December 31: Day of the Week
December 31, 2020 is the 366th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OQUPTISP? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters OQUPTISP. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 31: This Day in History
It is widely known as New Year’s Eve since the following day is New Year’s Day. It is the last day of the year.
December 31 Historical Event(s)
- 406Vandals, Alans and Suebians cross the Rhine, beginning an invasion of Gaul.
- 1225The Ly Dynasty of Vietnam ends after 216 years by the enthronement of the boy emperor Tran Thai Tong, husband of the last Ly monarch, Ly Chieu Hoang, starting the Tran Dynasty.
- 1790Efimeris, the oldest Greek newspaper of which issues have survived till today is published for the first time.
- 1857Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa, Ontario, then a small logging town, as the capital of Canada.
- 1862American Civil War: Abraham Lincoln signs an act that admits West Virginia to the Union, thus dividing Virginia in two.
- 1965Jean-Bédel Bokassa, leader of the Central African Republic army, and his military officers begins a coup d'état against the government of President David Dacko.
- 1998The European Exchange Rate Mechanism freezes the values of the legacy currencies in the Eurozone, and establishes the value of the euro currency.
- 1999Boris Yeltsin, the first president of Russia, resigns as President of Russia, leaving Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as the acting President.
- 1999Five hijackers, who had been holding 155 hostages on an Indian Airlines plane, leave the plane with two Islamic clerics that they had demanded be freed.
- 1999The United States Government hands control of the Panama Canal (as well all the adjacent land to the canal known as the Panama Canal Zone) to Panama. This act complied with the signing of the 1977 Torrijos-Carter Treaties.
Who were born on December 31?
- 1884Bobby Byrne, American baseball player (d. 1964)
- 1901Julia Bathory, Hungarian glass designer(d. 2000)
- 1947Tim Matheson, American actor
- 1960John Allen Muhammad, American spree killer (d. 2009)
- 1963Konishiki, American sumo wrestler
- 1965Gong Li, Chinese actress
- 1971Esteban Loaiza, Mexican Major League Baseball player
- 1973Malcolm Middleton, Scottish musician (Arab Strap)
- 1978Elizabeth Arden, Canadian businesswomen
- 1980Richie McCaw, New Zealand rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.