December 23: Day of the Week
December 23, 2020 is the 358th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 8 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OOWOWVWE? Check your answers here: Word finder OOWOWVWE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1823A Visit from St. Nicholas, also known as The Night Before Christmas, is published anonymously.
- 1913The Federal Reserve Act is signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson, creating the Federal Reserve.
- 1914World War I: Australian and New Zealand troops arrive in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1936First flight of the Vickers Wellington bomber.
- 1941World War II: After 15 days of fighting, the Japanese Imperial Army occupies Wake Island.
- 1947The transistor is first demonstrated at Bell Laboratories.
- 1972The 16 survivors of the Andes flight disaster are rescued after 73 days, having survived by cannibalism.
- 1982The United States Environmental Protection Agency announces it has identified dangerous levels of dioxin in the soil of Times Beach, Missouri.
- 1986Voyager, piloted by Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager, lands at Edwards Air Force Base in California becoming the first aircraft to fly non-stop around the world without aerial or ground refueling.
- 1990History of Slovenia: In a referendum, 88.5% of Slovenia’s overall electorate vote for independence from Yugoslavia.
Who were born on December 23?
- 1173Louis I, Duke of Bavaria (d. 1231)
- 1513Thomas Smith, English diplomat and scholar (d. 1577)
- 1907Avraham Stern, Polish-born Zionist leader (d. 1942)
- 1907Manuel Lopes, Cape Verdean writer and poet (d. 2005)
- 1923Onofre Marimón, Argentine racing driver (d. 1954)
- 1943Silvia Sommerlath, Queen of Sweden
- 1956Dave Murray, English musician (Iron Maiden)
- 1963Donna Tartt, American author
- 1981Beth, Spanish singer
- 1983Carlos Jimenez, Spanish basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.