December 17: Day of the Week
December 17, 2020 is the 352nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 14 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Daniela’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
December 17 Historical Event(s)
- 942Assassination of William I of Normandy.
- 1807France issues the Milan Decree, which confirms the Continental System.
- 1907Ugyen Wangchuck is crowned first King of Bhutan
- 1926Antanas Smetona assumes power in Lithuania as the 1926 coup d'état is successful.
- 1939World War II: Battle of the River Plate – The Admiral Graf Spee is scuttled by Captain Hans Langsdorff outside Montevideo.
- 1950The F-86 Sabre’s first mission over Korea.
- 1970Polish 1970 protests: In Gdynia soldiers fire at workers emerging from trains, killing dozens.
- 1989Romanian Revolution: Protests continue in Timişoara with rioters breaking into the Romanian Communist Party’s District Committee building and attempting to set it on fire.
- 1997The United Kingdom commences its Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, which extends the state’s gun ban to include all handguns—with the exception of antique and show weapons.
- 2010Mohamed Bouazizi set himself on fire.This act became the catalyst for the Tunisian Revolution. The success of the Tunisian protests sparked protests in several other Arab countries.
Who were born on December 17?
- 1894Arthur Fiedler, American conductor (d. 1979)
- 1914Raymond Fernandez, American convicted murderer (d. 1951)
- 1922Alan Voorhees, American engineer and urban planner (d. 2005)
- 1934Ray Wilson, English footballer
- 1945Cees de Wolf, Dutch footballer (d. 2011)
- 1950Laurence F. Johnson, American educator
- 1955Brad Davis, American basketball player
- 1959Albert King, American basketball player
- 1976Takeo Spikes, American football player
- 1980Alexandra Papageorgiou, Greek hammer thrower
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.