December 11: Day of the Week
December 11, 2023 is the 345th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 20 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alexander’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
December 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1789The University of North Carolina is chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly.
- 1816Indiana becomes the 19th U.S. state.
- 1927Guangzhou Uprising: Communist militia and worker Red Guards launch an uprising in the Chinese city of Guangzhou, taking over most of the city and announcing the formation of a Guangzhou Soviet.
- 1941World War II: Germany and Italy declare war on the United States, following the Americans’ declaration of war on Japan in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The United States, in turn, declares war on Germany and Italy.
- 1960French forces crack down in a violent clash with protesters in French Algeria during a visit by French president Charles de Gaulle.
- 1962Arthur Lucas, convicted of murder, is the last person to be executed in Canada.
- 1972Apollo 17 becomes the sixth and last Apollo mission to land on the Moon.
- 1994A bomb explodes on Philippine Airlines Flight 434, en route from Manila to Tokyo, killing one. The captain is able to safely land the plane.
- 1998Thai Airways Flight 261 crashes near Surat Thani Airport, killing 101. The pilot flying the Thai Airways Airbus A310-300 is thought to have suffered spatial disorientation.
- 2001The People’s Republic of China joins the World Trade Organization.
Who were born on December 11?
- 1475Pope Leo X (d. 1521)
- 1680Emanuele d'Astorga, Italian composer (d. 1736)
- 1712Francesco Algarotti, Italian philosopher (d. 1764)
- 1930Jean-Louis Trintignant, French actor
- 1932Anne Heywood, English actress
- 1935Ron Carey, American actor (d. 2007)
- 1964Justin Currie, Scottish singer and songwriter
- 1967Mo'Nique, American actress/comedienne
- 1969Sean Grande, American sportscaster
- 1987Natalia Gordienko, Moldovan singer and dancer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.