December 22: Day of the Week
December 22, 2022 is the 356th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 9 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LQUHIBAIAY? Check your answers here: Word solver LQUHIBAIAY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1807The Embargo Act, forbidding trade with all foreign countries, is passed by the U.S. Congress, at the urging of President Thomas Jefferson.
- 1920The GOELRO economic development plan is adopted by the 8th Congress of Soviets of the Russian SFSR.
- 1944World War II: Battle of the Bulge – German troops demand the surrender of United States troops at Bastogne, Belgium, prompting the famous one word reply by General Anthony McAuliffe: “Nuts!”
- 1947The Constituent Assembly of Italy approves the Constitution of Italy.
- 1963The cruise ship Lakonia burns 180 mi north of Madeira with the loss of 128 lives.
- 1974Grande Comore, Anjouan and Mohéli vote to become the independent nation of Comoros. Mayotte remains under French administration.
- 1989After a week of bloody demonstrations, Ion Iliescu takes over as president of Romania, ending Nicolae Ceauşescu’s Communist authoritarian regime.
- 1997Hussein Aidid relinquishes the disputed title of President of Somalia by signing the Cairo Declaration, in Cairo, Egypt. It is the first major step towards reconciliation in Somalia since 1991.
- 1998Hurricane Quinto strikes the Cayman Islands, knocking out power to the entire island for 2 days. Looting is rampant, but contained after 12 hours.
- 2001Richard Reid attempts to destroy a passenger airliner by igniting explosives hidden in his shoes aboard American Airlines Flight 63.
Who were born on December 22?
- 1694Hermann Samuel Reimarus, German philosopher and writer (d. 1768)
- 1696James Oglethorpe, English general and founder of the state of Georgia (d. 1785)
- 1819Pierre Ossian Bonnet, French mathematician (d. 1892)
- 1862Connie Mack, American baseball executive (d. 1956)
- 1907Dame Peggy Ashcroft, English actress (d. 1991)
- 1921Dimitri Fampas, Greek classical guitarist (d. 1996)
- 1936Wojciech Frykowski, Polish actor (d. 1969)
- 1971Pat Mastroianni, Canadian actor
- 1976Katleen De Caluwé, Belgian athlete
- 1983Drew Hankinson, American professional wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.