December 2: Day of the Week
December 2, 2023 is the 336th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 29 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZJIONPDIIG? Check your answers here: Word finder ZJIONPDIIG. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1775The USS Alfred becomes the first vessel to fly the Grand Union Flag (the precursor to the Stars and Stripes); the flag is hoisted by John Paul Jones.
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Austerlitz – French troops under Napoleon Bonaparte defeat a joint Russo-Austrian force.
- 1851French President Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte overthrows the Second Republic.
- 1859Militant abolitionist leader John Brown is hanged for his October 16th raid on Harper’s Ferry.
- 1920Following more than a month of Turkish-Armenian War, the Turkish dictated Treaty of Alexandropol is concluded.
- 1943A Luftwaffe bombing raid on the harbour of Bari, Italy, sinks numerous cargo and transport ships, including an American Liberty ship, the John Harvey, with a stockpile of World War I-era mustard gas.
- 1947Jerusalem Riots of 1947: Riots break out in Jerusalem in response to the approval of the 1947 UN Partition Plan.
- 1956The Granma yacht reaches the shores of Cuba’s Oriente province and Fidel Castro, Che Guevara and 80 other members of the 26th of July Movement disembark to initiate the Cuban Revolution.
- 1962Vietnam War: After a trip to Vietnam at the request of US President John F. Kennedy, US Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield becomes the first American official not to make an optimistic public comment on the war’s progress.
- 1988Benazir Bhutto is sworn in as Prime Minister of Pakistan, becoming the first woman to head the government of an Islam-dominated state.
Who were born on December 2?
- 1846Pierre Waldeck-Rousseau, French statesman (d. 1904)
- 1884Erima Harvey Northcroft, New Zealand lawyer and judge (d. 1953)
- 1963Brendan Coyle, English actor
- 1967Laurie Morgan, Channel Islands chief minister
- 1971Wilson Jermaine Heredia, American actor
- 1972Sergei Zholtok, Latvian ice hockey player (d. 2004)
- 1978Chris Wolstenholme, British bassist (Muse)
- 1981Britney Spears, American singer, dancer and entertainer
- 1986Tal Wilkenfeld, Australian electric bass player
- 1988Alfred Enoch, British actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.