December 1: Day of the Week
December 1, 2021 is the 335th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 30 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZPOICI? Check your answers here: Unscramble words ZPOICI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1824United States presidential election, 1824: Since no candidate received a majority of the total electoral college votes in the election, the United States House of Representatives is given the task of deciding the winner in accordance with the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- 1865Shaw University, the first historically black university in the southern United States, is founded in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 1913The Buenos Aires Subway, the first underground railway system in the southern hemisphere and in Latin America, begins operation.
- 1919Lady Astor becomes the first female Member of Parliament to take her seat in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom (she had been elected to that position on November 28).
- 1959Cold War: Opening date for signature of the Antarctic Treaty, which sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve and bans military activity on the continent.
- 1964Vietnam War: U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson and his top-ranking advisers meet to discuss plans to bomb North Vietnam.
- 1969The first legislation to limit aircraft noise levels at airports is introduced in U.S. Federal Air Regulation, Part 36.
- 1971Cambodian Civil War: Khmer Rouge rebels intensify assaults on Cambodian government positions, forcing their retreat from Kompong Thmar and nearby Ba Ray.
- 1971The Indian Army recaptures part of Kashmir occupied forcibly by Pakistan.
- 1991Cold War: Ukrainian voters overwhelmingly approve a referendum for independence from the Soviet Union.
Who were born on December 1?
- 1895Henry Williamson, English author (d. 1977)
- 1922Paul Picerni, American actor (d. 2011)
- 1939Lee Trevino, American golfer
- 1945Bette Midler, American actress and singer
- 1948Tom Wright, English bishop and theologian
- 1951Treat Williams, American actor
- 1961Jeremy Northam, English actor
- 1970Kirk Rueter, American baseball player
- 1976Laura Ling, American journalist
- 1987Brett Williams, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.