August 9: Day of the Week
August 9, 2019 was the 221st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 144 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1329Quilon, the first Indian Christian Diocese, is erected by Pope John XXII; the French-born Jordanus is appointed the first Bishop.
- 1877Indian Wars: Battle of Big Hole – A small band of Nez Percé Indians clash with the United States Army
- 1892Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- 1930Betty Boop made her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Savo Island – Allied naval forces protecting their amphibious forces during the initial stages of the Battle of Guadalcanal are surprised and defeated by an Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser force.
- 1965A fire at a Titan missile base near Searcy, Arkansas kills 53 construction workers.
- 1988Wayne Gretzky is traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings in one of the most controversial player transactions in hockey history, upsetting many Canadians.
- 1993The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan loses a 38-year hold on national leadership.
- 1999Russian President Boris Yeltsin fires his Prime Minister, Sergei Stepashin, and for the fourth time fires his entire cabinet.
- 2006At least 21 suspected terrorists were arrested in the 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot that happened in the United Kingdom. The arrests were made in London, Birmingham, and High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, in an overnight operation.
Who were born on August 9?
- 1537Francesco Barozzi, Italian mathematician, astronomer and humanist (d. 1604)
- 1872Archduke Joseph August of Austria, Austrian field marshal (d. 1962)
- 1933Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, Japanese television personality and children’s author
- 1939Romano Prodi, Italian politician and statesman
- 1941Way Bandy, American make-up artist (d. 1986)
- 1942Tommie Agee, American baseball player (d. 2001)
- 1944Sam Elliott, American actor
- 1971Mack 10, American rapper
- 1974Stephen Fung, Hong Kong actor and director
- 1983Ashley Johnson, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.