December 26: Day of the Week
December 26, 2023 is the 360th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 5 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AEIWCXIXR? Check your answers here: Word search AEIWCXIXR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
December 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1776American Revolutionary War: The British are defeated in the Battle of Trenton.
- 1805Austria and France sign the Treaty of Pressburg.
- 1862The largest mass-hanging in U.S. history took place in Mankato, Minnesota, 38 Native Americans die.
- 1871Gilbert and Sullivan collaborate for the first time, on their lost opera, Thespis. It does modestly well, but the two would not collaborate again for four years.
- 1898Marie and Pierre Curie announce the isolation of radium.
- 1945CFP franc and CFA franc are created.
- 1948Cardinal József Mindszenty is arrested in Hungary and accused of treason and conspiracy.
- 1998Iraq announces its intention to fire upon U.S. and British warplanes that patrol the northern and southern no-fly zones.
- 2005A gang-related shooting on a busy shopping street in Toronto kills one and injures six.
- 2006An oil pipeline in Lagos, Nigeria explodes, killing at least 260.
Who were born on December 26?
- 1837George Dewey, U. S. admiral (d. 1917)
- 1913Frank Swift, English footballer and journalist (d. 1958)
- 1927Denis Quilley, British actor (d. 2003)
- 1930Jean Ferrat, French singer and songwriter
- 1947James T. Conway, 34th Commandant of the United States Marine Corps
- 1948Candy Crowley, American journalist
- 1958Adrian Newey, British engineer
- 1973Gianluca Faliva, Italian rugby player
- 1982Kenneth Darby, American football player
- 2000Samuel Sevian, American chess player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.