December 22: Day of the Week
December 22, 2019 is the 356th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 9 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
December 22 Historical Event(s)
- 69Emperor Vitellius is captured and murdered at the Gemonian stairs in Rome.
- 1864Savannah, Georgia falls to General William Tecumseh Sherman, concluding his “March to the Sea”.
- 1894The Dreyfus affair begins in France, when Alfred Dreyfus is wrongly convicted of treason.
- 1944World War II: Battle of the Bulge – German troops demand the surrender of United States troops at Bastogne, Belgium, prompting the famous one word reply by General Anthony McAuliffe: “Nuts!”
- 1956Colo, the first gorilla to be bred in captivity, is born at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio.
- 1989Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate re-opens after nearly 30 years, effectively ending the division of East and West Germany.
- 1990The Parliament of Croatia adopts the current Constitution of Croatia.
- 1999Korean Air Cargo Flight 8509, a Boeing 747-200F crashes shortly after take-off from London Stansted Airport due to pilot error. All 4 crew members are killed.
- 2001Richard Reid attempts to destroy a passenger airliner by igniting explosives hidden in his shoes aboard American Airlines Flight 63.
- 2010The repeal of the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy, the 17-year-old policy banning on homosexuals serving openly in the United States military, is signed into law by President Barack Obama.
Who were born on December 22?
- 244Diocletian, Roman Emperor (d. 311)
- 1095Roger II of Sicily, King of Sicily (d. 1154)
- 1860Austin Norman Palmer, American penmanship innovator (d. 1927)
- 1888J. Arthur Rank, British film producer (d. 1972)
- 1901André Kostelanetz, American popular music orchestra leader and arranger (d. 1980)
- 1905Kenneth Rexroth, American poet (d. 1982)
- 1925Lewis Glucksman, American financier (d. 2006)
- 1939James Gurley, American musician (d. 2009)
- 1947Brian Daley, American science-fiction writer (d. 1996)
- 1975Sergei Aschwanden, Swiss judoka
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.