August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2020 is the 222nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Daisy’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1483Opening of the Sistine Chapel in Rome with the celebration of a Mass.
- 1814Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1842The Webster-Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States-Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- 1854Henry David Thoreau published Walden.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Cedar Mountain – At Cedar Mountain, Virginia, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson narrowly defeats Union forces under General John Pope.
- 1902Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1936Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games becoming the first American to win four medals in one Olympiad.
- 1944The United States Forest Service and the Wartime Advertising Council release posters featuring Smokey Bear for the first time.
- 1945World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- 1969Members of a cult led by Charles Manson brutally murder pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of Roman Polanski), coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish actor Wojciech Frykowski, men’s hairstylist Jay Sebring and recent high-school graduate Steven Parent.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1669Tsarina Eudoxia Lopukhina of Russia (d. 1731)
- 1845André Bessette, Canadian religious figure (d. 1937)
- 1914Ferenc Fricsay, Hungarian conductor (d. 1963)
- 1920Francis Lynch, American state legislator (d. 1993)
- 1939Romano Prodi, Italian politician and statesman
- 1948Bill Campbell, American baseball player
- 1954Ray Jennings, South African cricketer and coach
- 1970Chris Cuomo, American TV journalist
- 1980Texas Battle, American actor
- 1983Ashley Johnson, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.