December 17: Day of the Week
December 17, 2020 is the 352nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 14 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Dolores’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
December 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1583Cologne War: Forces under Ernest of Bavaria defeats the troops under Gebhard Truchsess von Waldburg at the Siege of Godesberg.
- 1928Indian revolutionaries Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar and Shivaram Rajguru assassinate British police officer James Saunders in Lahore, Punjab to avenge the death of Lala Lajpat Rai at the hands of the police. The three were executed in 1931.
- 1941World War II: Japanese forces land in Northern Borneo.
- 1969Project Blue Book: The United States Air Force closes its study of UFOs, stating that sightings are generated as a result of “A mild form of mass hysteria, Individuals who fabricate such reports to perpetrate a hoax or seek publicity, psychopathological persons, and misidentification of various conventional objects.”
- 1983The IRA bombs Harrods Department Store in London, killing six people.
- 1989Fernando Collor de Mello defeats Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva in the second round of the Brazilian presidential election, becoming the first democratically elected President in almost 30 years.
- 1997The United Kingdom commences its Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, which extends the state’s gun ban to include all handguns—with the exception of antique and show weapons.
- 2002Second Congo War: The Congolese parties of the Inter Congolese Dialogue sign a peace accord which makes provision for transitional governance and legislative and presidential elections within two years.
- 2003SpaceShipOne flight 11P, piloted by Brian Binnie, makes its first supersonic flight.
- 2009MV Danny F II sinks off the coast of Lebanon, resulting in the deaths of 44 people and over 28,000 animals.
Who were born on December 17?
- 1734Maria I of Portugal, Portuguese queen (d. 1816)
- 1796Thomas Chandler Haliburton, Canadian novelist (d. 1865)
- 1835Alexander Emanuel Agassiz, American scientist; son of Louis Agassiz (d. 1910)
- 1913Burt Baskin, American entrepreneur (Baskin and Robbins) (d. 1967)
- 1921Lore Berger, Swiss writer (d. 1943)
- 1964Ginger, English singer and guitarist (The Wildhearts)
- 1980Alexandra Papageorgiou, Greek hammer thrower
- 1982Craig Kielburger, Canadian anti-child-labor activist
- 1983Bryan Jurynec, American ice hockey player
- 1984Luis Maria Alfageme, Argentine footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.