December 24: Day of the Week
December 24, 2021 is the 358th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 7 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters YHAIXU? Check your answers here: Word search YHAIXU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1906Radio: Reginald Fessenden transmits the first radio broadcast; consisting of a poetry reading, a violin solo, and a speech.
- 1911Lackawanna Cut-Off railway line opens in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- 1914World War I: The “Christmas truce” begins.
- 1929Assassination attempt on Argentine President Hipólito Yrigoyen.
- 1939World War II: Pope Pius XII makes a Christmas Eve appeal for peace.
- 1941World War II: Kuching is conquered by Japanese forces.
- 1951Libya becomes independent from Italy. Idris I is proclaimed King of Libya.
- 1953Tangiwai disaster: A railway bridge is destroyed by a lahar at Tangiwai, in the Central North Island of New Zealand, sending a fully loaded passenger train into the Whangaehu River, and killing 153 people.
- 2000The Texas 7 hold up a sports store in Irving, Texas. Police officer Aubrey Hawkins is murdered during the robbery.
- 2003The Spanish police thwart an attempt by ETA to detonate 50 kg of explosives at 3:55 p.m. inside Madrid’s busy Chamartín Station.
Who were born on December 24?
- 1389John VI, Duke of Brittany (d. 1442)
- 1635Mariana of Austria, second wife of king Philip IV of Spain (d. 1696)
- 1822Matthew Arnold, British poet (d. 1888)
- 1837Elisabeth of Bavaria, also known as Sissi, Empress of Austria (d. 1898)
- 1894Georges Guynemer, French aviator (d. 1917)
- 1923George Patton IV, American general (d. 2004)
- 1945Lemmy, British singer, bassist (Motörhead)
- 1950Dana Gioia, American poet
- 1963Mary Ramsey, American singer (10,000 Maniacs)
- 1981Dima Bilan, Russian pop artist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.