December 16: Day of the Week
December 16, 2023 is the 350th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 15 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AGFIBMUEILLL? Check your answers here: Word search AGFIBMUEILLL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
December 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1761Seven Years’ War: After a four-month siege, the Russians under Pyotr Rumyantsev take the Prussian fortress of Kolobrzeg.
- 1914World War I: German battleships under Franz von Hipper bombard the English ports of Hartlepool and Scarborough.
- 1922President of Poland Gabriel Narutowicz is assassinated by Eligiusz Niewiadomski at the Zachęta Gallery in Warsaw.
- 1937Theodore Cole and Ralph Roe attempt to escape from the American federal prison on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay; neither is ever seen again.
- 1942Holocaust: Porajmos – Heinrich Himmler orders that Roma candidates for extermination be deported to Auschwitz.
- 1972Vietnam War: Henry Kissinger announces that North Vietnam has left private peace negotiations, in Paris.
- 1979Libya joins four other OPEC nations in raising crude oil prices, having an immediate dramatic effect on the United States.
- 1989Protests break out in Timişoara in response to an attempt by the government to evict dissident Hungarian pastor László Tőkés.
- 1998Iraq disarmament crisis: Operation Desert Fox – The United States and United Kingdom bomb targets in Iraq.
- 2003President George W. Bush signs the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 into law. The law establishes the United States’ first national standards for the sending of commercial e-mail and requires the Federal Trade Commission to enforce its provisions.
Who were born on December 16?
- 1900V. S. Pritchett, English author and critic (d. 1997)
- 1942Eugene Robert Glazer, American actor
- 1944Don Meyer, Basketball coach Northern State University, David Lipscomb University, and Hamline University
- 1961LaChanze, American singer
- 1962Maruschka Detmers, Dutch actress
- 1970Valerie Chow, Hong Kong actress
- 1971Paul van Dyk, German DJ
- 1979Mihai Trăistariu, Romanian singer
- 1981Gareth Williams, Scottish footballer
- 1993Lola Créton, French actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.