December 1: Day of the Week
December 1, 2020 is the 336th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 30 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Debbie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
December 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1640End of the Iberian Union: Portugal acclaims as King João IV of Portugal, ending 60 years of personal union of the crowns of Portugal and Spain and the end of the rule of the House of Habsburg (also called the Philippine Dynasty).
- 1824United States presidential election, 1824: Since no candidate received a majority of the total electoral college votes in the election, the United States House of Representatives is given the task of deciding the winner in accordance with the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- 1834Slavery is abolished in the Cape Colony in accordance with the Slavery Abolition Act 1833.
- 1959Cold War: Opening date for signature of the Antarctic Treaty, which sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve and bans military activity on the continent.
- 1964Vietnam War: U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson and his top-ranking advisers meet to discuss plans to bomb North Vietnam.
- 1966The first Gävle goat, an annual Swedish Yule Goat tradition, is first erected in Gävle.
- 1969Vietnam War: The first draft lottery in the United States is held since World War II.
- 1974Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 6231, crashes northwest of John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- 1988Benazir Bhutto is appointed Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- 2009The Treaty of Lisbon, which amends the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Community, which together comprise the constitutional basis of European Union, comes into effect.
Who were born on December 1?
- 1766Nikolai Mikhailovich Karamzin, Russian writer (d. 1826)
- 1896Georgy Zhukov, Russian general & Marshal of the Soviet Union (d. 1974)
- 1911Calvin Griffith, Canadian-born baseball executive (d. 1999)
- 1937Chuck Low, American actor
- 1958Javier Aguirre, Mexican footballer and coach
- 1960Jane Turner, Australian actress/comedian
- 1967Reggie Sanders, American baseball player
- 1970Jouko Ahola, Finnish strongman
- 1975Sophia Skou, Danish swimmer
- 1980Mohammad Kaif, Indian cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.