December 6: Day of the Week
December 6, 2019 is the 340th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 25 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
December 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1240Mongol invasion of Rus': Kiev under Danylo of Halych and Voivode Dmytro falls to the Mongols under Batu Khan.
- 1648Colonel Pride of the New Model Army purges the Long Parliament of MPs sympathetic to King Charles I of England, in order for the King’s trial to go ahead; came to be known as “Pride’s Purge”.
- 1704Battle of Chamkaur.
- 1917World War I: USS Jacob Jones is the first American destroyer to be sunk by enemy action when it is torpedoed by German submarine ship SM.
- 1956A violent water polo match between Hungary and the USSR takes place during the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, against the backdrop of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.
- 1977South Africa grants independence to Bophuthatswana, although it is not recognized by any other country.
- 1982Droppin Well bombing: The Irish National Liberation Army detonate a bomb in Ballykelly, Northern Ireland, killing eleven British soldiers and six civilians.
- 1991In Croatia, forces of the Yugoslav People’s Army bombard Dubrovnik after laying siege to the city since May.
- 1992The Babri Mosque in Ayodhya, India is demolished, leading to widespread riots causing the death of over 1500 people.
- 2001The Canadian province of Newfoundland is renamed Newfoundland and Labrador.
Who were born on December 6?
- 1805Adolf Reubke, German organ builder (d. 1875)
- 1875Evelyn Underhill, British poet (d. 1941)
- 1908Baby Face Nelson, American bank robber (d. 1934)
- 1945Larry Bowa, American baseball player and manager
- 1950Joe Hisaishi, Japanese composer
- 1978Darrell Jackson, American football player
- 1978Ramiro Pez, Argentine-born Italian rugby player
- 1984Syndric Steptoe, American football player
- 1985Aristeidis Grigoriadis, Greek swimmer
- 1995Joy Gruttmann, German singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.