December 1: Day of the Week
December 1, 2020 is the 336th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 30 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UIEQDGODGNVYO? Check your answers here: Unscramble words UIEQDGODGNVYO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1420Henry V of England enters Paris.
- 1824United States presidential election, 1824: Since no candidate received a majority of the total electoral college votes in the election, the United States House of Representatives is given the task of deciding the winner in accordance with the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- 1865Shaw University, the first historically black university in the southern United States, is founded in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 1913The Ford Motor Company introduces the first moving assembly line.
- 1918Transylvania unites with Romania, following the incorporation of Bessarabia (March 27) and Bukovina (November 28), thus concluding the Great Union.
- 1941Pacific War: Emperor Hirohito of Japan gave the final approval to initiate war against the United States.
- 1955American Civil Rights Movement: In Montgomery, Alabama, seamstress Rosa Parks refuses to give up her bus seat to a white man and is arrested for violating the city’s racial segregation laws, an incident which leads to the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- 1971Cambodian Civil War: Khmer Rouge rebels intensify assaults on Cambodian government positions, forcing their retreat from Kompong Thmar and nearby Ba Ray.
- 1981A Yugoslavian Inex Adria Aviopromet DC-9 crashes in Corsica killing all 180 people on board.
- 1984NASA conducts the Controlled Impact Demonstration, wherein an airliner was deliberately crashed in order to test technologies and gather data to help improve survivability of airplane crashes.
Who were born on December 1?
- 1895Henry Williamson, English author (d. 1977)
- 1896Georgy Zhukov, Russian general & Marshal of the Soviet Union (d. 1974)
- 1926Colin Tennant, 3rd Baron Glenconner, Scottish noble (d. 2010)
- 1945Bette Midler, American actress and singer
- 1946Gilbert O'Sullivan, Irish singer
- 1958Javier Aguirre, Mexican footballer and coach
- 1968Justin Chadwick, British actor and director
- 1971Melanie Peres, Israeli singer, actress and model
- 1975Matt Fraction, American comic book writer
- 1979Angelique Bates, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.