December 17: Day of the Week
December 17, 2019 is the 351st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 14 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
December 17 Historical Event(s)
- 942Assassination of William I of Normandy.
- 1583Cologne War: Forces under Ernest of Bavaria defeats the troops under Gebhard Truchsess von Waldburg at the Siege of Godesberg.
- 1600Marriage of Henry IV of France and Marie de' Medici.
- 1777France formally recognizes the United States of America.
- 1812War of 1812: U.S. forces attack a friendly Lenape village in the Battle of the Mississinewa.
- 1907Ugyen Wangchuck is crowned first King of Bhutan
- 1918Culmination of the Darwin Rebellion as some 1000 demonstrators march on Government House in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia.
- 1961Fire in the Gran Circus American in the city of Niterói, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the biggest tragedy in circus history.
- 1967Prime Minister of Australia Harold Holt disappears while swimming near Portsea, Victoria and is presumed drowned.
- 2005Anti-WTO protesters riot in Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Who were born on December 17?
- 1797Joseph Henry, American physicist (d. 1878).
- 1842Sophus Lie, Norwegian mathematician; (d. 1899)
- 1859Paul César Helleu, French artist (d. 1927)
- 1881Aubrey Faulkner, South African cricketer (d. 1930)
- 1892Sam Barry, American basketball coach (d. 1950)
- 1914Fernando Alonso, Cuban ballet dancer and instructor
- 1929Jacqueline Hill, English actress (d. 1993)
- 1944Jack L. Chalker, American novelist (d. 2005)
- 1973Paula Radcliffe, English runner
- 1980Ryan Hunter-Reay, American race car driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.