December 17: Day of the Week
December 17, 2019 is the 351st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 14 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
December 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1777France formally recognizes the United States of America.
- 1928Indian revolutionaries Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar and Shivaram Rajguru assassinate British police officer James Saunders in Lahore, Punjab to avenge the death of Lala Lajpat Rai at the hands of the police. The three were executed in 1931.
- 1947First flight of the Boeing B-47 Stratojet strategic bomber.
- 19601960 Munich Convair 340 crash: 20 passengers and crew on board as well as 32 people on the ground are killed.
- 1961Fire in the Gran Circus American in the city of Niterói, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the biggest tragedy in circus history.
- 1969The SALT I talks begin.
- 1989Romanian Revolution: Protests continue in Timişoara with rioters breaking into the Romanian Communist Party’s District Committee building and attempting to set it on fire.
- 2005Anti-WTO protesters riot in Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- 2005Jigme Singye Wangchuck abdicate the throne as King of Bhutan.
- 2010Mohamed Bouazizi set himself on fire.This act became the catalyst for the Tunisian Revolution. The success of the Tunisian protests sparked protests in several other Arab countries.
Who were born on December 17?
- 1778Humphry Davy, English chemist and physicist (d. 1829)
- 1903Ray Noble, English bandleader and actor (d. 1978)
- 1912Edward Short, British politician
- 1936Jorge Bergoglio, Argentine cardinal
- 1943Mary Brunner, American “Manson Family” member
- 1953Samuel Hadida, Morrocan film producer
- 1982Craig Kielburger, Canadian anti-child-labor activist
- 1982Ryan Moats, American football player
- 1982Stephane Lasme, Gabonese basketball player
- 1983Erik Christensen, Canadian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.