December 21: Day of the Week
December 21, 2019 is the 355th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 10 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
December 21: This Day in History
This is a frequent day for the winter solstice to occur in the northern hemisphere and summer solstice to occur in the southern hemisphere.
December 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1598Battle of Curalaba: The revolting Mapuche, led by cacique Pelentaru, inflict a major defeat on Spanish troops in southern Chile.
- 1620Plymouth Colony: William Bradford and the Mayflower Pilgrims land on what is now known as Plymouth Rock in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- 1844The Rochdale Pioneers commence business at their cooperative in Rochdale, England, starting the Cooperative movement.
- 1872Challenger expedition: HMS Challenger, commanded by Captain George Nares, sails from Portsmouth.
- 1907The Chilean Army commits a massacre of at least 2,000 striking saltpeter miners in in Iquique, Chile.
- 1910An underground explosion at the Hulton Bank Colliery No. 3 Pit in Over Hulton, Westhoughton, England, kills 344 miners.
- 1913Arthur Wynne’s “word-cross”, the first crossword puzzle, is published in the New York World.
- 1962Rondane National Park is established as Norway’s first national park.
- 1994Mexican volcano Popocatepetl, dormant for 47 years, erupts gases and ash.
- 1999The Spanish Civil Guard intercepts a van loaded with 950 kg of explosives that ETA intended to use to blow up Torre Picasso in Madrid.
Who were born on December 21?
- 1603Roger Williams, English theologian and founder of the American colony Providence Plantations (d. 1684)
- 1876Jack Lang, Australian politician (d. 1975)
- 1909Seicho Matsumoto, Japanese mystery writer and journalist (d. 1992)
- 1920Bob Bindig, American cartoonist (d. 2006)
- 1942Hu Jintao, Chinese president
- 1953Betty Wright, American singer
- 1960Roger McDowell, American baseball player
- 1972Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy, Indian politician
- 1985James Stewart Jr., American motorcycle racer
- 1987Valerie Concepcion, Filipino actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.