December 17: Day of the Week
December 17, 2021 is the 351st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 14 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EVASOBILVA? Check your answers here: Words with these letters EVASOBILVA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1577Francis Drake sails from Plymouth, England, on a secret mission to explore the Pacific Coast of the Americas for English Queen Elizabeth I.
- 1586Emperor Go-Yozei becomes Emperor of Japan.
- 1807France issues the Milan Decree, which confirms the Continental System.
- 1812War of 1812: U.S. forces attack a friendly Lenape village in the Battle of the Mississinewa.
- 1903The Wright Brothers make their first powered and heavier-than-air flight in the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- 1918Culmination of the Darwin Rebellion as some 1000 demonstrators march on Government House in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia.
- 1973Terrorism: 30 passengers are killed in an attack by Palestinian terrorists on Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci Airport.
- 2005Anti-WTO protesters riot in Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- 2005Jigme Singye Wangchuck abdicate the throne as King of Bhutan.
- 2009MV Danny F II sinks off the coast of Lebanon, resulting in the deaths of 44 people and over 28,000 animals.
Who were born on December 17?
- 1900Mary Cartwright, English mathematician (d. 1998)
- 1903Ray Noble, English bandleader and actor (d. 1978)
- 1951Tatyana Kazankina, Soviet athlete
- 1955Brad Davis, American basketball player
- 1958Mike Mills, American musician (R.E.M.)
- 1973Konstadinos Gatsioudis, Greek javelin thrower
- 1973Paula Radcliffe, English runner
- 1973Rian Johnson, American writer and director
- 1982Josh Barfield, American baseball player
- 1989Taylor York, American rock guitarist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.