (d. 1669)
- 1631John Dryden, English Poet Laureate (d. 1700)
- 1669Tsarina Eudoxia Lopukhina of Russia (d. 1731)
- 1914Ferenc Fricsay, Hungarian conductor (d. 1963)
- 1939Romano Prodi, Italian politician and statesman
- 1945Posy Simmonds, English cartoonist
- 1951Steve Swisher, American baseball player
- 1971James Kim, American technology reporter (d. 2006)
- 1983Alicja Smietana, Polish violinist
- 1989Stefano Okaka, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.