December 5: Day of the Week
December 5, 2023 was the 339th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 26 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters VUZOUPXDQIEX? Check your answers here: Word finder VUZOUPXDQIEX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
December 5 Historical Event(s)
- 63 BCCicero gave the fourth and final Catiline Orations.
- 663Fourth Council of Toledo takes place.
- 1484Pope Innocent VIII issues the Summis desiderantes, a papal bull that deputizes Heinrich Kramer and James Sprenger as inquisitors to root out alleged witchcraft in Germany and leads to one of the most oppressive witch hunts in European history.
- 1848California Gold Rush: In a message before the U.S. Congress, US President James K. Polk confirms that large amounts of gold had been discovered in California.
- 1932German-born Swiss physicist Albert Einstein is granted an American visa.
- 1934Abyssinia Crisis: Italian troops attack Wal Wal in Abyssinia, taking four days to capture the city.
- 1945Flight 19 is lost in the Bermuda Triangle.
- 1955The American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations merge and form the AFL-CIO.
- 1974In American football, the Birmingham Americans would win what would eventually be the only World Bowl in World Football League history.
- 1993The mayor of Wien (Vienna), Helmut Zilk, is wounded by a letter bomb.
Who were born on December 5?
- 1595Henry Lawes, English composer (d. 1662)
- 1859John Jellicoe, British admiral (d. 1935)
- 1867Antti Aarne, Finnish folklorist (d. 1925)
- 1896Carl Ferdinand Cori, Austrian-born biochemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1984)
- 1903Cecil Frank Powell, English physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1969)
- 1956Klaus Allofs, German footballer
- 1967Konstantin-Assen, Prince of Vidin, titular Bulgarian royal family
- 1973Mikelangelo Loconte, Italian singer
- 1982Keri Hilson, American singer
- 1987Tommy Fraser, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.