December 18: Day of the Week
December 18, 2021 is the 352nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 13 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PJKOKMODEA? Check your answers here: Word solver PJKOKMODEA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1777The United States celebrates its first Thanksgiving, marking the recent victory by the Americans over General John Burgoyne in the Battle of Saratoga in October.
- 1793Surrender of the frigate La Lutine by French Royalists to Lord Hood; renamed HMS Lutine, she later becomes a famous treasure wreck.
- 1878The Al-Thani family become the rulers of the state of Qatar
- 1888Richard Wetherill and his brother in-law discover the ancient Indian ruins of Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde.
- 1900The Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook Narrow-gauge (2 ft 6 in or 762 mm) Railway (now the Puffing Billy Railway) in Victoria, Australia is opened for traffic.
- 1916World War I: The Battle of Verdun ends when German forces under Chief of Staff Erich Von Falkenhayn are defeated by the French, and suffer 337,000 casualties.
- 1932The Chicago Bears defeat the Portsmouth Spartans 9-0 in the first ever NFL Championship Game. Because of a blizzard, the game is moved from Wrigley Field to the Chicago Stadium, the field measuring 80 yd long.
- 1972Vietnam War: President Richard Nixon announces that the United States will engage North Vietnam in Operation Linebacker II, a series of Christmas bombings, after peace talks collapsed with North Vietnam on the 13th.
- 1987Larry Wall releases the first version of the Perl programming language.
- 2006United Arab Emirates holds its first-ever elections.
Who were born on December 18?
- 1707Charles Wesley, English Methodist hymnist (d. 1788)
- 1778Joseph Grimaldi, English clown (d. 1837)
- 1908Paul Siple, American Antarctic explorer (d. 1969)
- 1929Józef Cardinal Glemp, Cardinal-Archbishop Emeritus of Warsaw
- 1935Jacques Pépin, French chef
- 1942Harvey Atkin, Canadian actor
- 1968Alejandro Sanz, Spanish singer
- 1972Raymond Herrera, American drummer (Fear Factory) and businessman
- 1975Masaki Sumitani, Japanese comedian
- 1983Andy Fantuz, Canadian football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.