December 22: Day of the Week
December 22, 2021 is the 356th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 9 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EUNLIW? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters EUNLIW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1769Sino-Burmese War (1765–1769) ends with an uneasy truce.
- 1790The Turkish fortress of Izmail is stormed and captured by Suvorov and his Russian armies.
- 1885Ito Hirobumi, a samurai, became the first Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1944World War II: The People’s Army of Vietnam is formed to resist Japanese occupation of Indo-China, now Vietnam.
- 1965In the United Kingdom, a 70 mph speed limit is applied to all rural roads including motorways for the first time. Previously, there had been no speed limit.
- 1974Grande Comore, Anjouan and Mohéli vote to become the independent nation of Comoros. Mayotte remains under French administration.
- 1989After a week of bloody demonstrations, Ion Iliescu takes over as president of Romania, ending Nicolae Ceauşescu’s Communist authoritarian regime.
- 1989Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate re-opens after nearly 30 years, effectively ending the division of East and West Germany.
- 1997Hussein Aidid relinquishes the disputed title of President of Somalia by signing the Cairo Declaration, in Cairo, Egypt. It is the first major step towards reconciliation in Somalia since 1991.
- 2010The repeal of the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy, the 17-year-old policy banning on homosexuals serving openly in the United States military, is signed into law by President Barack Obama.
Who were born on December 22?
- 1178Emperor Antoku of Japan (d. 1185)
- 1765Johann Friedrich Pfaff, German mathematician (d. 1825)
- 1805John Obadiah Westwood, British entomologist (d. 1893)
- 1869Edwin Arlington Robinson, American poet (d. 1935)
- 1921Hawkshaw Hawkins, American country singer (d. 1963)
- 1944Steve Carlton, American baseball player
- 1949Maurice Gibb, English musician (The Bee Gees) (d. 2003)
- 1968Dina Meyer, American actress
- 1974Heather Donahue, American actress
- 1998G. Hannelius, American child actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.