December 21: Day of the Week
December 21, 2020 is the 356th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 10 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ONMAUIHJUJ? Check your answers here: Words with these letters ONMAUIHJUJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 21: This Day in History
This is a frequent day for the winter solstice to occur in the northern hemisphere and summer solstice to occur in the southern hemisphere.
December 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1140Conrad III of Germany besieged Weinsberg.
- 1598Battle of Curalaba: The revolting Mapuche, led by cacique Pelentaru, inflict a major defeat on Spanish troops in southern Chile.
- 1872Challenger expedition: HMS Challenger, commanded by Captain George Nares, sails from Portsmouth.
- 1913Arthur Wynne’s “word-cross”, the first crossword puzzle, is published in the New York World.
- 1937Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the world’s first full-length animated feature, premieres at the Carthay Circle Theater.
- 1941World War II: A formal treaty of alliance between Thailand and Japan is signed in the presence of the Emerald Buddha in Wat Phra Kaew.
- 1946An 8.1 Mw earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Nankaidō, Japan, kill over 1,300 people and destroy over 38,000 homes.
- 1988A bomb explodes on board Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, killing 270.
- 1992A Dutch DC-10, flight Martinair MP 495, crashes at Faro Airport, killing 56 people.
- 1999The Spanish Civil Guard intercepts a van loaded with 950 kg of explosives that ETA intended to use to blow up Torre Picasso in Madrid.
Who were born on December 21?
- 1851Thomas Chipman McRae, American politician (d. 1929)
- 1885Frank Patrick, Canadian hockey player (d. 1960)
- 1920Alicia Alonso, Cuban ballerina
- 1922Itubwa Amram, Nauruan pastor and politician (d. 1989)
- 1946Christopher Keene, American conductor (d. 1995)
- 1951Nick Gilder, English musician (Sweeney Todd)
- 1971Matthieu Chedid, French musician
- 1972Erwin Schrott, Uruguayan opera singer
- 1987Brad Howard, Australian footballer
- 1989Tamannaah, Indian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.